Callaway Super Hybrid

I played a short Course today and hit the 17* off the tee on most Par 4s and some Par 5's and I can honestly say when nutted it is as long as my average Drive. I see some guys here hit it 260 but for me to hit it 225 and on a rope that is fun, off the deck I normally get 210 when nutted but that's me.
These are the longest lasting Hybrids I have ever had and I see nothing that can replace them at this point. Since I am going to Honma in Driver and irons / wedges I would love to go all Honma but these Super Hybrids are not going anywhere..with the right shaft it is nearly the perfect club for me.

Now the 20 deg. is the step child and I just don't hit it as well as the 17 and 23 which is odd since it has the same shaft and SW. That one might go on the block in the near future to make room for something.

I hit the Super Hybrid 17° today. This is once hell of a club. I removed my 4wood in my bag to see how the Super Hyrid would work. Well, I was very happy with the results. I only used a few times, but each time my ball had a very penetrating ball flight and I hit on both fairway and out of a decent size rough.

I have a Callaway Rogue 4 Hybrid 20°, but seriously thinking of replacing to another Super Hybrid at the same degree.

I hit the Super Hybrid 17° today. This is once hell of a club. I removed my 4wood in my bag to see how the Super Hyrid would work. Well, I was very happy with the results. I only used a few times, but each time my ball had a very penetrating ball flight and I hit on both fairway and out of a decent size rough.

I have a Callaway Rogue 4 Hybrid 20°, but seriously thinking of replacing to another Super Hybrid at the same degree.

Jim is thinking about selling his 20* one post above yours. I was hitting the 20* off the deck at the range a few minutes ago and it was just filthy long with a nice high trajectory. They should be called Super Fun Hybrids.

i changed the hosel setting from +1 neutral to +1 draw and over the last few rounds i’ve seen a draw flight. i think that has really helped me get along better with the club. it looks more closed to my eye than i’d like, but the results don’t lie.

Not sure where this is going to slot into the bag between the 3W & my Rogue 3H, but as soon as I get it, it will go in the bag in place of the 3W while I figure it out. Been keeping it close to home during lockdown and the course in my neighborhood doesn't really demand a 3W anywhere that would kill me if I was 10ish yards short. After hitting some great hybrid shots this weekend though, I'm stoked to give this one a run.

i changed the hosel setting from +1 neutral to +1 draw and over the last few rounds i’ve seen a draw flight. i think that has really helped me get along better with the club. it looks more closed to my eye than i’d like, but the results don’t lie.

I know people will think I’m nuts but al I can hit is a draw with mine right now. It’s also gotten freakishly long with the warmer and drier conditions.

20200518_081157.jpg

The quest to hit a 300 yard shot with my Super Hybrid has begun. At first I thought these long shots were a fluke but it turns out if I put a good swing on it this thing is a rocket launcher.

View attachment 8944009

The quest to hit a 300 yard shot with my Super Hybrid has begun. At first I thought these long shots were a fluke but it turns out if I put a good swing on it this thing is a rocket launcher.
That is nuts, beast mode. I am happy with 225 and think I am killing it...It just proves these clubs can work for any SS level and be productive.

View attachment 8944009

What's your driver distance on average drives? Great drives? That's massive regardless. I get some outliers from time to time with my Rogues off the tee, but if that is consistent, good for you!

What's your driver distance on average drives? Great drives? That's massive regardless. I get some outliers from time to time with my Rogues off the tee, but if that is consistent, good for you!
My average drive is under 250 due to being inconsistent. My good to great drives are in the 280-300 range. My misses are so much better with the Super Hybrid that unless its a wide open fairway the driver stays in the bag.

My average drive is under 250 due to being inconsistent. My good to great drives are in the 280-300 range. My misses are so much better with the Super Hybrid that unless its a wide open fairway the driver stays in the bag.

How much of this is carry vs roll?

What is the loft adjustment available on these hybrids? 1 degree down and 2 up ?
So a 23 degree could go down to 22 and up to 25?

What is the loft adjustment available on these hybrids? 1 degree down and 2 up ?
So a 23 degree could go down to 22 and up to 25?
yes to all

Played a Course today that we have not played in a long time (Providence CC in Davenport, Fl) the greens were about as perfect as any I have seen but they are redoing some tee boxes and some other areas on some holes, still better condition than a lot of the goat tracks in my town. We are playing the money game there Sunday so we went to check out what tees we might play and being this is an OLD guys money game for the maost part we figured the Whites and Reds or the Blues and whites. We played the white / red on the front and Blue / white on the back.

The point to all that was from the Whites I hit the 17* SH off every Par 4 and 1 Par 5 and did not miss the Driver at all, teed it up a bit higher than normal and hit some out in the 230 (maybe 240) range with some wind help. I am constantly impressed with this club, I can actually work it a bit either way and sometimes the way I intended it to go. It seems a high draw is the easiest but hold it off some and it will fade or just go straight. Same old thing if you have confidence in a swing it will produce, I wish I was that way with all my sticks.

I got a call today, my Super Hybrid is finally in and I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Excited to get it out and use it in anger for the first time on Friday.

Well hello there -

SH1.jpg

SH2.jpg

Picked it up this afternoon and took it to the range. Everything you read says this club is fade biased, but I'm not seeing it so far. I started with it on -1/D and was hitting draws, with the misses being hooks. Took it to -1/N and it was straight to slight draw (with the big miss still being a hook, which is not surprising since that's my default miss with every club). Well struck shots were high, straight and long. I hit a few pushes just because I do that sometimes, but never saw any kind of fade bias. My club speed isn't particularly high (87-90 mph with a driver), but I had no problem elevating the ball with this club (Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 shaft, R flex) . I don't have access to a launch monitor, so no spin numbers, but when I was fitted for it at on a Trackman at a Callaway demo day a couple months ago, the fitter was happy enough with the numbers he was seeing.

I couldn't get a good read on actual yardage since I was hitting range balls off a mat (and directly into a headwind). I was hitting it longer than my Mavrik 5H for sure. Well struck shots seemed to be around 190-195 yards. I'll have to get a few rounds under my belt with Garmin Golf to get some usable numbers on it and see exactly where it slots in the bag, but I like what I'm seeing so far.

Well hello there -

View attachment 8944812

View attachment 8944813

Picked it up this afternoon and took it to the range. Everything you read says this club is fade biased, but I'm not seeing it so far. I started with it on -1/D and was hitting draws, with the misses being hooks. Took it to -1/N and it was straight to slight draw (with the big miss still being a hook, which is not surprising since that's my default miss with every club). Well struck shots were high, straight and long. I hit a few pushes just because I do that sometimes, but never saw any kind of fade bias. My club speed isn't particularly high (87-90 mph with a driver), but I had no problem elevating the ball with this club (Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 shaft, R flex) . I don't have access to a launch monitor, so no spin numbers, but when I was fitted for it at on a Trackman at a Callaway demo day a couple months ago, the fitter was happy enough with the numbers he was seeing.

I couldn't get a good read on actual yardage since I was hitting range balls off a mat (and directly into a headwind). I was hitting it longer than my Mavrik 5H for sure. Well struck shots seemed to be around 190-195 yards. I'll have to get a few rounds under my belt with Garmin Golf to get some usable numbers on it and see exactly where it slots in the bag, but I like what I'm seeing so far.

that looks really nice.

The Super Hybrid 17° is just a super masher now that temps have gotten to 90° F this weekend.

I’ve gotten it straightened out with the N/D setting. I didn’t miss this weekend in the 6 times I used it during the 3 rounds.

I really want to get one with a 17* head. This is definitely on my list.

I played 18 on a nice 9 hole course this morning. I had a 4 iron in the bag instead the 23* Super Hybrid so I was only carrying the 17* and 20*. The first hole was tight and had trouble left and right so I grabbed the four iron that I am not comfortable with right out of the car with no range balls. Clank, I hit a poor shot with it and was already missing the 23* after one shot. Hole two was a very tight dog leg left that would be easy to drive through the fairway into the right rough with driver or even the 17* Super Hybrid. After a scrambling par on hole one I hit a nice draw with the 20* dead center of the small landing area. The second time I played that hole it did not draw but I was in good shape in the right rough. Its crazy how much confidence I have with these clubs compared to fairway woods and long irons.

Hole 9 is a dogleg right par five. I hit driver the first time and drove it through the fairway into the left rough. The second time I hit the 17* but popped it up. I had 268 yards to the pin with no trouble up by the green. I normally use the 20* off the deck but feeling a bit pissed about my tee shot I grabbed the 17* and let it rip. I watched in amazement as this laser hit pin high just left of the green and ended up 30 yards past the green.

That 4 iron never got used again and the 23* is going back in the bag immediately. I never thought that I would carry three hybrids but the results are indisputable.

this club continues to be an enigma for me. I still have no confidence in it or knowing where it's going. i'm going to give it a little more time, but I'm starting to wonder whether something with a little less loft and a little more spin would be a better fit. visually I still don't love how shut it looks with its larger footprint with 23* of loft. i'd like to stay in the Callaway family, maybe i'll search cpo for an in-line apex hybrid.

this club continues to be an enigma for me. I still have no confidence in it or knowing where it's going. i'm going to give it a little more time, but I'm starting to wonder whether something with a little less loft and a little more spin would be a better fit. visually I still don't love how shut it looks with its larger footprint with 23* of loft. i'd like to stay in the Callaway family, maybe i'll search cpo for an in-line apex hybrid.
With @badolds pic earlier, it looks shut to me too. The Apex looked great to me in hand but I haven't hit either. Good luck!

With @badolds pic earlier, it looks shut to me too. The Apex looked great to me in hand but I haven't hit either. Good luck!
I don't think it's actually shut. I mean, it's not a club that wants to go left for me at all. heck, today I had the ball sitting in the rough (Bermuda grass gon' grab that hosel) AND above my feet, but it still went right with no draw spin. ended up with a penalty because it didn't do what I expected. it's that kind of thing that keeps giving me fits.

Back