Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

Very nice write-up, and glad you are happy. Several things stand out in what you have said, firstly the color scheme which I too would really enjoy. Secondly, how important the shaft is and Driver fitting and successful performance. Another thing that I find interesting is your change of ball trajectory incorporating a slight draw. When I changed my swing around and brought a draw into play, I gained probably 40 yards in length with my Callaway XR 16 driver which is about 5 years old now. I am 65 and have a 95 mile per hour swing speed so I am sort of in a similar situation as you. I have to believe the technology of the B21 is fabulous, but I would have to give credit just as much to a properly fitted shaft and the type of swing that is put on a ball. Comparing the B21 to my xr16 I would have to believe the B21 is a bit more forgiving in terms of dispersion, how much I am not sure. Is it worth it for me to get a B21 to replace my xr16, that is the $500 question.
I agree that the swing change is part of it, but one thing I meant to say in my review is that I started the swing change with my TS3 2 months ago. The change has really taken hold the last 2-3 weeks because this driver is so good at reducing side spin. Over the last 50 holes I have kept getting more and more aggressive and more trusting of the swing because even on a mishit I get great distance and straitish flight. A good swing is the main priority in golf, but a club that makes you confident enough to swing that swing without hesitation is a big help.

I guess the way I would rationalize it out would be to think if I was the owner of the driver and didn't hit it very well or it didn't work out for me, how much would I sell it for used.? $285 sounds about right to me, especially if I wanted to get rid of it quickly. Again, I hope it works out for you, I'm sort of a skeptical individual and would be a bit concerned myself.

I agree with this point totally. Even though this is a Callaway club we are talking about here I feel that it will be somewhat like the Cortex was for Wilson. The Cortex was $500 new IIRC, they can be had now for like $140 new. I dont think this club will hold its value like the mavrik or epic flash and so on mostly because it appeals to a smaller market than most. I traded mine and was happy to move it because I hit it so terrible.

I hate you guys.

I agree with this point totally. Even though this is a Callaway club we are talking about here I feel that it will be somewhat like the Cortex was for Wilson. The Cortex was $500 new IIRC, they can be had now for like $140 new. I dont think this club will hold its value like the mavrik or epic flash and so on mostly because it appeals to a smaller market than most. I traded mine and was happy to move it because I hit it so terrible.
I think they should have marketed it with more shafts. The RCH is very tip soft. There are many golfers who just don't like that feel at all and that doesn't mean the head isn't any good, it just means the shaft is not a good fit or feel for those golfers. Other golfers will love it. To me releasing a club with only a shaft that fits 1 type of golfer is a mistake. One of the biggest problems is that golfers who don't fit that shaft will go out and hit it and then gripe about the club online. If I had only used the RCH shaft my review on this club would be bad, but I bought a shaft that fits and this club is a winner for me. How many are going to do that is a question? Callaway sometimes shoots themselves in the foot with their narrow shaft marketing, especially considering all the no upcharge options they are offering with this club to limit the marketing to the RCH shaft limits the appeal of the club to the market of golfers who fit that shaft.

I think they should have marketed it with more shafts. The RCH is very tip soft. There are many golfers who just don't like that feel at all and that doesn't mean the head isn't any good, it just means the shaft is not a good fit or feel for those golfers. Other golfers will love it. To me releasing a club with only a shaft that fits 1 type of golfer is a mistake. One of the biggest problems is that golfers who don't fit that shaft will go out and hit it and then gripe about the club online. If I had only used the RCH shaft my review on this club would be bad, but I bought a shaft that fits and this club is a winner for me. How many are going to do that is a question? Callaway sometimes shoots themselves in the foot with their narrow shaft marketing, especially considering all the no upcharge options they are offering with this club to limit the marketing to the RCH shaft limits the appeal of the club to the market of golfers who fit that shaft.

I'm genuinely confused.
They release a driver with a stock shaft like every other brand.
They also release a large amount of no cost shaft choices.

What were they supposed to do differently and how is that shooting them in the foot? By giving people the choices you are asking for?

Need an intervention? :cool:
Its too late. I had to add a glove to the order to get it to process because my trade stuff was too much. 10.5, RCH65S, 44.5". Every day, people in here are like, "Well it may not work for everyone, but if you're steep and lose it right..." I are steep and lose it right. Maybe I can get below 3500RPMs.

I'm genuinely confused.
They release a driver with a stock shaft like every other brand.
They also release a large amount of no cost shaft choices.

What were they supposed to do differently and how is that shooting them in the foot? By giving people the choices you are asking for?
It's just not what is in the stores. Like if I go to BudgetGolf I can only get the RCH shaft.

It's just not what is in the stores. Like if I go to BudgetGolf I can only get the RCH shaft.

Inventory.
Most drivers release to B&M stores their stock option with the ability to order custom. This is no different really.
For instance TS2 which had a large number of upgrades on Budget Golf only lists 1 sometimes 2.

Inventory.
Most drivers release to B&M stores their stock option with the ability to order custom. This is no different really.
For instance TS2 which had a large number of upgrades on Budget Golf only lists 1 sometimes 2.
Callaway has a really high % of off the rack sales I would imagine though so having another option off the rack with a different profile would have been nice. What they stock is a marketing choice even though they offer other choices custom. Just talking about the reality in front of the vast majority of the golf market. Obviously this group here is a very particular segment of the market.

Callaway has a really high % of off the rack sales I would imagine though so having another option off the rack with a different profile would have been nice. What they stock is a marketing choice even though they offer other choices custom. Just talking about the reality in front of the vast majority of the golf market. Obviously this group here is a very particular segment of the market.

What they stock would be more a choice of the stores. If a store wants to bring in options they can.
Maybe I am am just confused as its been a long day already. They launch a driver with a shaft they created for the head. They also offer a myriad of choices with no cost upgrade. I am not sure how that is shooting themselves in the foot. Just about any driver launches with a stock shaft and you walk into Dicks or somewhere else and have a flex choice.

There are a select few that have a couple of shafts in stores, otherwise its online or custom ordering. Ping is a perfect example here.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare Wilson to Callaway on resale value. Especially the Cortex. JMO

Its too late. I had to add a glove to the order to get it to process because my trade stuff was too much. 10.5, RCH65S, 44.5". Every day, people in here are like, "Well it may not work for everyone, but if you're steep and lose it right..." I are steep and lose it right. Maybe I can get below 3500RPMs.

What they stock would be more a choice of the stores. If a store wants to bring in options they can.
Maybe I am am just confused as its been a long day already. They launch a driver with a shaft they created for the head. They also offer a myriad of choices with no cost upgrade. I am not sure how that is shooting themselves in the foot. Just about any driver launches with a stock shaft and you walk into Dicks or somewhere else and have a flex choice.

There are a select few that have a couple of shafts in stores, otherwise its online or custom ordering. Ping is a perfect example here.
Maybe that was not a great choice of words. I am comparing to their last foray into this market with the Fusion. I thought it sounded awesome and bought it in the heavy version, but the Recoil shaft they sold it with I just could not hit square so I dumped the driver. 2 months later I went into a store and they had a used Fusion on the used rack with a HZRDUS Yellow in it and I absolutely smoked it and had very consistent ball flight. I bought it and played it for the rest of that season. The Fusion was very poorly received as I recall and set around on shelf forever until it was steeply discounted. The RCH shaft gave me flashbacks of that shaft. I was not only hitting balls to right field I was hitting them foul. That was on a good ballstriking day with the rest of my clubs and with a head I haven't been able to force a slice out of since. I am maybe just being negative toward the shaft for my own purposes, but we already have a member here who bought the driver, played it, and sold it for exactly what I saw in that 1 round before I switched shafts. I just don't want this fantastic product to be underappreciated. Because it's an amazing head IMO.

Maybe that was not a great choice of words. I am comparing to their last foray into this market with the Fusion. I thought it sounded awesome and bought it in the heavy version, but the Recoil shaft they sold it with I just could not hit square so I dumped the driver. 2 months later I went into a store and they had a used Fusion on the used rack with a HZRDUS Yellow in it and I absolutely smoked it and had very consistent ball flight. I bought it and played it for the rest of that season. The Fusion was very poorly received as I recall and set around on shelf forever until it was steeply discounted. The RCH shaft gave me flashbacks of that shaft. I was not only hitting balls to right field I was hitting them foul. That was on a good ballstriking day with the rest of my clubs and with a head I haven't been able to force a slice out of since. I am maybe just being negative toward the shaft for my own purposes, but we already have a member here who bought the driver, played it, and sold it for exactly what I saw in that 1 round before I switched shafts. I just don't want this fantastic product to be underappreciated. Because it's an amazing head IMO.

Can't this potential issue be solved with a fitting? Or if someone is unable to do an in-person fitting, I believe Callaway offers virtual fittings.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare Wilson to Callaway on resale value. Especially the Cortex. JMO
You are absolutely correct, its more apples to oranges if anything. I was just using that as an example (maybe a poor one). The Mavrik was released just a few months ago and I think it still overshadows the release of this driver. My main reason for purchasing it was because I come over the over the top on my swing and slice and....... When I first got into golf back around 2001 my first big purchase was a used Biggest Big Bertha with the RCH 95 shaft in it. It was fun to hit and I think some people will buy this thing for nostalgia purposes but I dont think the sales will be as big as Mavrik and I could see it being considerably less next year.

Fusion was actually a top seller for 3 months straight.
I think the shaft choices at retailers is a tough sell as inventory control is tight with B&M right now. It it is like viewing lofts and how many choices exist, rather than adapters.

Still not sure if I'm going to see this club or not. I now have a tracking number but when I look it up on USPS there's nothing and two messages to "seller" remain unanswered. Will I actually receive this? 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20201006-140826_eBay.jpg

Still not sure if I'm going to see this club or not. I now have a tracking number but when I look it up on USPS there's nothing and two messages to "seller" remain unanswered. Will I actually receive this?

View attachment 8967392

USPS is notorious for the lack of up-to-date tracking info.

Does the seller move a lot of items and have a decent sales reputation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USPS is notorious for the lack of up-to-date tracking info.

Does the seller move a lot of items and have a decent sales reputation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100% Positive feedback, and had a positive rating on a sale from two weeks ago. It just seems like too good of a deal, as several have noticed in here lol

100% Positive feedback, and had a positive rating on a sale from two weeks ago. It just seems like too good of a deal, as several have noticed in here lol
When did the auction end? I've had good luck getting things cheap when the auctions end, like, Tuesday or Wednesday mornings since no one is watching them to snipe and drive the bidding up.

When did the auction end? I've had good luck getting things cheap when the auctions end, like, Tuesday or Wednesday mornings since no one is watching them to snipe and drive the bidding up.
Sunday ~2:30 PM EST.

Guys let's return the conversation to the driver rather than shipping delays and auction sites. I would say start a thread on that separately to continue it.

Thanks everybody.

Guys let's return the conversation to the driver rather than shipping delays and auction sites. I would say start a thread on that separately to continue it.

Thanks everybody.
Sorry about that didn't mean to hijack the thread. Back to the awesome reviews please!

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Back