Callaway UPro MX GPS

still havent gotten word back... hopefully by the end of the day

Sorry to say I couldn't make it to the course and Sunday. My next opertunity is Wednesday. Hopefully I can give you some good feed back on a pro mode.

Thanks, I was just wondering. I am waiting to get the update myself.

still havent heard back from them and its been more than 2 days :sad:

still havent heard back from them and its been more than 2 days :sad:

Callaway did not send a note telling me the update was available. Two days after they emailed that I would be a beta tester, I connected my upro mx, and when I sync'd at uxplore, the "upload ver. 2.2?" window appeared.

One odd thing -- everytime I plug in my upro mx, my wireless stops working?? Not a problem before this week. I had to hunt down a network cable and plug into my router to do the upgrade -- but it did work. I have ver 2.2 now.

More updates after I mess with it for a few days ...

Played again today, worked great. Struggle with scrolling to enter score, or turning on side for score.
55% battery after 18.

Were you able to do shot tracking? I upgraded to version 2.2 yesterday, and now in the "play" mode, the bottom right always shows a scorecard icon, rather than the shot-tracking icon. Tapping the scorecard icon does take me to the scorecard, so it is not just an incorrect icon. There are many other changes already described, but this one must be an error.

Has anyone been able to use shottracking with the 2.2 software?

Thanks.

Were you able to do shot tracking? I upgraded to version 2.2 yesterday, and now in the "play" mode, the bottom right always shows a scorecard icon, rather than the shot-tracking icon. Tapping the scorecard icon does take me to the scorecard, so it is not just an incorrect icon. There are many other changes already described, but this one must be an error.

Has anyone been able to use shottracking with the 2.2 software?

Thanks.

ARRRGG! look at my website exchange with Callaway tech support regarding shot tracking with new software (at least they responded quickly) --

ME: I upgraded my software to ver 2.2 yesterday. Now when I go to "Play Golf" and choose a course, each hole shows the scorecard icon in the lower right corner of the screen, not the shot tracking icon. What do I do to track my shots?

Callaway Support: We found that the shot tracking feature was largely unused by the majority of our golfers, and that those who did use it found the experience to be a bit cumbersome. While this feature has the potential to be very useful, we have decided to remove it and plan to replace it with a redesigned solution in an upcoming release.

ME: That is unfortunate. The shot tracking feature was THE major feature I wanted in a GPS after the FMB distances. To add insult, the "ProMode" tutorial STILL SHOWS SHOT TRACKING!! Is there any way to go back to software version 2.01?? I think I'd rather have shot tracking and accept that I only get one round per charge -- especially since I'm skeptical that the new software will significantly improve the power usage (haven't had a chance to test it yet, but just trying the different functions at home, seems the power drain is about the same).

2/1/2012 UPDATE: new message from Callaway Support: "There is no method of backdating from the 2.2 software to 2.01 at this time. We do plan to replace it with a redesigned shot tracking option later on."

(snarky comment from ME: Considering the rate of progress so far, having shot tracking in 2012 would surprise me.)

Last edited:
so glad i got rid of this when i could...sorry u guys are still battling

now i am glad mine didnt update to the 2.2... mine is 2.0 still
i love the shot tracking... besides distances its the only other thing i bought my gps for... seeing how far i hit the stupid ball

mines updated to the 2.0 and it works exactly like the 1.0
im afraid to update it anymore since they might take away the club selector thingabob

The new software version is 2.2...
yeah i dont want to update it to the 2.2 since some of the updates removed some of the options i use alot

Well, today I shipped back my upro mx for a refund. Removing the shot tracking without warning, and without a way to undo the upgrade, was the last straw after all the other delays. I must say that Callaway was excellent about the whole situation -- when I said they should refund me since this was no longer the device I paid for, they agreed without argument. They even sent a UPS label for free return shipping, and they're refunding the unlimited promode package as well.

Despite the problems with the device, I found Callaway customer support and tech support excellent, and what it did do, it did well for me (LIKE SHOT TRACKING!). They said the shot tracking would return in a future upgrade, but no word on when that would happen.

So I'm now looking for a GPS again. I just saw that Garmin is coming out with the G6; it's half the size/weight of the G5, and sounds like most of what the mx was supposed to be (minus the aerial flyovers). Anyone have info on this? I didn't see a thread, maybe I'll start one. I'm wondering what the risk is of getting burned again (i.e., device just being released), but this seems to be an upgrade from G3&G5, rather than an entirely new platform like the upro mx. Any thoughts?

Just a little update. Callaway has sent out a notice for a second beta test. I should have the update by Monday. Went out Thursday and played again with the original beta test. I am having good results with my upro mx. I have not lost my signal at all or had the unit lock up. It is operating very smoothly now. Very happy about that. Now I just take it out of sleep mode and I am rady to go. I have noticed a better response time of moving around on the pro mode views.

hey i got an email asking me to accept, but there is no accept button, did you encounter the same issue. im playing monday and i hope to get this new beta update before i go out.

hey i got an email asking me to accept, but there is no accept button, did you encounter the same issue. im playing monday and i hope to get this new beta update before i go out.
Yes I got the same email. I am hoping that was just a confirmation of my excepting. Guess we will find out Monday.

played a round with the new 2.2 update. looks good and smoother as usual. The gps lock was excellent, i think i turned it on while teeing off and when i drove to my ball it already picked up signal.
cant wait for the next update. btw i just chatted to a guy i know at callaway and he said that he saw the new features and more updates to the MX rolling out soon and its awesome. im also going to be trying the new balls which is out for release today or tomorrow i forgot what he said. ill be getting a sleeve of the hex black and chrome. Callaway support is the best.

I bought the original UPro when it came out. It died and they sent me the MX for free. Used it with 2.0 for 16 rounds so far with no issues. I just read the release notes for version 2.3.001. Sounds pretty good but they're getting rid of shot tracker. I actually found it fairly easy to use.

http://www.callawayuxplore.com/support Scroll down to you see Release Notes under Most popular answers.
[h=2][/h]

shot tracker is the only thing thats good lol

Play my round today with the 2.3 version. The unit was doing a good job on the front 9, picking up the signal fast today. Then I made the turn and was trying to get my distance for my approach shot, but the unit was giving me distance to the third hole. Also had it on the tee of a par 5 andit gave me a distance tot the hole of 165. I had to scroll through the different modes andfinally it came back with the correct yardage. Not real sure what the deal was there. All and all it i functioning raher well. Just a fe issues showing up.

I tried to stick it out with the MX Upro - but found that it was just taking too long for Callaway to fix the issues. I finally caved and sent it back to them last week and bought the new Garmin G6 and boy I tell you, Callaway should call Garmin. The G6 is amazinggggggg.

I tried to stick it out with the MX Upro - but found that it was just taking too long for Callaway to fix the issues. I finally caved and sent it back to them last week and bought the new Garmin G6 and boy I tell you, Callaway should call Garmin. The G6 is amazinggggggg.

and on top of the heavy up front cost, you pay monthly/yearly fees ??? why ??

I have played several rounds with my Upro MX and had no issues. I would like to see shot tracker brought back though. Plus my home course is not mapped as a ProCourse...I have requested it, be haven't heard anything back.

I must say that Callaway has bent over backwards to satisfy their customers. While I think they really screwed up and taken an enormous amount of time to get to where we are today (and they still have some issues to resolve like finishing the software for Macintosh users and putting back the shot tracker) I still commend them for helping out their clients - like sending accessories to make the pain a bit less annoying or in my case sending me out a new unit with all of my information on it - albeit with the PC software but still for now it works. I can't make any changes to it right now but when the Mac version comes out I will be able to add course and such. So until I get the Mac version I give them a 5 compared to the 1 before.

god this thing was a disaster for them...total bust

god this thing was a disaster for them...total bust

Initially? Sure. Total muck up. However they seem pretty commited to getting it right and then re-releasing it so I can't fault them there.

Everyone who's moved uo to 2.2 or 2.3 software seems pretty impressed with it now. I'm hoping them finish up the club selector and tracking and then start churning the units out again.

Back