Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

And speaking of awesome reviews. I was playing golf club shuffle with the spare club sets I have for friends to use when they come to visit. I remembered I had an XR16 in the one bag that I played the first year I got back into golf after a 5 year break. The set is like new and I keep it around so my son or friends don't have to drag clubs on a plane.
I remembered I hit that driver pretty good and decided to pull it out and hit a few shag balls into the lake. The old #3 tee box is across the cove from my backyard and it ranges to 225 yards to the nearest shoreline and it's fun to try to hit the tee box.

I know get to the point. Well the XR16 came with a Red Fujikura Speeder 565 regular flex shaft that I thought might look good with the B 21 and since I hit the XR 16 pretty good I thought I would give it a try in the B 21. The red shaft and red accents on the club head look really good together.

I went to the range today and after a little warm up I started hitting the new combo and surprisingly it is great. I did tweak the optifit back to stated loft and draw bias because the speeder was launching much higher than the RCH 45 did. The biggest take away was not a single slice in 45 balls. A few mini fades, a few draws but for the most part very straight mid/high launch drives with considerable roll out. This club head continues to amaze me.

I got an added bonus today. The gentleman next to me commented on what a good looking club I was swinging, so of course I had to tell him all about THP and how I came about swinging it. I'm sure he will at least be lurking here soon. I had him hit it a few times and his comment was, " I could hit that all day".
The added bonus was he was a former San Diego Golf Academy student that went on to teach in California and later in Georgia until he retired. I got probably one of the best impromptu golf lessons I've ever had and as a result I am now hitting the B 21 not only straighter but several yards farther than before. Looking forward to league play on Thursday to compare line and distance with familiar reference points. I will update again that afternoon.

All in all a very productive day. New shaft combo, better swing mechanics and hopefully a new golf buddy, and at my age the later is just as important as the former two items.
Thanks again Klein, (sp) and I hope we cross paths again soon.

Still loving the B21 driver, I also have the 3 wood. I did end up ditching the RCH 65 in both. I have a Fuji Speeder 661 IV in the 3w and a Fuji Speeder 569 IV in the driver. I love Speeder shafts, stable, great kick and works for my swing. I usually play shorter driver, around 44.5", buy I'm keeping this at 5.25". So some reason the extra length hasn't bothered me with this driver.

Looks like I am the odd man out. Just not finding the B21 as long or more forgiving than the G410 plus. Thanks to the 90 day playability guarantee I am switching back.

After 5 rounds I am declaring this the best driver ever. It is low enough spin with extreme forgiveness. I don’t normally even fade the ball and this is working for me.

I got a chance to hit one today. The RCH shaft is definitely not for me. The head felt great though and I really like the look of it. I may wait a bit to see if I can grab one on sale and pair it with my RIP X shaft without the lady finding out, just bought a 410 LST about a month ago Ha

I’m surprised at all the negative feedback on the RCH shaft. It is completely different from what I have been fitted into in the past, but it performs! I think it’s an amazing combo with the head!

I’m surprised at all the negative feedback on the RCH shaft. It is completely different from what I have been fitted into in the past, but it performs! I think it’s an amazing combo with the head!
Do you have the 55 or 65?

RCH 55 S

Looks like I am the odd man out. Just not finding the B21 as long or more forgiving than the G410 plus. Thanks to the 90 day playability guarantee I am switching back.
Is there anything worse than being the only guy that the new exciting club doesn’t work for? It’s jappened to me more than once and I hate it,

Is there anything worse than being the only guy that the new exciting club doesn’t work for? It’s jappened to me more than once and I hate it,

He isnt alone, I tried three different shafts and still had the same result. Never could get it dialed in for me. Back to the Mavrik Max.

I think it might the best shaft designed specifically for a club to compliment and amplify its traits that’s I’ve ever seen. That said, it’s definitely not going to fit everyone, I can play it, but there something left on the table. For the segment this head is specifically aimed at though, it’s something people should give a legit hard look to before swapping it out.

He isnt alone, I tried three different shafts and still had the same result. Never could get it dialed in for me. Back to the Mavrik Max.
Nothing wrong with that, we are all different, and no one club fits everyone the best.

For me looking through some data I’m seeing 400 rpm less spin out of this than the Max with the same shaft setup in each. But, I naturally play a fade so it makes sense that this club which is designed to tame that tilted spin axis would spin less.

I think I'm just going to turn off notifications for this thread....I do NOT need another driver...

Nothing wrong with that, we are all different, and no one club fits everyone the best.

For me looking through some data I’m seeing 400 rpm less spin out of this than the Max with the same shaft setup in each. But, I naturally play a fade so it makes sense that this club which is designed to tame that tilted spin axis would spin less.

No doubt! Im mostly disappointed that I didnt see the results that most on this thread did. I mostly hit straight or fade and when I have a bad miss its right. I was hoping to maybe see some draw with it but it just didnt happen. My Mavrik Max is getting the job done so back to it I go.

I think I'm just going to turn off notifications for this thread....I do NOT need another driver...
Better do it man, I read through this thread and (hopefully) bought one off ebay after purchasing an M4 last year. I usually replace my driver every 4-5 years but this thread got to me :LOL:

No doubt! Im mostly disappointed that I didnt see the results that most on this thread did. I mostly hit straight or fade and when I have a bad miss its right. I was hoping to maybe see some draw with it but it just didnt happen. My Mavrik Max is getting the job done so back to it I go.
I think a big misconception is that it is designed to get people to hit a draw, reality is it takes the right miss more than anything by minimalizing that spin jump typically seen on the swipey across the ball misses.

Last edited:
I think a big misconception is that it is designed to get people to hit a draw, reality is it takes the right miss more than anything by minimalizong that spin jump typically seen on the swipey across the ball misses.
Misses should be spelled as stock swing.

Finally putting a heavier weight in this one today to bring the swing weight up to my preferred D5 range. (y)

I think a big misconception is that it is designed to get people to hit a draw, reality is it takes the right miss more than anything by minimalizing that spin jump typically seen on the swipey across the ball misses.
Yeah I still can’t hit a draw with it, but big controlled fades are totally fine by me.

Yeah I still can’t hit a draw with it, but big controlled fades are totally fine by me.
Is this more of a can't hit a draw with a normal swing or even despite my best efforts I can't hit a draw?

After 5 rounds I am declaring this the best driver ever. It is low enough spin with extreme forgiveness. I don’t normally even fade the ball and this is working for me.
This sums it up for me perfectly. I am not a slicer, but this driver is an absolute fairway finder. It is NOT the lowest spin driver, but as you say, it is “low enough.” When you start hitting 80% of your fairways, it makes a difference.

This could be repeated five times. So succinctly and accurately stated.

I think it might the best shaft designed specifically for a club to compliment and amplify its traits that’s I’ve ever seen. That said, it’s definitely not going to fit everyone, I can play it, but there something left on the table. For the segment this head is specifically aimed at though, it’s something people should give a legit hard look to before swapping it out.
I totally agree. For most who would look at this driver, the stock shaft is awesome. For a better player who has speed of 100 or higher, I think a different shaft will optimize performance. My best performance with this driver was when I put in an extremely stiff tip shaft. That’s when it turned into an absolute fairway finding machine with great distance.

Back