Callaway Super Hybrid vs Mavrik Max Hybrid

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I bought a Super Hybrid thinking that it would deliver more distance than the Mavrik Max that I have been using. However, according to my launch monitor, the Mavrik Max is actually delivering more distance than I can get out of the Super Hybrid. Shafts are a different but both are senior flex. Save yourself some money and pickup the Mavrik Max on the pre-owned site.

I played the Callaway Mavrik Max Hybrids for a season, in 2020, and then picked-up a Super Hybrid to test ... for me, there was no question that the Super Hybrid was longer than the comparable Mavrik Max Hybrid in my bag. Both were stock shafts in regular flex. So I guess it all depends on the golfer ... imho. :)

Mike
MPM1960

I played the Callaway Mavrik Max Hybrids for a season, in 2020, and then picked-up a Super Hybrid to test ... for me, there was no question that the Super Hybrid was longer than the comparable Mavrik Max Hybrid in my bag. Both were stock shafts in regular flex. So I guess it all depends on the golfer ... imho. :)

Mike
MPM1960

I hit my 3h in both the Super Hybrid and Mavrik Max tonight with a launch monitor. The Super Hybrid was maybe 2-3 yards longer. It really depended on the quality of the strike. If both were hit well, then the difference was just a couple yards.

I compared the heads and the Super Hybrid head is just a little larger which might account for the slightly longer distance.

Considering the price differential - I think you can pick up a Mavrik Max on the pre-owned site for $ 125 - the Super Hybrid is not worth the higher price, but as you stated, it may be me not the club.

Too bad they took the Mavrik Max off the market but I think they may have known that the performance difference was not that different.

It's also possible that the stock senior graphite shafts for both these clubs are quite different. The Mavrik Max's stock shaft is the Project X, and the light flex comes in at 55 grams. I didn't see a senior or light flex listed for the Super Hybrid, but the regular flex shaft comes in at 80 grams. Just throwing that out there for discussion ...

I might add that, in 2021, I switched my hybrids out from the Mavrik Max line to the Epic Flash Star line of hybrids. I liked the Mavrik Max clubs, but decided to go lighter throughout my bag for 2021. I'm not planning to make any changes to the bag as I prepare for 2022, but you never know ... :)

Mike
MPM1960

It's also possible that the stock senior graphite shafts for both these clubs are quite different. The Mavrik Max's stock shaft is the Project X, and the light flex comes in at 55 grams. I didn't see a senior or light flex listed for the Super Hybrid, but the regular flex shaft comes in at 80 grams. Just throwing that out there for discussion ...

I might add that, in 2021, I switched my hybrids out from the Mavrik Max line to the Epic Flash Star line of hybrids. I liked the Mavrik Max clubs, but decided to go lighter throughout my bag for 2021. I'm not planning to make any changes to the bag as I prepare for 2022, but you never know ... :)

Mike
MPM1960

The Super Hybrid has this shaft: Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB Graphite

Looks like the weight is 65 grams based on this: https://aerotechgolfshafts.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/SteelFiber-FC-Hybrid-Specs-2.0-scaled.jpg

The Mavrik hybrids have the following shaft: UST Mamiya Recoil ES SMACWRAP 760 Matte Black Graphite which are also 67 or 68 grams.

So actually, it looks like the Epic hybrids might have a lighter shaft, although when swinging and comparing them, the Epic feels just a little heavier.

Back