Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

Fun fact: you can absolutely spray this one hard right :ROFLMAO:

As always, dumb swings win dumb results. Of course that was on 18 yesterday 😭

I added a heavier weight to the club and now I can actually feel the head in the swing, results have been more promising. The spin retention, or deflection, if you will, is still just shocking at times.

I'm presently paying a Callaway Fusion. After flirting with the Cleveland Launcher turbo this year I ended up going back to the steady Fusion that finds the fairway more often than not. The Cleveland was a tad longer though. My miss is a slice but it's not a common occurrence. I'm not a long hitter, probably in the 92-95 mph range. So all that said, any opinions on if the B21 could actually add some yards? Maybe the lower spin would help? I remember hitting a Cobra King driver a few years back that was low spinning and I simply didn't have the speed needed. Knuckleballs falling from the sky!

Fun fact: you can absolutely spray this one hard right :ROFLMAO:

As always, dumb swings win dumb results. Of course that was on 18 yesterday 😭

This is my reminder that even my really dumb swings will get me dumb results.

Well here it is, looks legit to me but maybe you guys see something I'm missing. Is there a way to have Callaway verify the s/n? Either way I'm excited to put some swings on this, hopefully its not a fake and doesn't just cave in or something :LOL:
20201013_093634.jpg20201013_093615.jpg20201013_093124.jpg

I'm presently paying a Callaway Fusion. After flirting with the Cleveland Launcher turbo this year I ended up going back to the steady Fusion that finds the fairway more often than not. The Cleveland was a tad longer though. My miss is a slice but it's not a common occurrence. I'm not a long hitter, probably in the 92-95 mph range. So all that said, any opinions on if the B21 could actually add some yards? Maybe the lower spin would help? I remember hitting a Cobra King driver a few years back that was low spinning and I simply didn't have the speed needed. Knuckleballs falling from the sky!
Without knowing how far you typically hit it now it’s hard to assess if you’d hit this one longer. But generally, lowere spin has the possibility of more distance.

thanks for reading! maybe the biggest positive takeaway from my first range session was that it's still in the bag for another session. it's a legit threat to the mav max. i don't know that i'm comfortable enough knowing what the ball is going to do, but with one or two more times on the range and it showing out, i may leave it in the bag. personally i thought the rch 55s shaft felt great, but i had a hard time finding the center of the face. my thce16 shaft (70g, 5.7 flex [between stiff and regular], higher torque, similar to evenflow blue) really unlocked this driver's potential for me.
The ball will go far and most likely strait is my experience. I never hit a Mav Max to compare though.

I'm tempted to try this out with other shafts I have, because that's way easier than trying to fix my swing.

Without knowing how far you typically hit it now it’s hard to assess if you’d hit this one longer. But generally, lower spin has the possibility of more distance.
A good drive is 240 ish. Most often I'm probably closer to the 225-235 range.

A good drive is 240 ish. Most often I'm probably closer to the 225-235 range.
According to Trackman Optimizer it appears you are just about maxed out on driver distances. However, I have a hard time believing you won't see extra distance with a new driver that gives you extra forgiveness and the ability to dial in spin, especially since your current gamer is 15 years old.

1602611551447.png

I love my Epic Flash Driver, I love my Epic Flash Driver......
(Wonder how a B21 would play with my Nemesys 55 Four Shaft - Dang you, you Enablers!)
I think you’d enjoy the stock RCH. A lot.

Seconded.

Forgot to pack this in my main bag before leaving this weekend. Going to try and get some more range time with it this week before my scramble tournament coming up. This weekend with the Mav Std. I was a little Jekyll & Hyde. First round I was hitting some great shots, leading to a great score. Second day was all over the place and my abysmal score proved the impact of a bad tee day for me. Would have been nice to be able to aim down the left side and just let it rip... Going to tinker with the settings a bit more as well.

You put a good swing on it and you’re rewarded, swing it poorly and it really minimizes the negatives and you typically can still hit the fairway. It’s down right amazing what this thing can do!

It's feedback like this that keeps me interested in this club. Going to be a hard ponder. With the season winding down, there is some time to hit this and draw my own conclusions.

I never thought I would replace the awesome, easy to hit Mavrik Max UNTIL I hit the B21. I didn’t lose anything the Max offered and gained more distance.
Oh wait, I did lose something. That weak right push/fade. She gone.

I never thought I would replace the awesome, easy to hit Mavrik Max UNTIL I hit the B21. I didn’t lose anything the Max offered and gained more distance.
Oh wait, I did lose something. That weak right push/fade. She gone.
Wow, you have been spending a lot of money on drivers, but I hear a lot of people raving about the BBB 21:)

Wow, you have been spending a lot of money on drivers, but I hear a lot of people raving about the BBB 21:)
It’s an illness. An addiction. A love for the game. I have a great wife.

The first round of the SMGA championships is in the books. And my first round with the B 21 with the Speeder 565 shaft has proven to be a success. I struggled a bit on the front nine in general, my 54 degree Cleveland wedge and my putter kept the front from becoming a total fuster cluck. I used the B 21 on 5 of 9 fairways and all were in play but none were what I was hoping for. I yanked it on #8 and played out of the first cut of rough. I just wasn't swinging the club well and played several strokes over my HC.

The Back nine was a totally different story. Big Berta B 21 came to life. I hit my tee shot exactly where I was aiming with the faintest of fade and about 10-15 yards farther than I normally hit on this hole. (Probably because it was straight) I played my driver on 7 of 9 holes with very positive results with the exception of 16, I pushed it right and had to contend with a giant pine blocking the green so I played left and short and got up and down for par. On 17, a long par 4 I set up perfectly and really jumped the B 21 and to my surprise was rewarded with a very long and low mini draw that was again about 10 - 15 yards longer than my norm on this hole. 18 being a dogleg right I set up to hit a fade and jumped it again and got just what I wanted a beautiful sweeping fade that started down the center and faded perfectly with the curve of the hole leaving me a great approach angle. I finished the back nine way better than the front.

We use Golf Genius for scoring all of our league play and tournaments but I make it a rule to never check the leader board during a round. You can imagine my surprise when we turned our card in at the clubhouse and I finally checked the leader board and saw I was leading my flight with a net +2 74. Another tale of 2 nines but this time with a better outcome than I had the first.
We'll see if I can hold it together for another day and another update tomorrow.

JB and Jman can give you the dope on the technical end of it but from the perspective of one old man looking to enjoy the game a little more, this club has had a very positive impact on my overall game. If I start a hole with a poor tee shot the chances of it blowing up increase exponentially. I have hit this club far better than any of the 4 others I've played in the last three years. Perhaps it's because I view it as a gift with an obligation attached to do my best to extract as much positive results as I can and couple that with the technology and everything is just coming together. Thanks again THP Team and Callaway for the opportunity.

The first round of the SMGA championships is in the books. And my first round with the B 21 with the Speeder 565 shaft has proven to be a success. I struggled a bit on the front nine in general, my 54 degree Cleveland wedge and my putter kept the front from becoming a total fuster cluck. I used the B 21 on 5 of 9 fairways and all were in play but none were what I was hoping for. I yanked it on #8 and played out of the first cut of rough. I just wasn't swinging the club well and played several strokes over my HC.

The Back nine was a totally different story. Big Berta B 21 came to life. I hit my tee shot exactly where I was aiming with the faintest of fade and about 10-15 yards farther than I normally hit on this hole. (Probably because it was straight) I played my driver on 7 of 9 holes with very positive results with the exception of 16, I pushed it right and had to contend with a giant pine blocking the green so I played left and short and got up and down for par. On 17, a long par 4 I set up perfectly and really jumped the B 21 and to my surprise was rewarded with a very long and low mini draw that was again about 10 - 15 yards longer than my norm on this hole. 18 being a dogleg right I set up to hit a fade and jumped it again and got just what I wanted a beautiful sweeping fade that started down the center and faded perfectly with the curve of the hole leaving me a great approach angle. I finished the back nine way better than the front.

We use Golf Genius for scoring all of our league play and tournaments but I make it a rule to never check the leader board during a round. You can imagine my surprise when we turned our card in at the clubhouse and I finally checked the leader board and saw I was leading my flight with a net +2 74. Another tale of 2 nines but this time with a better outcome than I had the first.
We'll see if I can hold it together for another day and another update tomorrow.

JB and Jman can give you the dope on the technical end of it but from the perspective of one old man looking to enjoy the game a little more, this club has had a very positive impact on my overall game. If I start a hole with a poor tee shot the chances of it blowing up increase exponentially. I have hit this club far better than any of the 4 others I've played in the last three years. Perhaps it's because I view it as a gift with an obligation attached to do my best to extract as much positive results as I can and couple that with the technology and everything is just coming together. Thanks again THP Team and Callaway for the opportunity.
You rock brother. Good feedback (y)

My favorite driver of the four I used prior to the B 21 was the Fusion as well. Swinging the B 21 feels very similar with even better result. It’s hard to refute the technology it brings. My miss was also a slice that has been tamed to a very playable mini fade

/\ This guy knows!!!! Great review brother! Keep it going tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My "tale of two nines" is now the "tale of two days". SMGA championship Day #2 started very much like day one, maybe worse. If you look at my avitar, #1 is to the right of the lake. Dead straight tee shot 6" r at the far end of the lake, no way to advance forward. Punch out to the fw, shot 3 pin high on the wrong (R) side of the creek on a downhill lie 1 foot above the creek 5 feet below the putting surface. Made a miracle shot over the creek but also over the green. Chip up & 2 putt for a fab triple bogey 7. great start jack ass.
Another triple bogey on #2, a par 3. This is not looking good. Bogey par 5 #3 even after putting my third shot in the creek. My 54* Cleveland got me out of trouble once again, close enough for a tap in. I can't believe I'm 7 over after 3. So far it's been all me, the B 21 driver has been doing it's job. Well I guess getting up & down from out of the creek woke me up. Next 6 hole 3 pars, three bogeys. I might still be alive. I thought to myself I'm not the only "Old fart" out here today, we are all playing a two day event where every putt has to be holed with no "inside the leather" gimmies. But I am the only one with the B 21. It did exactly what I needed it to do very time on the front nine, even when I hit it to the edge of the lake. I looked down at me feet after seeing the ball flight and I was lined up directly with the right edge of the lake, and instead of hitting a fade I hit the "dreaded straight ball."
The back nine started fine. Bogey, par par Bogey with the B 21 being the highlight of 3 of the 4 holes. The other was a par 3. I'm feeling pretty good again about my round.
Apparently the golf gods see this as a bad thing and proceed to invoke "operation 💩 show" on my good feelings. Two more triples in a row, albeit with great tee shots.
I recover on the next hole with a VG 5 hybrid just short of the green, up & down for par. NOTE TO SELF never ever does one good hole mean your back. I hit a very short but straight tee shot, I got under the ball. Instead of just punching it up to the dog leg, dummy tries to draw a 5 fw wood around the bend. Yes it was ugly and for a minute I thought I could hear the golf gods giggle as I carded my double bogey.
As I tee up my ball on 18, I look directly down at my feet and beseech the golf gods ( knowing where they reside is not a heavenly place) and request a decent finish hole so I can at least retain a little dignity. I still haven't looked at the leader board.
#18 is a dogleg left par 5 and I absolutely crushed the B 21 straight down the middle. I hit a near perfect five hybrid downhill leaving me with a pitching wedge to the center of the elevated green across the creek . I had a little adrenaline working at this point and hit my third straight at the pin, but a tad long, about three feet up the bank above the green that slopes back toward the creek. I I put my faith in the old 54* one more time, just loft it up onto the green and gravity will do the rest...and it did...Birdie!!!

I really have to say it was a fun experience enhanced by using the new Big Bertha B 21 driver. It put me in the fairway on every hole I used it on with three exceptions, and I share the blame on all three.
I went back to the Club House and turned in my card and ordered a beer and started watching the LPGA at the bar. I felt 3 text messages come into my phone. All three were from friends congratulating me for winning my Flight...I still hadn't looked at the leader board. When I did look I had indeed won my flight.....By one stroke :love::love::love:

So not only am I enjoying my game more. I'm playing with a great driver I didn't have to pay for and it helped put $100 in my pocket. Isn't life grand some days.
And I would be remiss if I didn't mention it wouldn't have happened without "THP'.

Well I was able to sneak out for 9 holes this afternoon and got to use this for the first time. My thoughts are a little scrambled so bear with me. First, this is not a swing fixer. I definitely did not have my "A" swing today, I hope it was me adjusting to using a new driver. I have the 10.5* (set to -1 / N) with the RCH55 in stiff flex, there was heavy wind today and they had just rolled several fairways which was unfortunate.

Drive by drive breakdown:
First drive with it was a fade that found the fairway but only got out to 255 with a pretty high flight. Second drive very similar, high flighted fade out to 255. Third drive I forget to peg distance, but it was a mid-flight pull that missed fairway left by ~15 yards (landed in adjacent fairway) and would guess in the 260-270 range. Drive on #5 I'm willing to toss out as it was a balloon ball into a strong headwind, but only 225. On #6 I hit low-mid flight with a baby fade that settled at 282. Then the good one, a beautiful low-mid flight draw with a Grint tracking measurement of 307.

Positive thoughts:
This lives up to the anti-right billing. That's not to say you can't hit a fade, but I had several shots today that started leaking right and I was pleasantly surprised to see that's all it did was leak. A couple of them I fully expected to lose way right, and they remained on that lazy drift to the right and in play.

Not as positive thoughts:
I'm going to preface these with first time swinging this club and probably should have hit the range first. The first thing I noticed was it took me several holes to settle in and maybe I was being too cautious, but I really felt like I had to get after this club to get good results. Maybe that's a good thing and a result of trying to tempo down my swing in the past to keep the ball in play. As I type this out I'm starting to think it may have been not putting enough oomph into the swings as the drives got better flighting and distance as I got further in. The other thing I don't love (yet) is just the weighting of this. It just feels so light, much different than my M4, and I'm not sure I loved it. I think I might buy an aftermarket weight set and put a heavier weight in the head.

All in all, the further I got into this post the more I'm pleased with my first experience with this. Will definitely need to get to the range and do some comparisons with the M4 just to see if the weight thing and swing effort piece hold true.

Last edited:
My "tale of two nines" is now the "tale of two days". SMGA championship Day #2 started very much like day one, maybe worse. If you look at my avitar, #1 is to the right of the lake. Dead straight tee shot 6" r at the far end of the lake, no way to advance forward. Punch out to the fw, shot 3 pin high on the wrong (R) side of the creek on a downhill lie 1 foot above the creek 5 feet below the putting surface. Made a miracle shot over the creek but also over the green. Chip up & 2 putt for a fab triple bogey 7. great start jack ass.
Another triple bogey on #2, a par 3. This is not looking good. Bogey par 5 #3 even after putting my third shot in the creek. My 54* Cleveland got me out of trouble once again, close enough for a tap in. I can't believe I'm 7 over after 3. So far it's been all me, the B 21 driver has been doing it's job. Well I guess getting up & down from out of the creek woke me up. Next 6 hole 3 pars, three bogeys. I might still be alive. I thought to myself I'm not the only "Old fart" out here today, we are all playing a two day event where every putt has to be holed with no "inside the leather" gimmies. But I am the only one with the B 21. It did exactly what I needed it to do very time on the front nine, even when I hit it to the edge of the lake. I looked down at me feet after seeing the ball flight and I was lined up directly with the right edge of the lake, and instead of hitting a fade I hit the "dreaded straight ball."
The back nine started fine. Bogey, par par Bogey with the B 21 being the highlight of 3 of the 4 holes. The other was a par 3. I'm feeling pretty good again about my round.
Apparently the golf gods see this as a bad thing and proceed to invoke "operation 💩 show" on my good feelings. Two more triples in a row, albeit with great tee shots.
I recover on the next hole with a VG 5 hybrid just short of the green, up & down for par. NOTE TO SELF never ever does one good hole mean your back. I hit a very short but straight tee shot, I got under the ball. Instead of just punching it up to the dog leg, dummy tries to draw a 5 fw wood around the bend. Yes it was ugly and for a minute I thought I could hear the golf gods giggle as I carded my double bogey.
As I tee up my ball on 18, I look directly down at my feet and beseech the golf gods ( knowing where they reside is not a heavenly place) and request a decent finish hole so I can at least retain a little dignity. I still haven't looked at the leader board.
#18 is a dogleg left par 5 and I absolutely crushed the B 21 straight down the middle. I hit a near perfect five hybrid downhill leaving me with a pitching wedge to the center of the elevated green across the creek . I had a little adrenaline working at this point and hit my third straight at the pin, but a tad long, about three feet up the bank above the green that slopes back toward the creek. I I put my faith in the old 54* one more time, just loft it up onto the green and gravity will do the rest...and it did...Birdie!!!

I really have to say it was a fun experience enhanced by using the new Big Bertha B 21 driver. It put me in the fairway on every hole I used it on with three exceptions, and I share the blame on all three.
I went back to the Club House and turned in my card and ordered a beer and started watching the LPGA at the bar. I felt 3 text messages come into my phone. All three were from friends congratulating me for winning my Flight...I still hadn't looked at the leader board. When I did look I had indeed won my flight.....By one stroke :love::love::love:

So not only am I enjoying my game more. I'm playing with a great driver I didn't have to pay for and it helped put $100 in my pocket. Isn't life grand some days.
And I would be remiss if I didn't mention it wouldn't have happened without "THP'.
Heck yeah brother!!! That is a great story.

Well I was able to sneak out for 9 holes this afternoon and got to use this for the first time. My thoughts are a little scrambled so bear with me. First, this is not a swing fixer. I definitely did not have my "A" swing today, I hope it was me adjusting to using a new driver. I have the 10.5* (set to -1 / N) with the RCH55 in stiff flex, there was heavy wind today and they had just rolled several fairways which was unfortunate.

Drive by drive breakdown:
First drive with it was a fade that found the fairway but only got out to 255 with a pretty high flight. Second drive very similar, high flighted fade out to 255. Third drive I forget to peg distance, but it was a mid-flight pull that missed fairway left by ~15 yards (landed in adjacent fairway) and would guess in the 260-270 range. Drive on #5 I'm willing to toss out as it was a balloon ball into a strong headwind, but only 225. On #6 I hit low-mid flight with a baby fade that settled at 282. Then the good one, a beautiful low-mid flight draw with a Grint tracking measurement of 307.

Positive thoughts:
This lives up to the anti-right billing. That's not to say you can't hit a fade, but I had several shots today that started leaking right and I was pleasantly surprised to see that's all it did was leak. A couple of them I fully expected to lose way right, and they remained on that lazy drift to the right and in play.

Not as positive thoughts:
I'm going to preface these with first time swinging this club and probably should have hit the range first. The first thing I noticed was it took me several holes to settle in and maybe I was being too cautious, but I really felt like I had to get after this club to get good results. Maybe that's a good thing and a result of trying to tempo down my swing in the past to keep the ball in play. As I type this out I'm starting to think it may have been not putting enough oomph into the swings as the drives got better flighting and distance as I got further in. The other thing I don't love (yet) is just the weighting of this. It just feels so light, much different than my M4, and I'm not sure I loved it. I think I might buy an aftermarket weight set and put a heavier weight in the head.

All in all, the further I got into this post the more I'm pleased with my first experience with this. Will definitely need to get to the range and do some comparisons with the M4 just to see if the weight thing and swing effort piece hold true.
i had a similar response earlier as far as having to get after the club to get good results, i felt as if the more gas i gave it the better, getting on it has gave me some really good results with distance obviously and ball flight more so.

Back