Callaway Super Hybrid

Nice write-up Josh.

That's a ton of tech, why trade off a fairway for a more expensive hybrid though? $319 is pretty steep for a hybo, steep for a fairway too, that is Driver/Putter pricing for me.

Need to hit this and it needs to show significant performance gains for me to purchase.

Do like the Adams Super reference though.

Agreed pricing is getting a bit steep there.
Especially given I play 3 or 4 hybrids at a time and may or may not even hit them all during a round.

Driver, putter I get paying more given you hit them each 13+ times a round. To replace my 3 hybrids these would cost me over a grand. No thanks.

Is this not part of the Mavrik line or sort of an extension of it?
~Confused

I believe it stands on its own. It may complement future upcoming releases, but not sure it’s directly “in the family”.

I am very interested in checking this out! I’m still very flexible at this end of the bag and could see me doing something like DR, 3W, SH, then maybe 5h or 7w. We will see.

I wonder if this one is more draw biased and geared to the high handicapper??

i posted a video above of doc hock and yo dnevs talking about this hybrid. doc mentions that this hybrid was created for a higher swing speed player looking for a fw replacement in a smaller package. smaller than a fairway, bigger than a hybrid. kind of a fybrid to steal a name from another oem. they also mention that this was not draw bias.

doc mentions that this hybrid was created for a higher swing speed player looking for a fw replacement
That leaves me out. Nice looking though.

That leaves me out. Nice looking though.

to be fair, he didn't say "higher swing speed," but more saying it was not designed for lower swing speeds. i think you could benefit from something like this if it fit your eye. but you're a fairway wood lover, so may not be a reason to try something new unless they fitter nudges you in that direction.

I’m digging this quite a bit. I wonder if we see them creeping lower lofts too... Driver replacement hybrids anyone?

This one looks great, need to check out the latest hybrids from callaway, too bad the season is almost over here in the midwest!

Love the look of the club.... interested to see and hear more about this club as someone who isn't currently gaming a hybrid

Interesting look....not really sure what to think about it yet, but it makes sense to combine the characteristics of a hybrid and a FW. It could really help some people who don't like carrying one or the other.

When I first opened the box, I was thinking "man that is big". As you dive in a bit more, it kind of rounds off of that. If that makes any sense. Kind of like saying "boy this is a tiny fairway wood" vs "this is a large hybrid".

I think this is the view I'd have to take of it. Semantics maybe, but I'd have a lot easier time thinking it might fit in the bag if my mindset was "I think I'm going to go 5W here, but if I go 17* Super Hybrid, I'm getting the same thing in a smaller profile" than if I was thinking I wanted a hybrid in that spot.

I think this is the view I'd have to take of it. Semantics maybe, but I'd have a lot easier time thinking it might fit in the bag if my mindset was "I think I'm going to go 5W here, but if I go 17* Super Hybrid, I'm getting the same thing in a smaller profile" than if I was thinking I wanted a hybrid in that spot.

Yeah my view is this is not going to be the lineup for a bunch of iron replacements. They have models for that, but rather that bridge club that will be more versatile than a fairway wood. That is my take anyway.

Titleist had six at one time at previous release.
AP1, AP2, AP3, TMB, CB, MB

Don't forget the CNCPT line as well.

My first thought when I saw this was that I didn't understand where it fits in the lineup, but after reading a bit about it, I'm intrigued. I've historically played a 3W then two hybrids, and this might be really really fun to pair up with the more iron-like Apex 4H. That's usually the line I draw in terms of whether I'm going after a green - longer than that and I'm really looking at chasing the ball up, so that 5W-type replacement sounds interesting to me.

Exactly. Small FW here instead of iron replacement. I think that mindset makes this club make a ton of sense and enticing for more people too.

Exactly. Small FW here instead of iron replacement. I think that mindset makes this club make a ton of sense and enticing for more people too.

A bit over a decade ago, Wilson Staff had a club called the Fybrid and it was really good at bridging the gap between FW and Hybrid. It was also possibly the worst marketed club they had, because they just kind of threw it in with hybrids and called it a day.

i’m torn on this one. on one hand it does seem to fit one spot in my bag. i don’t really get along with fairways off the deck, but still want to be able to attack the occasional par 5 in two and i think this might work. but how will it work any better than the big bertha, or epic flash? is it the titanium construction and internal weight placement that will help promote more launch? i guess i’m having a hard time figuring out who this is designed for, and why this would be better/different than some other in-line offerings.

If you happen to be in the area where these are produced "this guy" would like you to pick one up for him. ;)

A bit over a decade ago, Wilson Staff had a club called the Fybrid and it was really good at bridging the gap between FW and Hybrid. It was also possibly the worst marketed club they had, because they just kind of threw it in with hybrids and called it a day.

yea, I think this type of club these days with the fact that hybrids are thought of almost completely as iron replacements, will get lost without the right image put out there marketing wise. I absolutely love it, as I've said I love replacing that 5w spot with a hybrid, so it makes perfect sense to me. But I can see many losing sight of it thinking of it iron replacement wise instead of easier to hit more compact FW potentially.

Hmm. I'm not a fan of looking down at hybrids, but I do prefer smaller fairways.

Interesting release. Looking forward to real world user reviews.

Great review JB.

For those like myself that use their 3W almost exclusively off the deck, having a hybrid that gives close to the same distance sounds great. I don't have the SS to actually see that performance but it won't stop me from demoing it though.

I have a 19.5° and a 24° that make the rotation on occasion, great clubs. W/S already flies under most people's radar but the Frybrid line was basically on stealth mode.

The original 19.5 fybrid still makes the bag for me on occasion. Underrated club, nice stock shaft, and you're right about the marketing - they had a great idea, just no idea what the heck to do with it.

This one has my interest. So you can turn it down one degree to have a 16 degree rocket launcher.....if it is just as big, or bigger, of a bomber as the Epic Flash Hybrid The three wood is gone.

Yeah my view is this is not going to be the lineup for a bunch of iron replacements. They have models for that, but rather that bridge club that will be more versatile than a fairway wood. That is my take anyway.

my take which is worth literally nothing:

Super Hybrid = FW replacement
Epic Flash = True Hybrid
Big Bertha = Game improvement hybrid
Apex = Iron replacement

Thinking super hybrid and apex are if not fade biased, the least draw biased, epic flash is probably a touch draw biased if not neutral and big bertha is going to have the most draw bias.

Does that jive?

As a side note, I would love to say “this is a shot for my Super Hybrid!”

my take which is worth literally nothing:

Super Hybrid = FW replacement
Epic Flash = True Hybrid
Big Bertha = Game improvement hybrid
Apex = Iron replacement

Thinking super hybrid and apex are if not fade biased, the least draw biased, epic flash is probably a touch draw biased if not neutral and big bertha is going to have the most draw bias.

Does that jive?

That seems pretty accurate to me.

Back