Callaway Rogue ST MAX Hybrids and Irons

The specs you put up there are for standard Apex.
Haha damn it you are right. My bad. But do you know why there is so much offset on apex pro? I just want to understand the science behind it. Especially considering there is less offset on mav pro.

Haha damn it you are right. My bad. But do you know why there is so much offset on apex pro? I just want to understand the science behind it. Especially considering there is less offset on mav pro.
They don’t have more than the Mav Pro though, except in two irons and it’s 0.05 and 0.04 difference, which the human eye won’t really notice.

BB06C038-6C46-44A7-B171-022E52F0F735.pngDA955757-6322-42D5-8426-E4FFFC8C2CBA.png

The new Callaway Rogue ST Max irons (and woods) are a full-fledged disaster for me.

Despite the irons being at minimum one club stronger lofted than I'd prefer,
a situation that I think I can work around,
they look, both in photos and description, absolutely confidence inspiring to me.
Callaway may have, regardless of their steep price point, an absolute home run here.

That's the problem. I do a full retooling on an 8-12 year basis.
2021 was my year for that.
My present set is virtually brand new.
Spending roughly four grand on new golf clubs again this year could bring an abrupt halt to my domestic tranquility if I get caught.
And I surely would.

I even found a way around my previously imagined problem--getting down to fourteen clubs with the stronger lofts.
Change the 56 / 60 wedge setup to a 58. I've really liked 58s in the past.

Titleist conspired against me when they dropped the L-Grind 58 from the SM8 lineup.
Based on the comments I've read here, it's unlikely that they'll reinstate it with the SM9s.

But I can get my hands on an SM6 or SM7 and have The Iron Factory completely rebuild it for me.
That would be considerably more expensive than a brand new wedge, but very doable.
It would also give me the benefit of cover-shredding, non-conforming box grooves,
an aberation not nearly as noticeable as fifteen clubs....and more useful.

I'm sure that the good people at Callaway didn't do it to me on purpose.
It just feels that way.:unsure:

The new Callaway Rogue ST Max irons (and woods) are a full-fledged disaster for me.

They are a full fledged disaster without hitting them first? weird.
You are going to find trouble with just about every brand in the club segment you are looking for if stated loft is the only criteria.

I can assure you there is a very noticeable difference.

they look, both in photos and description, absolutely confidence inspiring to me.
Callaway may have, regardless of their steep price point, an absolute home run here.

Spending roughly four grand on new golf clubs again this year could bring an abrupt halt to my domestic tranquility if I get caught.
And I surely would.

I even found a way around my previously imagined problem--getting down to fourteen clubs with the stronger lofts.

Titleist conspired against me when they dropped the L-Grind 58 from the SM8 lineup.
Based on the comments I've read here, it's unlikely that they'll reinstate it with the SM9s.

But I can get my hands on an SM6 or SM7 and have The Iron Factory completely rebuild it for me.
That would be considerably more expensive than a brand new wedge, but very doable.
It would also give me the benefit of cover-shredding, non-conforming box grooves,

stated loft doesn’t matter. Old cliche’s work here
1) don’t knock it till you try it
2) proof is in the pudding

They are a full fledged disaster without hitting them first? weird.
You are going to find trouble with just about every brand in the club segment you are looking for if stated loft is the only criteria.

Obviously, I'm projecting. They look really good.
Unlike THP staffers (and apparently many THP subdcribers),
I don't have the opportunity to try everything before I buy.

This is the sticking point in most of our conversations. You and Jman can't relate to that, perhaps.
Some of us are totally dependent on pictures and published specs.
Our pro shops aren't what they were forty or fifty years ago.
We order clubs online now.

As for the lofts problem, I can work around that.
My preference for 1950s loft/club number correlations is nothing but that. A simple mindset.
Of course I know that they're not coming back.
I've heard about launch window technology, mostly from you.

This time my problem has nothing to do with lofts.
It has to do with having almost brand new clubs right now.

THP is merely an opportunity to share what's on my mind.
I'm not looking to annoy you. I enjoy your comments and learn from them.
Please ignore my posts if they upset you. I promise that's not my intention.
Perhaps I'm misreading the tone of your responses.

I have enjoyed reading and hearing about the new Rogue irons, especially the MaxOS which I feel would be right for my game. However, until the release of information about the new Rogue irons, I was considering the Big Bertha irons. And I was told by someone with knowledge of Callaway equipment and knowledge of my game that the Big Berthas would be appropriate for me.

I am seriously pondering new irons this season and have been reading this thread and have looked at Callaway’s website. I don’t find anything about the Big Bertha irons on the website.

Does anyone know anything about the status of the Big Bertha irons? They’re not shown on the website. I know that retailers may have them but I would need some customization as far as length and lie.

And I surely would.

Obviously, I'm projecting. They look really good.
Unlike THP staffers (and apparently many THP subdcribers),
I don't have the opportunity to try everything before I buy.

This is the sticking point in most of our conversations. You and Jman can't relate to that, perhaps.
Some of us are totally dependent on pictures and published specs.
Our pro shops aren't what they were forty or fifty years ago.
We order clubs online now.

As for the lofts problem, I can work around that.
My preference for 1950s loft/club number correlations is nothing but that. A simple mindset.
Of course I know that they're not coming back.
I've heard about launch window technology, mostly from you.

This time my problem has nothing to do with lofts.
It has to do with having almost brand new clubs right now.

THP is merely an opportunity to share what's on my mind.
I'm not looking to annoy you. I enjoy your comments and learn from them.
Please ignore my posts if they upset you. I promise that's not my intention.
Perhaps I'm misreading the tone of your responses.
Bit my tongue a bit as everyone has an opinion and is free to express them but throwing a product under the bus without trying it then claiming there isn’t a way for you to test them like others on the forum comes off as disingenuous on your part to me. If you don’t want to test them but trash a product state that up front but to claim you can’t is understating the situation when there is ample opportunity. Attached was a quick 1 minute search on Callaway’s site to find locations where you can test the irons and entire lineup once they are fully released.
5C5F3343-776B-4AF8-8AEB-FCC70E35EB2F.png

These are very interesting, not my thing but I think my daughter will end up in a set for her golf season. She loves callaway and these seem like they would benefit her tremendously

Bit my tongue a bit as everyone has an opinion and is free to express them but throwing a product under the bus without trying it then claiming there isn’t a way for you to test them like others on the forum comes off as disingenuous on your part to me. If you don’t want to test them but trash a product state that up front but to claim you can’t is understating the situation when there is ample opportunity. Attached was a quick 1 minute search on Callaway’s site to find locations where you can test the irons and entire lineup once they are fully released.
View attachment 9058471
There’s definitely a difference imo of not being able to go test things, and not being willing to. Sure, it may mean stepping outside of a pro shop comfort zone, but times change, and as we all know there are some REALLY amazing fitters and locations to try things out there. Trying golf equipment has never been more accessible than it is right now.

View attachment 9058471

I didn't trash them even a little bit.
I praised them, said they looked very confidence inspiring, and regreted having just purchased clubs prior to their release.
I can't even imagine what you saw that suggests I was throwing them under the bus.

I said that I would have preferred weaker lofts, but I understand that modern clubs are built differently.
Is that throwing them under the bus? I say that about ALL modern clubs.

I've even figured out how to configure a set of them working around the modern strong lofts:

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS___13.5° 2-wood
Callaway Rogue ST Max___18° 5-wood, 21° 7-wood
Callaway Rogue ST Max___4-9, 41, 46, 51
The Iron Factory___58° (totally rebuilt and modified Vokey SM6 L Grind)
Tad Moore Chicopee___putter
Titleist Pro V1x___ball

The standard 4-iron is strong lofted enough and looks forgiving enough to use as a driving iron.
That explains the loft overlap with the fairway woods.

I buy clubs online. That's what I've done for a few sets now.
If my pro shop still sold golf clubs in volume, I'd buy them there---but they don't anymore.
I choose to NOT buy them in an off course store, fitted by someone not a Class A PGA pro.
---just my personal preference. Nothing I'm starting an argument about, however.

Just understand that
I did NOT come anywhere close to trashing the clubs.
On the contrary, I'm guessing that I'd like them very much.
Perhaps I expressed myself unclearly.

And thanks for the attachment.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed reading and hearing about the new Rogue irons, especially the MaxOS which I feel would be right for my game. However, until the release of information about the new Rogue irons, I was considering the Big Bertha irons. And I was told by someone with knowledge of Callaway equipment and knowledge of my game that the Big Berthas would be appropriate for me.

I am seriously pondering new irons this season and have been reading this thread and have looked at Callaway’s website. I don’t find anything about the Big Bertha irons on the website.

Does anyone know anything about the status of the Big Bertha irons? They’re not shown on the website. I know that retailers may have them but I would need some customization as far as length and lie.
I believe they discontinued them. I could be wrong but they definitely discontinued the woods.

I didn't get a chance to hit them in California but our course should be getting the Rogue Pro heads in in the next couple weeks. Very interested to put some swings on them! More excited to get some more teammate reactions to them when they get them in hand!

I really need more content around the Rogue Pro irons. I cannot wait to hit them again. Not sure I’ve ever been more excited about an iron, and I looooooved the Apex21

Hello - Does anyone have a list or know which graphite iron custom shafts are available? Thank you

Hello - Does anyone have a list or know which graphite iron custom shafts are available? Thank you

is there a specific one you are looking for?
Should have the usuals: steelfiber, MMT, px catalyst, recoils/dart, Tensei blue/white, KBs tgi

Saw the TXG video on the irons and after I poured some out for Matty I was impressed with the Pro. It will be on the try list.

Saw the TXG video on the irons and after I poured some out for Matty I was impressed with the Pro. It will be on the try list.

They look really good in hand like they were discussing and we’ve said they look amazing when looking down at the ball. They’re still no slouch in the distance category either and weren’t as demanding as they look when you hit them.

They look really good in hand like they were discussing and we’ve said they look amazing when looking down at the ball. They’re still no slouch in the distance category either and weren’t as demanding as they look when you hit them.
I do have a roaming eye when it comes to irons so I will be testing some here soon.

I'm seriously considering building a Max 4i as a Hybrid/Driving Iron option.
Being a past user of the Rogue X, I could see a fit here with either my Epic Forged or Apex 21 Combo Set.

I do have a roaming eye when it comes to irons so I will be testing some here soon.
I will have the demo 7 Pro iron in my bag tomorrow.

I hit the ST Pro today with the Tensei Blue shaft. Wow, what a nice iron.

They look really good, especially down by the ball and felt almost as good as my Apex 21s.

I really liked that Tensei Blue shaft as well. Nice stock option.

I could game a set of these but I like being married. ;)

80FAE5C4-B6B1-45C6-9B64-0C72A419A050.jpeg

I hit the ST Pro today with the Tensei Blue shaft. Wow, what a nice iron.

They look really good, especially down by the ball and felt almost as good as my Apex 21s.

I really liked that Tensei Blue shaft as well. Nice stock option.

I could game a set of these but I like being married. ;)

View attachment 9059726

Buy your spouse a matching set and problem solved? 🤣

Back