Callaway X Forged CB Irons Review

radiman

#TheGrandaddy2019
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Remove clubs to clear a good shot of the xfcb? Or because pictures of said clubs are not to be seen yet?
Never mind, I just saw the photo editing. It’s been a long day, lol.

JNewsted

Reaction score
Handicap
Super charged to hear you are impressed by your X-Forged CB irons. How do you find the IO shafts in terms of shock absorption? Can you elaborate on your comment about playing a little soft? Early feedback is they are a great combination with the XF irons. Thanks
As far as shock absorption, I wouldn’t say it’s more or less than the standard Project X or Dynamic Gold I’ve played for years. Not this set and my cf16s are 6.0, and I could probably feel the club head a bit more with the IO. I’ve pretty much been in stiff iron shafts for 15 years but I feel I could go 6.5 in these.

Playing tomorrow and excited to get them out for round one.

shanewu

@shaneb0t
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

Jimmy3864

“JimmyD”
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
As far as shock absorption, I wouldn’t say it’s more or less than the standard Project X or Dynamic Gold I’ve played for years. Not this set and my cf16s are 6.0, and I could probably feel the club head a bit more with the IO. I’ve pretty much been in stiff iron shafts for 15 years but I feel I could go 6.5 in these.

Playing tomorrow and excited to get them out for round one.
Let us know how your inaugural round goes, excited for you....always so much fun getting new irons.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Took some swings with the 8 iron today in the tech studio. I really do like the shaft pairing with the Project X and while its not the profile I normally gravitate towards, there is this dense like feeling at impact that is oddly addictive.

Tevenor

The 2021 Grandaddy!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
7ish
Took some swings with the 8 iron today in the tech studio. I really do like the shaft pairing with the Project X and while its not the profile I normally gravitate towards, there is this dense like feeling at impact that is oddly addictive.
I had the same feeling when I did a 6iron vs my existing 7i T200 comparison ( closest loft matching I could get ). Denser on impact, a really solid thump. Maybe it was my imagination, but I swear I could feel the weight farther down the face then my T200. Not sure how else to describe it. But for a smaller head, still really easy to hit. The sound/feel combo is very addicting.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I had the same feeling when I did a 6iron vs my existing 7i T200 comparison ( closest loft matching I could get ). Denser on impact, a really solid thump. Maybe it was my imagination, but I swear I could feel the weight farther down the face then my T200. Not sure how else to describe it. But for a smaller head, still really easy to hit. The sound/feel combo is very addicting.
It definitely is. I get to test a lot, but always seem to come back to these for some fun. Something about the feel is wildly addicting.

shanewu

@shaneb0t
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Man, these addictive feel comments really make me want to try these.

OldandStiff

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
I finally put some of these in play today, and they were exactly what I had seen in trying then again and again and again. They feel really great, hit the flight and spin windows I look for, and have an offset shape that bugs me visually. I don't know why I can't shake that, but it makes perfect sense that they're as dynamite on course as they've been on monitor, because I'm fated to have to play clubs I don't want to. :LOL:

Had a bunch of great shots with them today, highlighted by sticking a 5i from 208 to 1' for eagle. They're pretty sweet on the hands and ears when hit pure outdoors. IO 6.5 was great as always for me, and the combo transition to the Apex MB's was pretty flawless.

Long story short, they did exactly what they're supposed to, and I played pretty great with them.

93civiccpe

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I finally put some of these in play today, and they were exactly what I had seen in trying then again and again and again. They feel really great, hit the flight and spin windows I look for, and have an offset shape that bugs me visually. I don't know why I can't shake that, but it makes perfect sense that they're as dynamite on course as they've been on monitor, because I'm fated to have to play clubs I don't want to. :LOL:

Had a bunch of great shots with them today, highlighted by sticking a 5i from 208 to 1' for eagle. They're pretty sweet on the hands and ears when hit pure outdoors. IO 6.5 was great as always for me, and the combo transition to the Apex MB's was pretty flawless.

Long story short, they did exactly what they're supposed to, and I played pretty great with them.
When you have kick-ins for eagle you've got to keep them in the bag right!

OldandStiff

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
When you have kick-ins for eagle you've got to keep them in the bag right!
Is it that simple?! 'Cause that would help. I might have to try this methodology.

#gospelaccordingto @93civiccpe

93civiccpe

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Is it that simple?! 'Cause that would help. I might have to try this methodology.

#gospelaccordingto @93civiccpe
In my defense I've yet to have a 1 foot putt for eagle. When I do those will stay in the bag a long time!!

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
+

Do not fear the offset!

shanewu

@shaneb0t
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

Duuuuuuuude! Sounds like a helluva shot! Too bad that offset is so gross. :ROFLMAO:

OldandStiff

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Duuuuuuuude! Sounds like a helluva shot! Too bad that offset is so gross. :ROFLMAO:
Haha I'll get used to them if need be. I've played ones with more and done fine. I think I've just turned into a picky b*tch. :LOL:

MattyD-MPLS

Captain for The 2021 Grandaddy
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I got to hit these tonight with the stock Project X IO 6.5. They were incredibly consistent. The feel was buttery soft! Had 2 outliers of the 10, otherwise the 8 others were great! @Canadan was right with this pairing of shafts. 09513BC2-A0B1-4610-8A18-79B605C75E33.jpeg

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
+

Tevenor

The 2021 Grandaddy!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
7ish

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

Tevenor

The 2021 Grandaddy!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
7ish

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Great numbers. Seems similar experiences had by a few different people. Going to be some hard choices coming up.
Definitely in the mix. I would like to try them with the Tour Issue x100.

Tevenor

The 2021 Grandaddy!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
7ish
Definitely in the mix. I would like to try them with the Tour Issue x100.
I was able to try out the 6i thing in the same shaft I use and had great results. Similar to yours.

Hard to say why a release that had so much chatter because of the look pre-release has had comparitively minor coverage after for how good they are.

OldandStiff

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
I got to hit these tonight with the stock Project X IO 6.5. They were incredibly consistent. The feel was buttery soft! Had 2 outliers of the 10, otherwise the 8 others were great! @Canadan was right with this pairing of shafts. View attachment 8983992
My favorite monitor pairing!! These two together is seriously the only reason I bought either one. Did you like the lighter weight?

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in