Callaway Staff Irons - The Morgan Cup

I'm not so sure that I have either. Example of freaky distance:

Played Thursday with my brother. Short par 4. 190 yards to the end of the fairway. 220 to carry the creek. There's no real advantage in carrying the creek b/c the hole doglegs right. One-T hits 7 iron.....perfect. I hit 7 iron, fly it into the creek.....WTF! I wasnt' happy, but I was ok, b/c I hit it pure. Right where I wanted to. Just creamed it.

Same thing here dude. Par 3 180 to the flag with a little wind behind pull 5i since that's my 180 club (if it catches a bit of wind I didn't mind missing a touch long). Toed the crap out of it (proof is the mark left on the face and where the tee scraped off the sole of the club). Sailed the flag off the green into second cut. If I caught that thing anywhere close to center I would have sailed the green easily, probably into the next tee box. Uber forgiveness... in a "players iron".

Same thing here dude. Par 3 180 to the flag with a little wind behind pull 5i since that's my 180 club (if it catches a bit of wind I didn't mind missing a touch long). Toed the crap out of it (proof is the mark left on the face and where the tee scraped off the sole of the club). Sailed the flag off the green into second cut. If I caught that thing anywhere close to center I would have sailed the green easily, probably into the next tee box. Uber forgiveness... in a "players iron".

Spank, did you try the 'non-tour' Razr X's before going with the Tours? If so, what made you go with the tours?

I'm heading out shopping which will include Golf Galaxy, Golfsmith and Dicks....we shall see if I can find a set in lefty...

Spank, did you try the 'non-tour' Razr X's before going with the Tours? If so, what made you go with the tours?

I'm heading out shopping which will include Golf Galaxy, Golfsmith and Dicks....we shall see if I can find a set in lefty...

Tried both of them at the outing. I went RXT's because 1) the stock shaft for the Razr X's just doesn't vibe with me (I always get fit for shafts that are more stout) and that's the only thing they had at the outing (that and graphite) 2) I like to fidget with the ball and I could do that much easier with the smaller head 3) to me they just look that much better at address (I'm more used to the thinner top line on my irons)

So part performance, part aesthetics.

Tried both of them at the outing. I went RXT's because 1) the stock shaft for the Razr X's just doesn't vibe with me (I always get fit for shafts that are more stout) and that's the only thing they had at the outing (that and graphite) 2) I like to fidget with the ball and I could do that much easier with the smaller head 3) to me they just look that much better at address (I'm more used to the thinner top line on my irons)

So part performance, part aesthetics.

Gotcha. Thanks for sharing.

I wish everyone would just try them. They sound/feel different from any Callaway iron I've ever tried.
I'm very weird...just ask my wife...I'm a Team Paradise supporter, yet, I have an Odyssey putter, Callaway X-Series JAWS wedges, and am ordering the Callaway RAZR X MBs on Monday. Go Team Paradise! By they way...can you get me a Callaway hat TC? heehee

I'm very weird...just ask my wife...I'm a Team Paradise supporter, yet, I have an Odyssey putter, Callaway X-Series JAWS wedges, and am ordering the Callaway RAZR X MBs on Monday. Go Team Paradise! By they way...can you get me a Callaway hat TC? heehee

You do realize Callaway has staffers on both teams right?

Thanks, TC. I know you also said you were at or beyond your TM 2.0 distances....that says a lot. May have to find a set of these at a big box store to try out.

Do yourself a favor and try them before you buy anything, they are simply amazing.

A quick video about my Callaway Razr X Forged Irons:

Simply put, these irons are amazing! They offer the perfect blend of performance, forgiveness and workability for me.

I can't say thank you enough to Callaway Golf, THP, JB, GG and everyone else involved in this once-in-a-lifetime event.

Great Video AHA, not only are those irons beautiful but they are performers too. Great production value on that video too, well done.

Thanks buddy...I'm loving these things!

Great Video AHA, not only are those irons beautiful but they are performers too. Great production value on that video too, well done.

Nice AHA. Those are pretty looking. Simple and bada$$ all in one package.

Nice AHA. Those are pretty looking. Simple and bada$$ all in one package.

Thanks Spank. This is a pretty good description of these irons.

Thanks Spank. This is a pretty good description of these irons.

It's what drew me to those in the first place. Unfortunately, I just don't have the chops to play them. You on the other hand...

It's what drew me to those in the first place. Unfortunately, I just don't have the chops to play them. You on the other hand...

Haha...we'll see about that, but thank you. They are stunning in person, much nicer than forged offerings out there from other companies in my opinion.

Haha...we'll see about that, but thank you. They are stunning in person, much nicer than forged offerings out there from other companies in my opinion.

Stop being so effing humble AHA. You know you got some game.

Stunning is right. There's something sexy about simplicity sometimes.

Stunning is right. There's something sexy about simplicity sometimes.

The looks are honestly what drew my in at first, but now that I've had them for a bit, the performance is what will keep them in my bag for the foreseeable future.

Awesome video bro, was so hard to say no to those beauties.

I wish everyone would just try them. They sound/feel different from any Callaway iron I've ever tried.

Just got back from Golfsmith. Was rushed on time and they didn't have a launch monitor set up for lefties so I just hit a few balls into the net. I will say this-I am going back to hit them again w/launch monitor. I also hit the non-tour razr and TM 2.0. TC, you are right-the sound/feel is something else. Although I was hitting into a net with no monitor, I could tell the ball was just flying off the face. one word-nice.

Nice video AHA.

A couple of questions about the distance:

1. Is this a consistnet jump in distance or is it fluky, like when you hit the center of the face it just jumps.

2. Have you now adjusted your yardages up 10 yards or so. So where you were hitting 7 with the old set, you are now hitting 8?

Nice video AHA.

A couple of questions about the distance:

1. Is this a consistnet jump in distance or is it fluky, like when you hit the center of the face it just jumps.

2. Have you now adjusted your yardages up 10 yards or so. So where you were hitting 7 with the old set, you are now hitting 8?

Thanks biggsy.

Regarding distance control, I find them to be very consistent across the face. Obviously, if you hit it way out on the toe there is some drop in distance, but if you hit it near the center of the club face, you get a very consistent flight every time. Part of the reason I went with the Razr X Forged irons is the exact scenario you described. I don't want to catch one extra clean and have it fly 10 yards further than normal.

As for distance versus other irons I've played, I would honestly say that these irons are almost exactly the same. The lofts are very similar to what I'm used to so I haven't had to make many (if any) adjustments in that respect. My previous irons did have DG S300 shafts in them so I am noticing a higher ball flight since I made the move to KBS Tours in the Callaway irons, but it's not ballooning or anything like that. Overall, I'm very pleased and impressed with these irons.

If there was one thing I wasn't completely sold on with these irons it was the consistancy in distance.

After my lesson last night a lot of things came to light.

I have never had a more consistant practice session than I did last night. Even my misses were the same. I hit more well struck shots than I have, ever. They felt like nothing coming off the face. One thing I haven't hit much of with this club is a fade. That was my stock shot with the old clubs. Last night that was my shot. I think a lot of times people can associate fade with loss of distance, with the Razr X it was a powerful fade. Not as in direction but the way it cut through the air. Just when I think I can't possibly see anything new with these, I find a whole new side of them.

I'm going out for a round today and I'm beyond excited to hit irons. I know it'll take a few rounds to get ingrained but at least it's not a swing change haha. Till later!

If there was one thing I wasn't completely sold on with these irons it was the consistancy in distance.

I have never had a more consistant practice session than I did last night. Even my misses were the same. I hit more well struck shots than I have, ever. They felt like nothing coming off the face. One thing I haven't hit much of with this club is a fade. That was my stock shot with the old clubs. Last night that was my shot. I think a lot of times people can associate fade with loss of distance, with the Razr X it was a powerful fade. Not as in direction but the way it cut through the air. Just when I think I can't possibly see anything new with these, I find a whole new side of them.

I'm going out for a round today and I'm beyond excited to hit irons. I know it'll take a few rounds to get ingrained but at least it's not a swing change haha. Till later!

Fred Couples and Jack Nicklaus have made a pretty healthy living hitting a fade.

Great to hear about your lesson Yoccos, can't wait to see that beast of a swing Hawk keeps telling me I should fear.

Great stuff Yoccos!!! It sounds like you're growing into these irons nicely

Lol. It's more a cub compared to what you got going on dude. I'm a little hesitant to change my driver swing though. I know they all should be one in the same but Ill see what type of results I get today with it.

A lot of my lessons prior were centered around getting more shoulder turn but what was actually causing me to cast was my grip. I ended up just increasing what was already too much. I always got it back on plane coming in but I was too weak with my grip I guess.

These clubs are just animals. The ground was extremely tight and these had no issues with that. I don't know if I've ever swung a more complete iron in my life. I'd say the only thing tempting me is the other clubs in the Razr Line.

Fred Couples and Jack Nicklaus have made a pretty healthy living hitting a fade.

Great to hear about your lesson Yoccos, can't wait to see that beast of a swing Hawk keeps telling me I should fear.

Back