Callaway Super Hybrid

Im not sure I can think of a single company that doesn't have that many irons in line at the same time.

I believe both Srixon (3) and Cobra (4) have released less than that the past year.

As an idea I like this alot. I'm just skeptical that I'll see any gains over my Big Bertha hybrids after the Flash hybrids didnt deliver any.

I must have missed this previously. I know you have posted of your success with the Big Berthas, but didn’t realize you had not seen any gains with the Flash hybrids. I hit both and while I would agree there was not a material difference, I saw a bit more in yardage from Flash than from the Big Bertha. Also, the profile was just a tad smaller, but not a lot. That smaller size gave me more comfort hitting from less than an ideal lie.

I would be very interested to see a comparison of this new hybrid and the Big Bertha, because they seem somewhat overlapping in terms of intended user.

I want to know how this thing sounds with the new face and if said face makes its way into other clubs...

I believe both Srixon (3) and Cobra (4) have released less than that the past year.

I cannot think of any company that has released 5 to 8 iron sets in the same year, although many have 5 to 8 offerings. The closest I can think of would be Mizuno, that released the JPX 919 lineup later in the year last year, added the Hot Metal Pros earlier this year and then introduced the MP 20 lineup recently.

Something to note in regards to the price. The stock shaft is the Tensei Pro Orange which is a pretty premium offering if you ask me and quite bit more spendy than the non pro version. Glad to see something like that being offered when the price starts to climb. Great inclusion on their part and it is one hell of a shaft.

Screenshot_20191022-090759_Samsung Internet.jpg

Well Srixon has a second company in Cleveland to release the others. So technically they have that many.
And Cobra has more unless someone isn't counting One Length for some reason.

the article in the op had some great information. i also think this video with doc hoc explains a lot, and maybe helped me understand a bit better who this is targeted to.

maybe the most interesting thing to me is this is geared toward faster swingers. when i think distance hybrid, that is not the player i generally think about.

It certainly is interesting. When I first read @JB’s article, I thought this fell in the game improvement category, but the Tensei Orange shaft is more of a low launch/spin shaft, intended for better ball strikers with swing speeds. This really is a fascinating release.

I cannot think of any company that has released 5 to 8 iron sets in the same year, although many have 5 to 8 offerings. The closest I can think of would be Mizuno, that released the JPX 919 lineup later in the year last year, added the Hot Metal Pros earlier this year and then introduced the MP 20 lineup recently.

Titleist had six at one time at previous release.
AP1, AP2, AP3, TMB, CB, MB

I actually dig the look, shaft offering and intent of this club and can’t wait to give it a try.

Only negative I see is the headcover is fugly imo.

It certainly is interesting. When I first read @JB’s article, I thought this fell in the game improvement category, but the Tensei Orange shaft is more of a low launch/spin shaft, intended for better ball strikers with swing speeds. This really is a fascinating release.

That was my thought too. After reading up more about it, it made more sense in what players they are targeting and I’m even more excited to try it since it checks all the boxes that I am missing for the gapping I need help on.

@JB does this have an AI designed face? Don’t see any mention of it in the marketing materials?

I absolutely love larger hybrids like that for the distance spot. One of these in 17* to replace a 5 wood? Absolutely. I had the old RBZ hybrid and in that time frame, a lot of hybrids were bigger. Some people, like me, just hit hybrids really well, and FW distance out of a hybrid can be huge.

Something to note in regards to the price. The stock shaft is the Tensei Pro Orange which is a pretty premium offering if you ask me and quite bit more spendy than the non pro version. Glad to see something like that being offered when the price starts to climb. Great inclusion on their part and it is one hell of a shaft.

View attachment 8911928

Interesting to see the Pro Orange listed as the stock shaft on the Callaway site, but the sites with press releases on the club list the higher torque non-Pro version of the Orange as the stock option.

the article in the op had some great information. i also think this video with doc hoc explains a lot, and maybe helped me understand a bit better who this is targeted to.

maybe the most interesting thing to me is this is geared toward faster swingers. when i think distance hybrid, that is not the player i generally think about.
Very helpful and informative video.

Very helpful and informative video.

honestly that video had me pretty excited. i'm not a faster swinger, but i do think this would fit the profile for what i'm looking for. i'm thinking driver, fairway wood (strictly off the tee), distance hybrid for par 5s, iron replacement hybrid in the 4-iron slot, and start my irons with a 5-iron. also hearing doc say this one is not draw bias is a good thing for what i look for in that slot.

That was my thought too. After reading up more about it, it made more sense in what players they are targeting and I’m even more excited to try it since it checks all the boxes that I am missing for the gapping I need help on.
What club do you envision this replacing? Or, do you currently have the space to add it straight away?

I am thinking about my setup and am trying to weigh where this would fall in. Obviously, without hitting it, it's hard to say. I really like my 3 wood off the tee. I hit it decent off the deck. But, it needs to be a perfect lie to take advantage. If I could play something a little more versatile but keep the range within 10-15 yards, it would be tempting. But, this baby would have to be a rocket launcher off the tee for me to consider as that's where my 3 wood mostly gets used.

Is this not part of the Mavrik line or sort of an extension of it?
~Confused

What's funny is that I still have the XR16 pro 5w in the bag because it's small enough that it reminds me of the larger hybrids I used to have. I'm not sold on the name here, or maybe it's the graphics of the name, but the idea and product itself is something that would interest me greatly. To me it makes perfect sense I guess

What club do you envision this replacing? Or, do you currently have the space to add it straight away?

I am thinking about my setup and am trying to weigh where this would fall in. Obviously, without hitting it, it's hard to say. I really like my 3 wood off the tee. I hit it decent off the deck. But, it needs to be a perfect lie to take advantage. If I could play something a little more versatile but keep the range within 10-15 yards, it would be tempting. But, this baby would have to be a rocket launcher off the tee for me to consider as that's where my 3 wood mostly gets used.

I anticipate this replacing my current 17* hybrid and be a step up to become a par 5 second shot beast in the 225-250 range. My issue with my current hybrid is that it almost always goes left which is annoying. Supposedly they designed this to eliminate the left side and pretty versatile.

depending on the yardage I might be interested in 20*.

Interesting to see the Pro Orange listed as the stock shaft on the Callaway site, but the sites with press releases on the club list the higher torque non-Pro version of the Orange as the stock option.

I thought the same thing. Callaway webpage says it’s the pro but seeing the non pro in press releases. We shall see.
:facepalm:

Last edited:
This one is leaning more towards that of a fairway wood replacement than an iron replacement, and Im ok with that. My current 3 hybrid is only about 20 yds behind my 3 wood when both are hit solid, but I hit the 3 hybrid solid more often. I could see getting something like this in a 2i setting and seeing if I could drop the 3-wood. I wonder if this one is more draw biased and geared to the high handicapper??

I must have missed this previously. I know you have posted of your success with the Big Berthas, but didn’t realize you had not seen any gains with the Flash hybrids. I hit both and while I would agree there was not a material difference, I saw a bit more in yardage from Flash than from the Big Bertha. Also, the profile was just a tad smaller, but not a lot. That smaller size gave me more comfort hitting from less than an ideal lie.

I would be very interested to see a comparison of this new hybrid and the Big Bertha, because they seem somewhat overlapping in terms of intended user.
It's a compliment to the Berthas more than a dig at the Flash. They're both Nuclear.
If I was in the market for one or the other I'd buy the Flash hybrids for their shape, but already having the Berthas there was no reason to switch.

Interesting concept and design (fairway wood in the body of a hybrid) however the price of $319 I just don't see IMHO. Still, it would be interesting to hit.

Nice write-up Josh.

That's a ton of tech, why trade off a fairway for a more expensive hybrid though? $319 is pretty steep for a hybo, steep for a fairway too, that is Driver/Putter pricing for me.

Need to hit this and it needs to show significant performance gains for me to purchase.

Do like the Adams Super reference though.

Back