Callaway Steelhead XR Irons Review

Will do. Right now the weather looks favorable for Sunday. Excited to try these!!!
Nice! Be sure to let us know how it goes if you make it out. They look great in the bag.

I'm new to THP. Just got fitted for some new Callaway Steelhead XR 4-SW and should be getting them next week. Was hitting Tailor-made Burners with steel shafts but am switching to graphite with hopes of helping with golfers elbow. Very excited to get them and hope they feel as good on course as in shop!

I'm new to THP. Just got fitted for some new Callaway Steelhead XR 4-SW and should be getting them next week. Was hitting Tailor-made Burners with steel shafts but am switching to graphite with hopes of helping with golfers elbow. Very excited to get them and hope they feel as good on course as in shop!

Congrats and Welcome! I'm sure you will love them. They seem great from everything that I have heard.

Welcome. Looking forward to your feedback.

Welcome and great choice of irons. I just switched from steel to graphite recently and very happy I did. Enjoy the clubs and this Community!

Got these out for the first time today for 9 holes and had the course pretty much to myself.
I took the time to hit 3 approach shots just for the purpose of making sure I had the distances down with each club. ( I was using Golfbuddy for distance to center of green)
I was amazed at the height of the shots, these irons launch very easily. The greens where pretty hard today(read frozen overnight) but the height of the shots was helping me hold the greens with not much roll out.
Just a quick impression from the initial round, more to come after tomorrows round.

Got my new Steelhead XR Irons today and took them straight out for an 18 hole round since weather was good. Almost immediately hit them very well after I got a feel for them on the front nine I shot a 3 over par 38 on the back!!! I love the feel of these irons!-probably best overall irons I've had-hit them high, long, and STRAIGHT! Especially love the feel of the short irons and was all over the pin from 150 yards in. Will keep you posted on any additional thoughts about these new Irons soon.

Thats awesome cove. Gotta love finding something that works.

Congrats Covegolfer. They are a great set of irons. Really looking forward to getting back out with mine next weekend. Will definitely post some more thoughts then.

That's awesome to hear covegolfer!
Please keep us updated with your thoughts going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitting pretty in the bag and not being used because of the snow on the ground!!! :banghead:
Wanting to get back out, the first round with them was a good get to know you round.

Has anyone hit these and the new Big Bertha OS irons? Can they compare the two in terms of distance and forgiveness and feel? Thanks.

I hit these yesterday along with the Big Bertha OS and the XR OS. Of the three, the XR Steelhead was a tad longer. For me, I think the reason they were a little longer that the BB OS, was because I hit a high ball with my irons typically, and the BB OS accentuated that. They definitely do launch the ball high, and that's good if you need help in that area. My carry was a a bit longer with the Steelhead and I think the launch monitor also gave me a little bit more credit for roll out. To be honest, though, there wasn't much difference between the 3 with my swing. I should also mention that the results weren't much different from my current X2 Hot irons, which we used to establish a base line. I actually came away with no clear cut winner and a lot of uncertainty on what to do next. But, keep in mind, these are my results, and yours may differ. I really think swing speed is a big factor in these things.

I should add that my dispersion was very similar across all 3 clubs, and I noticed more difference in sound that I did in feel (forgiveness), although both XR versions felt a little more "solid' that did the BB.

I hit these yesterday along with the Big Bertha OS and the XR OS. Of the three, the XR Steelhead was a tad longer. For me, I think the reason they were a little longer that the BB OS, was because I hit a high ball with my irons typically, and the BB OS accentuated that. They definitely do launch the ball high, and that's good if you need help in that area. My carry was a a bit longer with the Steelhead and I think the launch monitor also gave me a little bit more credit for roll out. To be honest, though, there wasn't much difference between the 3 with my swing. I should also mention that the results weren't much different from my current X2 Hot irons, which we used to establish a base line. I actually came away with no clear cut winner and a lot of uncertainty on what to do next. But, keep in mind, these are my results, and yours may differ. I really think swing speed is a big factor in these things.

I should add that my dispersion was very similar across all 3 clubs, and I noticed more difference in sound that I did in feel (forgiveness), although both XR versions felt a little more "solid' that did the BB.

The X2's are good irons for you Ken, I'm not shocked that they still perform so well. Looking forward to what you end up doing this year!

Looking forward to posting more in this thread soon

I am too if I can get some warm weather to play!!!
Looking forward to posting more in this thread soon

Did some demoing tonight

9i
644023a131576afaf8d10b47db98c207.jpg

6i
4ca7c2bc79e31966125a5d3b551060c8.jpg

And......?

And......?

I'm going to withhold posting my thought until I can get them with my chosen shafts and grips. Tonights were store demo so stock True Temper XP 95 shafts. I'm not a fan of these shafts so I don't want to speak badly of the irons because the shafts didn't fit me. I will say however the irons look great at address. A lot better than I had initially anticipated

I'm going to withhold posting my thought until I can get them with my chosen shafts and grips. Tonights were store demo so stock True Temper XP 95 shafts. I'm not a fan of these shafts so I don't want to speak badly of the irons because the shafts didn't fit me. I will say however the irons look great at address. A lot better than I had initially anticipated

I thought they looked really good at address as well. But like you, the xp95 was definitely not the shafts for me. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts once the new shafts are in.

There are quite a few reviews out there on these now, and I've been checking them out. Across the board, what I've seen is that these are loooong, high and straight. Like bullets. Doesn't surprise me at all. They don't seem to get the popularity of other models around here, but my guess is that they are a really solid offering (maybe the best) in this category. The down side is that they may not have the workability of other irons....but there are plenty of times when I just want to hit it long and straight, so I'm in ponder.

PS. I love the little white alignment marks on the bottom. I have them on my Xhots, and I think they are a great touch. I've only been playing for a year now, so I'll take every assist I can get. :]

PS. I love the little white alignment marks on the bottom. I have them on my Xhots, and I think they are a great touch. I've only been playing for a year now, so I'll take every assist I can get. :]

Like any other iron out there, fitting is huge though. Me being a little higher swing speed player, I was actually shorter with the steelheads (according to the launch monitor... haven't hit them outdoors.) The reason for that was the amount of spin I was getting from the stock xp95 s300 shaft that was in the 7i I tried out. Launch angle and ball speed was about the same (16-17* range and high 120's low 130's ball speed,) but the backspin for me was alot more (normally in the mid to high 5k range with my gamers, but was 6800-7100 range with the steelhead/xp95 combo.) That increase in backspin led to a higher apex height and less carry distance. I'm sure with a shaft more suited to me the numbers would have been more in line with my gamers through. They definitely felt great at impact.

They are fun to hit and launch high, If the weather holds, I may be able to get out this afternoon for a quick 9 and will have some more thoughts.

They are fun to hit and launch high, If the weather holds, I may be able to get out this afternoon for a quick 9 and will have some more thoughts.

I hope you do get that opportunity. Not just so I can hear your review....but because I hope you get to play nine.

Callaway Steelhead XR Irons Review

Like any other iron out there, fitting is huge though. Me being a little higher swing speed player, I was actually shorter with the steelheads (according to the launch monitor... haven't hit them outdoors.) The reason for that was the amount of spin I was getting from the stock xp95 s300 shaft that was in the 7i I tried out. Launch angle and ball speed was about the same (16-17* range and high 120's low 130's ball speed,) but the backspin for me was alot more (normally in the mid to high 5k range with my gamers, but was 6800-7100 range with the steelhead/xp95 combo.) That increase in backspin led to a higher apex height and less carry distance. I'm sure with a shaft more suited to me the numbers would have been more in line with my gamers through. They definitely felt great at impact.

This is what I was experiencing yesterday. I was getting 138-140 carry for the 7i which is no where near my usual carry distance. Shafts were xp 95 stiff

Back