Callaway X Forged CB Irons Review

A standard wrench that adjusts drivers does not remove. You can tell by the middle piece sticking up in our hi res pictures.
Looks like a "tamper-proof" torx screw.

The Urethane Microspheres are in the UT only due to the Face Cup whereas the CB has a Face Plate and no microspheres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there anything behind the face plate or is it just hollow?

Alright, I'm home and it's time to take in this video and see what this bad boy is all about!

Ok. First off, some nice swinging @Canadan ! Sounds pretty solid at impact. Really liking the results you were getting as well.

Now just have to convince Mrs. Radiman that I absolutely need to get new irons. I'm sure she'll be really understanding...

Ok. First off, some nice swinging @Canadan ! Sounds pretty solid at impact. Really liking the results you were getting as well.

Now just have to convince Mrs. Radiman that I absolutely need to get new irons. I'm sure she'll be really understanding...

by the time you can play again, these should be on cpo haha

Ridiculously priced.

Callaway intent on making clubs played by nobody.

Ridiculously priced.

callaway has very competitively priced irons in the mavrik line, with some seriously impressive tech. these are one of many options in the company's lineup. i don't think it's fair to paint the company with such a broad brush.

Last edited:
Ridiculously priced.

There are definitely 'ridiculously priced' irons out there... Hell, these aren't even close to the most expensive in Callaway's lineup (Epic Forged).

Are they priced well? I guess that's defined by how many people purchase.

callaway has very competitively priced irons in the mavrik line, with some seriously impressive tech. these are one of many options in the company's lineup. i don't think it's fair to paint the company wish such a broad brush.
I think perspective plays a pretty big role.

We can go down the PXG rabbit hole and get (more) frustrated at value.
We can talk about TaylorMade's P790 ti irons and their 2,500 dollar price tag.

There is obviously a reason these are priced where they are, and we all know that decisions are made to accommodate both interest and value. Is this the kind of iron that's going to fly off the shelf for Callaway? I'd personally be shocked if it even sniffed Apex or Mavrik.

I think perspective plays a pretty big role.

We can go down the PXG rabbit hole and get (more) frustrated at value.
We can talk about TaylorMade's P790 ti irons and their 2,500 dollar price tag.

There is obviously a reason these are priced where they are, and we all know that decisions are made to accommodate both interest and value. Is this the kind of iron that's going to fly off the shelf for Callaway? I'd personally be shocked if it even sniffed Apex or Mavrik.

for 12% less, $200, $25 per iron, the internet seems to have its pants on fire over a couple other sets that were recently released. is that really enough of a difference to explain why one company's iron (that may or may not have as much tech) flies off the shelf but this doesn't? maybe it was there and i didn't see it, but i don't recall as much price talk when the other companies released their new irons. i'm not sure i understand the sentiment here if it didn't apply there. that's not directed at you, just generally not understanding.

for 12% less, $200, $25 per iron, the internet seems to have its pants on fire over a couple other sets that were recently released. is that really enough of a difference to explain why one company's iron (that may or may not have as much tech) flies off the shelf but this doesn't? maybe it was there and i didn't see it, but i don't recall as much price talk when the other companies released their new irons. i'm not sure i understand the sentiment here if it didn't apply there. that's not directed at you, just generally not understanding.
I would assume from Callaway's perspective, this is an iron that favors the better player, and isn't the best fit for the majority of golfers (who have other excellent options to select from in Callaway's lineup).

The beauty of having options, despite some being bothered by it. Ranges of distance/forgiveness/price etc for all golfers.

I would assume from Callaway's perspective, this is an iron that favors the better player, and isn't the best fit for the majority of golfers (who have other excellent options to select from in Callaway's lineup).

The beauty of having options, despite some being bothered by it. Ranges of distance/forgiveness/price etc for all golfers.

oh for sure, i agree on that target market. and that target market generally isn't seeking the best value. i'm still waiting for someone to give me a justification for why blades are expensive as they are lol

so if that market is ok to pay, and these are not vastly out of line with other competitors (yes more, but not insanely more imho), why the price hate by so many?

I really love the look here for some reason. Kind of reminds me of another company that had a screw weight in the back in the past that still to this day is one of my favorite looks for that company. This one might slip into that spot for me for Callaway too.

Great video. Finally some really good pictures also. Still loving my Apex19’s and Pro’s but I am definitely intrigued I will see through the winter first part of the year try to get in somewhere to see how they would fit to me. Any better pictures of the sole?

Well done Team THP, a big improvement on the video front! Great review.
Yet another one to try in my quest for new irons. The looks are not really up my street but perhaps they do look better in real life.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

These are priced fairly for the value imo, go down the JDM rabbit hole and see the pot of gold at the bottom (for them) $300 per stick is cheap for the higher rated stuff.
The X is really not what I need anymore but I would love to know if they have truely embraced the fitting / build process with these weights or if they are just intended for the special builds like the pros and will not take the time or money to actually use the tech for Joe Public or will sell whatever they consider a stock option and not change things as needed.

The looks of the club are pretty close to perfect to my eye, not too flashy and not too bland.

I am now firmly stuck halfway down the PXG rabbit hole which can give me just what I need in a design (hollow but smaller overall) and even with the discounted from stupid prices they are still in the JDM higher end catergory and to me the X look 100% better than all the damn screws.

It is not out of the realm of possiblilty that I will demo them at some point, but unless they were adjusted 2 deg stronger I doubt I could tolerate the lose of distance.

This is something that @JDax and I were speaking about. The images really make it look more industrial or unfinished, but in hand they look pretty darn good. Almost high tech meets industrial and it is very polished.
I’ll see today. Going to try and hit/hold them. Like the specs a little closer to traditional. Don’t know if they will unseat the Apex 19 though. Will try to put them head to head with the Catalyst shaft.

I keep going back and forth on the looks of these. I kind of like the industrial look buy then again it looks kind of like they threw two different designs together to make one club. I'll definitely give them some swings when they come in here though.

I know that price use beginning somewhat of the norm for that kind of club but I can't see myself splurging like that on any iron set.

Played Callaway forged in past and low handicap son does now and these are reasonably attractive for having the weights and expect really perform.

i'm still waiting for someone to give me a justification for why blades are expensive as they are lol
Sex appeal? Lol.

Sex appeal? Lol.

Yes. Then add smaller production runs, etc. All can lead to higher prices.
Back to the CB line, I am going to put them in play for a Sim round tomorrow. :D

Yes. Then add smaller production runs, etc. All can lead to higher prices.
Back to the CB line, I am going to put them in play for a Sim round tomorrow. :D
Jealous! Interested in your thoughts on them. I won't try to hide the fact that there is some heavy Callaway bias on my part. Who can blame me? But, everything I have read or seen on them has my interests peaking. Have message into my friend at the local shop to let me know when they have demos in so I can get those initial swings and share some thoughts on them.

The more I look at these, the more they fall short for me. I am not talking about the performance aspect, because @Canadan showed us in the video these perform really well across the face. I just prefer a cleaner look and the screws bug me. Maybe removing the screws would give it a better look?

Either way I know I am in the minority here and probably not the type of golfer they are targeting with this release, but I was hoping for something better looks wise with this release because the previous version nailed it imo.

Back