Callaway Super Hybrid

BRUTAL. Decision time.

- Confirmed that these are not shipping anytime soon. Definitely not getting by Christmas......

I am so glad I grabbed a 17 degree when I had the chance.

I ended up canceling my order with Callaway today. I can't wait months for this club. I have to say, the Customer Service at Callaway is really. really good. Then, I picked up the lone 17 on Ebay today with Graphite Design DI shaft. Not sure if the shaft will be a fit for me, but that can be taken care of if it doesnt do the trick. Arriving by Monday!

What are all the specs on that shaft? I might be willing to swap you for my Tensei Orange stock.

I'm getting a Callaway long game fitting on Wednesday down in Edinburgh. I have a feeling that these might well make the shortlist, and my credit card is already worried.

Those playing the 20 degree and getting 200+ yards out of it, what kinda swing speed do you have?

Those playing the 20 degree and getting 200+ yards out of it, what kinda swing speed do you have?
I was seeing carry 220+ and total 250. My driver swing speed is 105 mph. 20 degree Super Hybrid with stock Tensei Orange 80 gram shaft and standard settings. Bombs for days!!

I'm in desperate search of a hybrid over the winter to put in my bag for next season. From the reviews it sounds like this might be one of the clubs that ends up on my short list. Although I hit my 3 iron well, i'm not always in the fairway and I need to add a club that can chew up yardage for me from the rough. Sounds like this might be the club.

I'm in desperate search of a hybrid over the winter to put in my bag for next season. From the reviews it sounds like this might be one of the clubs that ends up on my short list. Although I hit my 3 iron well, i'm not always in the fairway and I need to add a club that can chew up yardage for me from the rough. Sounds like this might be the club.

You might also put the Epic Flash on your list. It is a monster in its own right.

You might also put the Epic Flash on your list. It is a monster in its own right.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into it.

I am between 110 and 115 at the top end. I was seeing ball speeds with the 20* of about 152 with a carry of 242 with spin about 3800-4000 on well struck shots. My miss was thin and getting about 220 to 230 carry on those with lower spin.

It arrived!! Definitely headed to range today.
e481ffa9f768983f00846700d56a6896.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how’d it go?!

However, it definitely launched lower that my EF 5 wood at the same 17 degrees. Maybe thats the shaft as well?

Its most likely the low spin. It’s a low launcher for sure. I’m going to add some less tape or hot melt to mine to get it up a bit, but’s it’s a monster for sure.

I called Callaway today, it’s the 17 degree heads that are back ordered and the customer service rep confirmed the March date. Apparently the factories are running up the 2020 slate from what I was told.
3-4 months is simply unacceptable.

i’m still not 100% sure who this is for. the size seems to be a turnoff for a more accomplished player. yet the fade bias seems to suit that player, as does the lower launch and lower spin profile. my guess is it’s meant for the better player who wants a very compact fairway wood with a fade bias. then why call it a hybrid at all? granted, it lives in the hybrid spot for.

One of my buddies is a great player. When he's on, he puts on a stripe show. But, he cannot hit a fw. Like, at all. His longest club aside from his driver is an old 2h. So, on position holes, he's really laying back. The 2h isn't long enough to get him on the green on the really long par 5's.

He will be getting an ear full from me regarding this guy. I can see him extending his range a great deal with the 17 head. Should blow his 2h out of the water. Plus the fade bias should be perfect as he's a drawer of the ball. I almost wish I was fit into it so he could try it.

Just walked through the door. I love it. Its as long as my 5 wood. Since I had to resort to buying it from Ebay (backordered for months), I found one that has a graphite design DI85 shaft. The problem is it is 42" - way too long for me. I am going to go to club champion and have my guy test some other shafts for me. I am interested to see if the Oban Revenge I have in my ping G410 hybrids woudl work with this. I love the Oban.

Anyhow, the sound is way quieter than my G410's and just feels so solid. SUPER easy to hit. Once I get the shaft dialed, I have a feeling this is going to replace my 5 wood. However, it definitely launched lower that my EF 5 wood at the same 17 degrees. Maybe thats the shaft as well?

I don’t mean to bug you, @Scrap22, but if you decide you want something other than the DI85 shaft, I would gladly pay you for it (before it is cut down). I had that shaft in a Big Bertha hybrid and it worked beautifully for me. I don’t get along quite as well with the Tensei Orange stock shaft. I would love to have the Graphite Design in my Super Hybrid.

I remember when the TaylorMade FireSole Rescue came out. It was an orange hybrid with a titanium head that was offered, if memory serves, in 18, 21, and 24º models. It was touted at the time as a long iron replacement.

Except for a possible a driving iron, which to me is a shot-specific utility club that's not part of the overall incremental loft progression, I had already replaced the longest irons with lofted fairway woods. For me, then, the new hybrid category was not a potential replacement for long irons but rather a potential replacement for lofted fairway woods.

The benefit over long irons for average recreational players was pretty obvious, but the benefit over 5-, 7-, and even 9-woods was not as easy a case to make, Consequently, the hybrid never became a part of my game, even as it soared in popularity in the years that followed.

If Callaway's claims are true for this new hybrid, it is genuinely offered as a fairway wood replacement. The lofts, 17, 20, and 23º, match exactly the lofts of my old Titleist PT metals. Those are also lofts identical to TaylorMade's very first line of fairway woods in the early 1980s. If these clubs can genuinely be hit fairway wood distance with their slighter shorter, presumable tip-wider shafts, they would definitley be something to consider.

If Callaway's claims are true for this new hybrid, it is genuinely offered as a fairway wood replacement. The lofts, 17, 20, and 23º, match exactly the lofts of my old Titleist PT metals. Those are also lofts identical to TaylorMade's very first line of fairway woods in the early 1980s. If these clubs can genuinely be hit fairway wood distance with their slighter shorter, presumable tip-wider shafts, they would definitley be something to consider.

The fairways have longer shafts so they will produce longer shots than the relatively shorter shafted hybrids. But if a player wants to gain accuracy, replacing fairways with hybrids makes good sense.

The fairways have longer shafts so they will produce longer shots than the relatively shorter shafted hybrids. But if a player wants to gain accuracy, replacing fairways with hybrids makes good sense.

this club is such a different animal. its added distance is more because of the design than the length of the shaft.

Today is the day I’m heading to hopefully hit the new SUPER HYBRID. I say hopefully because I have not called to see if they have it to hit. I’m guessing they do since they are selling them. I kind of have a void in my bag and I’m hoping this will fill it.

Wish I could find the 23* to hit. Fitting center by me only has the 17* and 20*. The 20* seemed plenty long but that included a bunch of roll. Thinking the 23* lofted down 1* might be a monster for me as my longest down club.

Wish I could find the 23* to hit. Fitting center by me only has the 17* and 20*. The 20* seemed plenty long but that included a bunch of roll. Thinking the 23* lofted down 1* might be a monster for me as my longest down club.

yep i did my testing in the 17* in the big box store. couldn’t launch it at all. but in the grandaddy, gerritt pulled them 23* lofted you to 24*. perfect.

So, I found the old KING OS hybrid in a drawer today, isn’t that pretty similar to what’s going on here size wise? A “tweener” if you will?

yep i did my testing in the 17* in the big box store. couldn’t launch it at all. but in the grandaddy, gerritt pulled them 23* lofted you to 24*. perfect.
I’m skimming here like a mofo and don’t care haha, what happened does it fill for you in the bag distance wise?

So, I found the old KING OS hybrid in a drawer today, isn’t that pretty similar to what’s going on here size wise? A “tweener” if you will?

Having owned the King OS 3/4, 4/5 and 5/6 hybrids, they are big but the Super Hybrid takes it to another level. If I had to guess maybe15% or so bigger on cc’s.

For me the Kings were only useful off level lies and off the tee. This club would be no different for me.

Having owned the King OS 3/4, 4/5 and 5/6 hybrids, they are big but the Super Hybrid takes it to another level. If I had to guess maybe15% or so bigger on cc’s.

For me the Kings were only useful off level lies and off the tee. This club would be no different for me.
Thank you for this! It actually makes me more intrigued. Though I disagree about the Os being useful only on level lies and tees, no different than hitting a fw out of the rough or uneven lie.

Just curious... Is this how you feel about a 5 wood, that it is only useful for you from even lies or as a tee option? To me, this club is more versatile than a 5 wood.

I think the key is that this club is not truly an iron replacement for most who will use it. Rather, it is a fw replacement club.

Back