Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

I've seen a fair bit of reviews on this. Seems pretty low spin for some and fairly high for others. I would like to see more head to head comparisons with the same shaft.
Same shaft in the B21 and Mavrik Max, same loft, I saw 500 RPM lower in the B21.

I believe that has to do with the forward cg location. For some folks that will lead to a steeper angle of attack.
Eh, debateable. Its not moving that much weight, we are talking grams.

Eh, debateable. Its not moving that much weight, we are talking grams.
An impact, but not big enough to be concerned about right. 5 or 6 grams on a 200ish gram head. The swing weight change from not changing would be a bigger impact to most people I would assume do you agree with that?

Also. Another good day today. Only got out of position on 2 holes today with this driver. My home course is tight so that's no big deal. Pretty close to my max distance on every drive too.

I'm telling you guys, point and shoot, lower spin, made for slicers... its all accurate. Never before has my driver been the most confidence inspiring club in my bag. Ever. I'm still not hitting as far as I used to, but I'm hitting this farther than what I had been recently. I'm getting to areas of the course I used to be able to get to. Reaching corners on dog legs for example. If I get lazy, I can still fan one to the right, but now I'd say my most common miss is a pull, but rarely ever egregiously and out of play. I don't have any launch monitor numbers, but I'm hitting it visibly higher than before and using shorter clubs for approaches. I'm a club ho and will play this until it breaks, or someone ousts it with a real fitting and measurable improvements distance and accuracy.

I'm telling you guys, point and shoot, lower spin, made for slicers... its all accurate. Never before has my driver been the most confidence inspiring club in my bag. Ever. I'm still not hitting as far as I used to, but I'm hitting this farther than what I had been recently. I'm getting to areas of the course I used to be able to get to. Reaching corners on dog legs for example. If I get lazy, I can still fan one to the right, but now I'd say my most common miss is a pull, but rarely ever egregiously and out of play. I don't have any launch monitor numbers, but I'm hitting it visibly higher than before and using shorter clubs for approaches. I'm a club ho and will play this until it breaks, or someone ousts it with a real fitting and measurable improvements distance and accuracy.

That's quite the endorsement for the Driver. You had me with point and shoot. I will likely be putting one in play when my season starts.

Has anyone tried a low spin low launch shaft with this head?

Yep, I use a Project X Evenflow T1100 (White) in mine. For me that was a shaft I was fit into in the TS3 I had earlier. It is a really good combo with the head if you need that type of profile from the shaft. I have the 10.5* head and the entire combo has become a carry monster for me.

Same shaft in the B21 and Mavrik Max, same loft, I saw 500 RPM lower in the B21.
I was also seeing similar drops in spin with B21 compared to Mav Max (same loft and shaft), I believe I dropped from 3100 avg in Max to 2500 avg in B21

I have Ventus black 7x in mine (9 degree B21), last session I was seeing spin rate in mid 2000 range with peak heights in the 90-110 ft range.

The only this I don't need with this driver is draw bias. Lower spin and forgiveness yes. Can anyone compare the b21 to the Mav sub zero?

I can't stop coming back to this thread! If it wasn't for the RadSpeed then I would already be playing this club I'm certain.

I can't stop coming back to this thread! If it wasn't for the RadSpeed then I would already be playing this club I'm certain.

Stay tuned to this thread. There is a strong likelihood (I hold out hope that it may be a Radspeed) that this will be my driver this season.

The only this I don't need with this driver is draw bias. Lower spin and forgiveness yes. Can anyone compare the b21 to the Mav sub zero?

Only way to know is to hit it. In all honesty, for the first couple of weeks with the B21, I was hitting weak fades with it. Draw biased, no. I was a bit baffled, for what was supposed to take the left side (I am a lefty) out of the equation.

It wasn't until I went with a little heavier and a little stiffer shaft than I normally played, that it got uncorked. It does have certain properties that affect the ball-flight, so, for example, it does reign in fades and seems to cut down on side-spin. I think the Mavrik I played was probably more draw-biased. YMMV entirely as to how the B21 would work for you, but I wouldn't shy away from it due to draw bias. It is a very unique driver.

But if you are looking for forgiveness and low spin with less chance for draw bias, the Epic Max LS fits that bill, IMHO.

Stay tuned to this thread. There is a strong likelihood (I hold out hope that it may be a Radspeed) that this will be my driver this season.
John, I really look forward to hearing your thoughts on this. From what you've said I think it could be right up your street.

Having said that, I truly hope that you'll be wielding a RadSpeed....

So I found out today that you can still slice this thing. It was an awful day with the big stick hitting only 3 fairways with it, and lost 4 OOB right. I think it might be a bit shorter than my M4D, but today wasn’t the best day to find that out. I did have some VERY manageable shots that should have been lost right, but were still in play. It just wasn’t a good driver day today. Again, nothing to do with the club. We’ll see how it goes tomorrow.

I think I broke one of my freshmen boys minds with this yesterday.

He’s a big kid, and naturally swings in the 110+ range with no one pushing him...yet (this summer will be big for him). He was playing an M6 which I absolutely DESPISE as a fit for him and his miss which is, you guessed it, open face and slightly across. The TM is just not very forgiving, at all, which I know from having played it a season.

Anyway, I gave him the B21 yesterday and explained the design to him, that it will minimize, but not eliminate, that miss. I also took him from an R flex to a country strong flex. It sort of broke his mind on the first swing he swiped hard and it just didn’t peel like he’s used to.

He’s convinced it’s slower, I know it’s not, and I’m going to put him on monitor on Monday to prove it. We shall see what driver he brings to the tournament today....

He’s a big kid, and naturally swings in the 110+ range with no one pushing him...yet (this summer will be big for him). He was playing an M6 which I absolutely DESPISE as a fit for him and his miss which is, you guessed it, open face and slightly across. The TM is just not very forgiving, at all, which I know from having played it a season.

Anyway, I gave him the B21 yesterday and explained the design to him, that it will minimize, but not eliminate, that miss. I also took him from an R flex to a country strong flex. It sort of broke his mind on the first swing he swiped hard and it just didn’t peel like he’s used to.

He’s convinced it’s slower, I know it’s not, and I’m going to put him on monitor on Monday to prove it. We shall see what driver he brings to the tournament today....
That's awesome.

I'm tempted to get a sub zero but it sounds like there's more forgiveness in the b21.

This driver is legit and so much fun.
I'm tempted to get a sub zero but it sounds like there's more forgiveness in the b21.

Much more forgiveness in the B21. I went from the standard Mavrik to this and noticed a difference.

It depends on the miss. The sub zero is going to have some onset and fade bias.

So I found out today that you can still slice this thing. It was an awful day with the big stick hitting only 3 fairways with it, and lost 4 OOB right. I think it might be a bit shorter than my M4D, but today wasn’t the best day to find that out. I did have some VERY manageable shots that should have been lost right, but were still in play. It just wasn’t a good driver day today. Again, nothing to do with the club. We’ll see how it goes tomorrow.
This is what I found as well. I can still get a ball flight that moves right but there have been swings where I immediately thought oh 💩 that's a goner only to have it settle in the rough rather than the expected woods.

4/4 fairways with the B21 today. I’m playing with a lot of confidence with this driver.

Back