Callaway Super Hybrid

Saw the Super Hybrid at the pro shop today. They had a couple 20* & 23(24*?). It’s big! I can see why it’s a distance machine!

I gave this club one last chance today but I just can't make it work. I'm pretty sure it's a shaft and/or weighting issue but I don't feel like beginning the process of diagnosing and fixing.
I'm honestly a little stunned at how poorly I hit this thing. I can hit my 18* BB 3H on a frozen rope 10 times in a row, and then top, chunk, fan, hosel, and wipe this thing off the course...and then go back to my BB 3H and hit frozen ropes again.

Another one for the attic.

20200329_080449.jpg

I was bombing this at the range this morning. I warmed up with some iron shots then hit about 30 balls in a row with the 20* I switched to driver after that and was struggling with a pull. I switched back to the Super Hybrid and was hitting much straighter shots. The Super Hybrid does not go left on me very often. This head paired with the stock 80g Tensei Orange fits me very well and its a club I can grab with confidence when the driver is not working. I have a 17* on order that I hope will be a consistent tee option and could kick the fairway wood out of my bag.

I gave this club one last chance today but I just can't make it work. I'm pretty sure it's a shaft and/or weighting issue but I don't feel like beginning the process of diagnosing and fixing.
I'm honestly a little stunned at how poorly I hit this thing. I can hit my 18* BB 3H on a frozen rope 10 times in a row, and then top, chunk, fan, hosel, and wipe this thing off the course...and then go back to my BB 3H and hit frozen ropes again.

Another one for the attic.

Could it be a shaft issue ? I think the stock shafts between the Super and the BB are about 20g. I know when I’ve tried the Super the shaft weight gets me in the Tensei. I’m used to 62g in my hybrids. I hit the Super with a Recoil and did much better with it.

I continue to use these and so far more good than bad, hit the 17 (S/D) off the tee on a par 4 and got 230 out of it with a bounce off a hill kicking forward. Par 3 playing 198 hit the 20 (+1 / D) to 10 ft drop and stop. Tried the 23 (+2/D) from 186 and got a bad kick but just short.

The misses have been both ways, but more right than left and more me setting up for a draw and hitting it straight. I still can't get it into my thick skull that these just want to go straight with a good swing.

Could it be a shaft issue ? I think the stock shafts between the Super and the BB are about 20g. I know when I’ve tried the Super the shaft weight gets me in the Tensei. I’m used to 62g in my hybrids. I hit the Super with a Recoil and did much better with it.
I use the ADDI 85 hybrid shafts in my Berthas, so the weight is similar. The Pro Orange is massively counterweight so that could be where the problem lies. But honestly, I dont have the time or the inclination to try and force a club to work for me.

I use the ADDI 85 hybrid shafts in my Berthas, so the weight is similar. The Pro Orange is massively counterweight so that could be where the problem lies. But honestly, I dont have the time or the inclination to try and force a club to work for me.

completely get that.
time to move on.

I love these emails! This has been on backorder for several weeks. I was surprised it shipped during the pandemic.

Recently Shipped​
Tracking #:​
2020 Super
2020 Super​
Qty: 1​
  • Club : Hybrid - 17°
  • Grip : Golf Pride - Plus 4 New Decade Grey 52G
  • Hand : Right
  • Length : Standard
  • Loft : 17°
  • Shaft Flex : Stiff
  • Shaft Material : Graphite
  • Shaft Type : Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 HYB Graphite
  • Wraps : Standard
3/30/2020​

I have a love/hate relationship with this club. It is truly a weapon off the tee, but off of tight lies, I am not having huge success. The head looks so big and bulky on the ground. When I hit it clean, boom. But I am hitting it fat more than I am hitting it clean on the thin lies of early spring.

I have a love/hate relationship with this club. It is truly a weapon off the tee, but off of tight lies, I am not having huge success. The head looks so big and bulky on the ground. When I hit it clean, boom. But I am hitting it fat more than I am hitting it clean on the thin lies of early spring.
This is most hybrids for me but I'm a headcase. I did enjoy this off a short tee though

I've tried a few times, but cannot for the life of me hit this 17 degree in a consistent manner.... guess I'll be putting it on the BST forum when things calm a bit... the Orange Tensei pro shaft is just a bit too "big boy" for me

Every time I come into this thread these go on my ponder list!

This is me too. I've been known to trade in a hybrid after one round. :oops:

I took the 17* to the driving range today and it could not have went better. I was concerned that it might not launch high enough but it looks perfect to my eye. I see this mainly as a tee club so I started by using a tee. I hit several solid shots in a row without a pull in sight. I felt confident and hit several off the turf with great results.

I am going to put the 17* Super Hybrid in place of my 3 wood. I am a lot more consistent with the shorter shafted hybrid and the anti left nature makes it an obvious choice. Having a club that finds fairways in the 250 yard range is going to do great things for my scores. I do not see myself carrying 3 hybrids forever, I will probably put a 4 iron back in the bag at some point.

I know everyone has been talking about hitting fades with this but I’m hitting some really nice tight draws with it. It’s been a monster off the tee. Huge distances now with it drying up some.

I still love this club... It’s a weapon off the tee on short tight par 4s and I’ve gotten use to hitting it off the deck.

It doesn’t miss left, which is a big deal for me...

I sold off my 17 super hybrid. Thing is a beast but I’m more comfortable with the Sim Ti 5 wd.
I didn’t have the consistency I was looking for with the SH. I didn’t really take to time I needed to dial it in though tbh.

I think I may be figuring this one out. I put a different shaft in it (Graphite Design Tour Ad Di) and changed the settings from draw to standard. For some reason I was hitting it better in the draw setting while working with it on TrackMan over the winter. However, on the real grass, the toe stuck up so much in the more upright setting and I never could get comfortable with it. Now, with this new shaft and in the standard lie at 16 degrees, I had a really good round with it. I am feeling more hopeful.

I still love this club... It’s a weapon off the tee on short tight par 4s and I’ve gotten use to hitting it off the deck.

It doesn’t miss left, which is a big deal for me...
I'm hoping it will eliminate the left miss for me also. My old 3H is a hook monster - not every time, but when it happens it's baaad. I won't even pull it unless I have plenty of room to the left to allow for the miss.

Another great day for this club, off the tee it is a joy to hit.

Back