Callaway Super Hybrid

i love that people are still excited about this. a $320 hybrid would seem to be a nonstarter for most. but the results are pretty great, so i’m glad people are seeking them out for testing.

Our store literally has received one since launch and it was in plastic on the retail shelf. Need them to get a demo asap.

I still need to get my hands on one of these to mess around with, I do wonder what loft would best bridge into my OG One though.

I have a 17° on order, will provide a comparison with my Rogue X 3 Hybrid (bent to 17°) when it comes in...

I have a 17° on order, will provide a comparison with my Rogue X 3 Hybrid (bent to 17°) when it comes in...

What shaft do you have in it?

Looks line the SH is out for delivery today..yay

Getting out tomorrow. Hope I’ll get to hit this some in round tomorrow. Will share thoughts again.

Club came and they hit the D2 SW spot on even with the tour velvet midsize grip. Looks great, got a round in the morning to give it a shake down. I guess not going with the super heavy mcc+4 mid is the key to SW success.

1/10 is my expected ship date, and I didn’t even hit it yet (we haven’t received any in)...

This was an impulse buy due to The Grandaddy Team’s feedback & @e1iterate saying his was great off the tee. My home course (even at 6650 yards) has 5 par 4s that you could (maybe should) hit less than driver.

A weapon like this could be a game changer... I can’t wait. One of my golf goals in 2020 is to manage the course better, and a club like this could help that endeavor.

1st round in the books with the SH and it was not a good one with a slightly hungover non swing and just all around piss poor play on my part, but the SH was pretty darn surprising. I set it up at N /-1 to see how it played and even with the Evenflow black 6.5 it launched very high and easy.

I hit it all over the face and still it went straight and quite long, I actually nutted only one shot out of 7 I tried and it was longer than my 7 wood which is an inch longer in overall length and setup 4 deg. stronger in loft. So the SH could easily replace the 7 wood and not lose anything distance wise and I should gain a bit more control.

Off the deck or off the tee I could not make it go left, it just wants to go straight or a slight fade.

Going to try and play again soon and see if the good things get better, the 1st thought I had after the round was to go ahead and order a 17 to replace the 3 wood and go Driver and 2 SH's.

Off the deck or off the tee I could not make it go left, it just wants to go straight or a slight fade.

this is the thing i hope people continue to take away from this release. the fade bias with tons of forgiveness and speed is not something i can remember seeing in a club like this before.

1st round in the books with the SH and it was not a good one with a slightly hungover non swing and just all around piss poor play on my part, but the SH was pretty darn surprising. I set it up at N /-1 to see how it played and even with the Evenflow black 6.5 it launched very high and easy.

I hit it all over the face and still it went straight and quite long, I actually nutted only one shot out of 7 I tried and it was longer than my 7 wood which is an inch longer in overall length and setup 4 deg. stronger in loft. So the SH could easily replace the 7 wood and not lose anything distance wise and I should gain a bit more control.

Going to try and play again soon and see if the good things get better, the 1st thought I had after the round was to go ahead and order a 17 to replace the 3 wood and go Driver and 2 SH's.

What is the loft of the SH you played ?

23 set at 22

Took the 17* out today. Only used twice off the tee. Solid distance and fairway both times it was used.

Really like the muted sound it gives.

I used this club a few times during a simulated round of golf. It felt like I hit a couple of missiles with it, but it was very difficult to determine, because I was playing a links-style course and was getting some interesting roll out. However, I have now set this to standard loft (17 degrees) and draw setting. I was seeing ball speeds of around 137, which would be equivalent to any 5 wood I have ever tried. Thus, what this hybrid seems to be for me is a club that is more versatile than a 5 wood, but gives me the distance of a 5 wood and is not prone to hook. That is a winner for me.

Also, for those considering this club, I do not think it could replace my 3 wood. It does not generate that type of ball speed for me. I know some other feedback suggests that it would for others, so, as the overused saying goes, try it before you commit to buying it, if at all possible.

Mine ships on the 10th... Super excited based on the feedback so far in the thread...

I put this through its paces on TrackMan this evening. I was extremely impressed with the ball speed retention, even on slight misses. I continually saw 137 ball speed, regardless of whether the strike was pure, on the toe, or a little heel-side.

Still can't get an answer from Callaway about the delivery on a 17 deg. going out in a couple of hours to a course I know well and the 23 deg can be used on 4-5 holes where I would have used my 7 wood or 4 iron.
Since I rarely am close enough to go for Par 5's in two as a 3 wood replacement the 17 deg would be more of a layup club which if it is as forgiving and easy to hit as the 23 should make the game easier.

I stopped into Golf and Ski Warehouse and behold, the elusive backordered 17* was in the rack with a Tensei Orange stiff. Warmed up with a Titleist U500 20*, and then hit 6-8 balls with the Super Hybrid.

Sweet. Honey. Barbeque. The 17* is a missile launcher!

I hit all shots off the deck and my carry distance and ease of launch was so impressive, easily approaching if not equaling 3w distance. I might have touched 150mph ball speed :devilish: which is pretty stout for me off the deck. As reference, I grabbed a Srixon F85 15* 3w (my gamer), and again off the deck, peak ballspeed was 152 and at most 2-3 yards longer than the super hybrid. It's gonna take me a minute to process the possibilities here o_O

Last edited:
Got to play 9 today. I hit the 17 SH off of the tee on 4 holes. Had 3/4 fairways hit and they were all long. i am looking for a different shaft in it for me, the Tensei Orange is great for bullets but I am not elevat it like I want. Thinking an evenflow May be the ticket.

@JDax are you going to let @HuddieJ try it!
I'll try it when we play together, but it will be hard to beat the Srixon Z H85 hybrid! I don't know if I have ever played a club quite like the Z H85 hybrid! My finishing my review on it shortly, so give it a read when I get done posting it!

This is EXACTLY why I need this club! Glad to hear it is working for you, Jim!

I've got a confession to make. I've avoided this thread like the plague for fear of spending on a hybrid that I wouldn't love. But now that the thread is 24 pages, there must be something to this.

Back