Callaway X Forged CB Irons Review

Got it. I don't think I agree with the premise that all irons end up resulting the same but if in your testing/experience that's what you have seen, then ok. I know from my experience, there has been a lot of difference in results between types of heads and the vendor line, mainly in the ball speed, spin and height/descent angle departments.
I disagree. If you take the competing clubs from major mfg's there is minimal if any difference when all things are equal. Insignificant. Especially when the lofts are the same and materials are as well. Imagine comparing a 7 iron with a 34 degree loft and one with a 28?

Even if you take an game improvement iron from 10yrs ago and compare it to today it's not that big of a difference.

i can definitely see where you're coming from here. if performance is materially the same between or among a given set of clubs, then for me personally i'm going with feel then looks. the only thing i'm going to disagree with here is in definitively saying that all brands "will" be similar. in my own testing during brand agnostic fittings, there's always one or more winners, and one or more losers (for me). it often comes down to launch and spin for me.
Agreed. Similar launch and similar spin within certain parameters then it's look and feel as the deciding factor.

I disagree. If you take the competing clubs from major mfg's there is minimal if any difference when all things are equal. Insignificant. Especially when the lofts are the same and materials are as well. Imagine comparing a 7 iron with a 34 degree loft and one with a 28?

Even if you take an game improvement iron from 10yrs ago and compare it to today it's not that big of a difference.

Really? Got numbers or is that your opinion? Curious on how you measure "minimal". I can tell you I've hit 3 different irons from 3 different manufacturers with all pretty much the same loft and came away with 3 different results.

lmao, okay.

Really? Got numbers or is that your opinion? Curious on how you measure "minimal". I can tell you I've hit 3 different irons from 3 different manufacturers with all pretty much the same loft and came away with 3 different results.
Actually, I'd leave it up the the professionals with professional gear to generate the values. Go to any testing site and compare the results they attain. Youtube has tons of em and I've watched them all. Go compare the newest irons from TM, Srixon, and Mizuno. The numbers are pretty much the same.

Also, I was golfing today at the local course, I was really hung over and barfed on the 3rd green.

I love my Callaway Apex Pro's!! Just don't like transformer weird looking irons unless it's the hot chick in the movies.
Lmao this didn’t age well.
BDD3BA23-CEFB-4CED-808F-BA466FBC5F90.jpeg

if you’re going to troll at least try and make it somewhat viable instead of just spammy.

FE1544A2-8226-4960-9B36-4872EF75FC02.jpeg
63BFB6FC-FE7F-486F-86AF-0B50356BB5A3.jpeg

Well, to be honest I did just buy them on Sunday so I do have to take that comment back. My bad.

What irons did the Apex Pros replace?

Has anyone compared them to the 2018 X forged? I play the 2018 x forged and absolutely love them. Maybe TXG will do a comparison video.

Has anyone compared them to the 2018 X forged? I play the 2018 x forged and absolutely love them. Maybe TXG will do a comparison video.

i hope to know more tomorrow, and i leave the real data to those who have spent time with them like @JB and @Canadan. just going off what i’ve seen so far, these don’t seem to share a ton in common with their predecessors. more tech and design features in these.

i hope to know more tomorrow, and i leave the real data to those who have spent time with them like @JB and @Canadan. just going off what i’ve seen so far, these don’t seem to share a ton in common with their predecessors. more tech and design features in these.
Did you ever confirm they'll be there for sure? I really hope they are. Really interested in what you think. I'm guessing the added launch and spin will be nice for you. But, I'm not sure they'll be able to keep up with the Mavrik Pro's in distance.

Did you ever confirm they'll be there for sure? I really hope they are. Really interested in what you think. I'm guessing the added launch and spin will be nice for you. But, I'm not sure they'll be able to keep up with the Mavrik Pro's in distance.

i didn’t really have a specific contact to ask. i’ll know tomorrow afternoon and will report back

i didn’t really have a specific contact to ask. i’ll know tomorrow afternoon and will report back

Looking forward to your thoughts.

The more is see them the more they are growing on me. I’ve really like the last 2 versions and look forward to seeing these and hitting them. The new px shafts are also very intriguing, @JB does your set have the IO’s in them?

The more is see them the more they are growing on me. I’ve really like the last 2 versions and look forward to seeing these and hitting them. The new px shafts are also very intriguing, @JB does your set have the IO’s in them?
the set at HQ definitely does.

I’d love to find a way to test them head to head out on the course. I’m a big fan of the ‘18 version. They really work well for me.

@Canadan talks about them in the video.

The MIM’d weight just makes them more industrial looking than I’m used to out of Callaway’s top end irons. I love love love visual tech stories, but the weights here definitely shocked me.

Will certainly try to find a place to hit them though, I’ve doubt I’ll enjoy them when standing over the ball.

i spent some time with the xfcb today. unfortunately the rep only had a stock 7i with px io stiff shaft, standard loft and lie. typical caveats apply, like it just rained heavily so turf interaction was affected, my swing was not very good, blah blah blah.

first, the look. i think these look really good in person. i know they’re atypical for this class, but they did it for me. at address, i agree with those who say the offset stands out. again, not what i expected in this class. the top line was ever so slightly smaller than my mav pro, but otherwise similar size and shape.

now feel. i liked the feel a lot of the middle. soft but powerful. instant feedback on misses. hard left bias for me.

now performance. very nice flight. about 800 rpm more spin than my mav pro (some of that is loft, some is design). about 12y shorter. unfortunately my swing was not great, so consistency wasn’t something i can comment on. i will say small misses lost a fair bit of distance for me relative to the mav pro.

overall they look and feel nice, but they’re not for me. if i’m being very honest, in thinking through callaway’s current line, i’m actually not sure who these are for.

Presales start tomorrow. Anyone else have a chance to hit these bad boys? Anyone planning on jumping on them right away?

Presales start tomorrow. Anyone else have a chance to hit these bad boys? Anyone planning on jumping on them right away?
I'm waiting until they go retail so I can bring the whole set outside to try. If I didn't have a lot of other new stuff to play with though, I'd be in on it blind. After more monitor time, I really do like it. My initial thoughts have held true, and like @McLovin said, I'm not entirely sure who they're for because they're not especially long. I think they seem good, but there are a bunch of clubs that are good that are longer with similar offset and topline and stuff. So.. ?? I like them, and I think they'll be popular, and you might really like them with your speed, but I feel like they'd sell more with such a modern look if it was more of a X Forged S or something. :confused2:Want to get whole set outside like, yesterday, to get the real skinny.

Last edited:
I'm waiting until they go retail so I can bring the whole set outside to try. If I didn't have a lot of other new stuff to play with though, I'd be in on it blind. After more monitor time, I really do like it. My initial thoughts have held true, and like @McLovin said, I'm not entirely sure who they're for because they're not especially long. I think they seem good, but there are a bunch of clubs that are good that are longer with similar offset and topline and stuff. So.. ?? I like them, and I think they'll be popular, and you might really like them with your speed, but I feel like they'd sell more with such a modern look if it was more of a X Forged S or something. :confused2:Want to get whole set outside like, yesterday, to get the real skinny.
Yeah, distance isn't the seller with these. Something like this is right in my wheelhouse. I don't need or want any extra yards. The idea of ultra consistent distances has me enticed. When I tried it, I was getting almost identical ball flight to the MB's I was putting it up against.

I won't be pre-ordering them. I want to spend some time over the offseason testing out some different shafts to see if I can find a good pairing. Then there's the whole how badly do I want to stay married angle, lol. Still trying to find a valid way to explain to her why I need to spend $1600 on irons. I'll figure something out.

Back