Callaway Tour Grind MD2 Wedge Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice. Gotta get my hands on one.

Great review and definitely something I'll be looking to upgrade to in the near future.

Great review!
My MD2 is by far my favorite wedge, maybe I'll have to look into a set of these.

Very good review. I like the oval etching on the face. It looks like links in a chain.
The matte/satin finish really looks good too.

Big fan of the previous model, but here are a few things that really stick out to me with this generation.

o 39% larger grooves provide more spin and control from all lies and distances
o Creates 25% more spin from rough than previous model

While my technique has changed for the better, i thought the MD2 were one of the 2 sets of wedges Ive tried out that I saw a increase in spin greenside for me. Now you are telling me theres nearly 40% more grooves and I can get even more from the rough too....YES PLEASE.

Edit...disregard I'm an idiot since the change was to the grinds.

Also glad to hear about the additional toe relief, as Im not a real high lob player so this would cater well for my bump and runs

Last edited:
I find interesting that callaway still states that the laser face etching is improves surface friction and performance even though Roger Cleveland himself stated last year that the laser etching, while it looks great, has no effect on spin/performance.

Big fan of the previous model, but here are a few things that really stick out to me with this generation.

o 39% larger grooves provide more spin and control from all lies and distances
o Creates 25% more spin from rough than previous model

While my technique has changed for the better, i thought the MD2 were one of the 2 sets of wedges Ive tried out that I saw a increase in spin greenside for me. Now you are telling me theres nearly 40% more grooves and I can get even more from the rough too....YES PLEASE.

Also glad to hear about the additional toe relief, as Im not a real high lob player so this would cater well for my bump and runs

Mike - those numbers are the differences between the orginal MD and the MD2. There is no difference in grooves between the MD2 and MD2-TG

Mike - those numbers are the differences between the orginal MD and the MD2. There is no difference in grooves between the MD2 and MD2-TG
Ah ok that makes more sense since it's the grind change lol

Callaway takes a winning design and makes it more versatile? Me likey. Wonderful writeup, James.

The additional toe relief is a big deal. Great for low chip shots.

I love the U Grind on my 60 and couldn't see going away from it, but I could definitely see a Tour Grind 56 bent to 55 in my future.

Very nice review. I like the looks of these wedges, from the micro grind face to the traditional shaped head.

I hit these wedges last week. Spin was a little better than the Vokey SM5 that I was testing as well, but I liked the shape of the Vokey just a little more. The straighter leading edge is a huge upgrade in my eyes. In a way, if you like the look of the original MD2, you probably won't like the look of the Tour Grind and vice versa.

Great review. These look like some stellar wedges. I know you touched on the T grind/heel-toe relief getting through the rough fine; did you notice any more spin than usual from the rough?

Need. It. Now.

I'm pleased to see this T Grind in the 54 degree version. I prefer this type of grind to what was available for the 54 degree in the first iteration of the MD2 wedges which only had the S-grind. Time to think about replacing my current 54 degree and 58 degree with MD2 Tour Design versions.

Great review! I definitely have to get my hands on these to give them a shot.

James really did have a great time with this review. I've found the same things he has and will continue to have it help improve my game around the greens. It's great to have such a versatile club in the bag, so much so that I can drop the 60* and add a club somewhere else.

Sounds like a good improvement on the MD2, great job on the review!

Great review....had my eyes on these since I first heard about them. Planning on pulling the trigger on one.

Have my order in. Excited to put them through their paces.

Great writeup James! Just got mine and I am so excited to use them this weekend. I am much preferring the shape of the Tour Grind to the original for sure.

The additional toe relief is a big deal. Great for low chip shots.

I love the U Grind on my 60 and couldn't see going away from it, but I could definitely see a Tour Grind 56 bent to 55 in my future.

Keep in mind its not just a grind though, the actual wedge shape has changed with the straight leading edge and higher toe, it looks much more like the awesome classic xforged now.

Great write up & can't believe I forgot to hit these this past weekend. I like what I'm reading & while my SM5's are delivering for me in all areas, my curiosity is there and might get one to compare.

Just got mine, looks and feels great, hopefully try it out this afternoon after work, I got the sixty degree

Back