Callaway X Forged CB Irons Review

sorry if i missed it in the video, but are there different plates available during a fitting? that's the only thing i can think about the screws in the rear plate. if it's just one plate to fit all golfers, then i really wish they would have glued in or found some other way to adhere the rear plate and done away with the screws. it's a small gripe, because i love everything else about the way these look.

It isn't in my information, but my gut feeling says yes. Not to the general public however I would imagine.

I enjoyed the video presentation and format - it's a great improvement. Thanks.

As to the iron, I'm sure it will work for the low capper market - I must have skipped over the forgiveness section but I assume it's a low cap iron, which is great. Such players need a shorter blade length, more precision, less forgiveness, more workability - reminds me of the Mizuno MMC in some ways - use of tungsten, low capper iron. BTW, I am not that market but I've heard enough from low cappers and what they look for and what bothers them. This should please them.

Mizuno has a sleeker look in the MMC with Ti and Tungsten, but if Callaway has the ability to change SW based on the screw weight, that will help more demanding players who don't want much help.

As to price, heck, if you do it right the first time and get fitted by a good clubmaker, it costs you more at first, but less in the long run.

Last edited:
It isn't in my information, but my gut feeling says yes. Not to the general public however I would imagine.

I feel like I was told these will be something that can be ordered at some point. Can not confirm that though.

I think having it available at fitting is pretty cool. In my experience, with as limited as our fitting options are locally, we've never really been able to test a club at different swing weights. Just swapping to different shafts and lie angles. This is a whole new dynamic for a lot of golfers I think that don't have a Club Champion or other really high end fitter around.

i really don't understand these pricing comments. it's $200 more than p7mc and jpx 921f (i'm using 921f because i would think the tech and materials are more in line with this than the 921t), $300 more than when they released the last x forged a few years ago. callaway has always been on the wrong side of price leading, presumably because of more tech/better materials/whatever. yes it's expensive, but it doesn't seem out of whack relative to what the other guys are doing.

I'm not buying those irons either though. I'm sure the tech is there. I'm sure the tungsten badge on the back isn't as clunky looking in person. I just don't see a reason to change based on what I see.

I feel like I was told these will be something that can be ordered at some point. Can not confirm that though.

Without it being a stock wrench, I am not sure the general public would have much access. Fitters and builders, I could see that being the case.

I think having it available at fitting is pretty cool. In my experience, with as limited as our fitting options are locally, we've never really been able to test a club at different swing weights. Just swapping to different shafts and lie angles. This is a whole new dynamic for a lot of golfers I think that don't have a Club Champion or other really high end fitter around.

Im not sure that is viable honestly. Shaft and head combos of a fitting alter swing weight, so changes do occur.

I'm not buying those irons either though. I'm sure the tech is there. I'm sure the tungsten badge on the back isn't as clunky looking in person. I just don't see a reason to change based on what I see.

that's totally fair. but what does that have to do with price? i don't mean to sound like i'm attacking your comment, you're certainly not the only one who has mentioned the price. i'm just wondering why it's a talking point for some when it doesn't seem to be out of whack with other companies, at least not to me anyway.

hmmm, then i like the screws on the back even less. i wish they had designed around those for a cleaner look. not a deal breaker at all, just nitpicking an otherwise phenomenal looking iron.

Without it being a stock wrench, I am not sure the general public would have much access. Fitters and builders, I could see that being the case.

Im not sure that is viable honestly. Shaft and head combos of a fitting alter swing weight, so changes do occur.

Agree. I have not seen a fitter change swingweights during a fitting. Maybe some lead tape to give you a taste, but not removing screws in an iron. I asked about that in a PXG iron, and the fitter laughed. Those things are so tight ... (insert punchline).

hmmm, then i like the screws on the back even less. i wish they had designed around those for a cleaner look. not a deal breaker at all, just nitpicking an otherwise phenomenal looking iron.

It's an interesting dynamic and to relate it to a parallel look at putters, which many have screws or weights in heel and toe and while replacements exist, they are not readily available in all cases. I think when used, it could really dial in the swing weight.

that's totally fair. but what does that have to do with price? i don't mean to sound like i'm attacking your comment, you're certainly not the only one who has mentioned the price. i'm just wondering why it's a talking point for some when it doesn't seem to be out of whack with other companies, at least not to me anyway.

Sounds like you're totally attacking my comment, and now we will duel at sunset. When I find a nicely used range glove, I shall slap you in the face with it sir.

I guess the price seems steep to me, because when the Apex came out, that was their big time price jump, and it made sense. Premium materials, I get it. They were what, 1200? Now we're at 1600? I do understand that there is a market for them and people are gonna buy them. I'm sure they're gonna be a good iron too.

Sounds like you're totally attacking my comment, and now we will duel at sunset. When I find a nicely used range glove, I shall slap you in the face with it sir.

I guess the price seems steep to me, because when the Apex came out, that was their big time price jump, and it made sense. Premium materials, I get it. They were what, 1200? Now we're at 1600? I do understand that there is a market for them and people are gonna buy them. I'm sure they're gonna be a good iron too.

The last Apex line launched at $1400 for Steel and $1500 for Graphite in early 2019.

The last Apex line launched at $1400 for Steel and $1500 for Graphite in early 2019.

Didn't we put away price as a factor when PXG came out? lol. These Callaways are a bargain.

And CallawayPreOwned is great if you can wait a year. I am more interested in the performance and comparisons with other irons.

Epic Forged where more than both, and this is/should be a better iron.

Epic Forged where more than both, and this is/should be a better iron.

Im not sure the comparison is there on these two sets. Very Very different from every measurable.

I suppose it was inevitable that visible tech would make its way into a product line geared toward better players but I don’t especially love the way it looks. I guess I’m too conditioned to think player’s irons should be clean and sleek

Soles look thinner than I was anticipating, comparable to P7MC?

Any word on if these will replace Apex Pro? If not, Im curious how they'll differ from each other.

I guess my thought would be that if you find a shaft/head combo that is close to optimal, being able to further fine tune that club during the fitting by adjusting the weight on the head to see if timing can be improved on would be cool. Or, if they're getting good numbers, but the player feels the club is too heavy or too light. I don't know how viable it would be I guess in the grand scheme of things. I don't know how much a minor swing weight change would alter results. Probably overthinking it. I may or may not have a tendency to do so, lol.

I guess my thought would be that if you find a shaft/head combo that is close to optimal, being able to further fine tune that club during the fitting by adjusting the weight on the head to see if timing can be improved on would be cool. Or, if they're getting good numbers, but the player feels the club is too heavy or too light. I don't know how viable it would be I guess in the grand scheme of things. I don't know how much a minor swing weight change would alter results. Probably overthinking it. I may or may not have a tendency to do so, lol.

The weight of a few dollar bills on the end of a long stick can affect consistency but I think the overall weight of the shaft and how it fits you has more of an effect. Yes, you know that. Bring some lead tape to a fitting. Easy enough and see what the LM says. Then spec your SW's.

The weight of a few dollar bills on the end of a long stick can affect consistency but I think the overall weight of the shaft and how it fits you has more of an effect. Yes, you know that. Bring some lead tape to a fitting. Easy enough and see what the LM says. Then spec your SW's.
True. But shafts can greatly vary in design and weight. If I'm using the same fitting head with a 130 gram shaft and the next guy up is looking at a 95 gram shaft, I think having the ability to adjust the head weight accordingly would be beneficial.

Again, that's just me assuming. I have zero evidence or data suggesting that I am correct, lol.

True. But shafts can greatly vary in design and weight. If I'm using the same fitting head with a 130 gram shaft and the next guy up is looking at a 95 gram shaft, I think having the ability to adjust the head weight accordingly would be beneficial.

Again, that's just me assuming. I have zero evidence or data suggesting that I am correct, lol.

Yes, it would be. That's why I go to a clubmaker. I know some OEM's have different weighted heads and a good fitter would ask for and demand them. And they'd have them if they pay their bills on time. OEMs like accounts that pay early.

Bring your lead tape.

My fault, I was referring to the OG Apex

Yes, it would be. That's why I go to a clubmaker. I know some OEM's have different weighted heads and a good fitter would ask for and demand them. And they'd have them if they pay their bills on time. OEMs like accounts that pay early.

Bring your lead tape.
Haha, that would be ideal. No club makers here. No true fitters. One golf retailer with very limited fitting options. Don't know how they'd react if I brought a roll of lead tape. Would probably be a first for them.

@Canadan another stellar video! You do an awesome job describing the iron, your swing, performance, etc. I would like to see these in person. I’m not a huge fan of the industrial look. Performance seems stellar on these. I’m curious how many Callaway staffers will put these in their bags?

Looks wise these are a huge step backwards from the 2018 version. That price isn’t making me want to jump.

I’ve loved my XForged and won’t be upgrading to these.

I do like seeing a set AW this time around, I really wish mine had that. I may pick up just the AW and see how well it gaps with what I have.

Back