Callaway X Forged CB Irons Review

So...I got a delivery notification yesterday...should have a pretty little set of X Forged CBs when I get home tonight.

The more I look at these the more intriguing them become. Still just a bit to much iron for me I think, but want to hit them at some point.

The more I look at these the more intriguing them become. Still just a bit to much iron for me I think, but want to hit them at some point.

Very appealing irons. I even like the way they look. I've been pestering my local guy wanting to his these. Both the these and P7MC are AWOL so far for fitting kits here.

So...I got a delivery notification yesterday...should have a pretty little set of X Forged CBs when I get home tonight.
Very nice!!! Can't wait to read your thoughts.

Very appealing irons. I even like the way they look. I've been pestering my local guy wanting to his these. Both the these and P7MC are AWOL so far for fitting kits here.
Probably not a lot of choices for you to go hit them without driving a good bit.

How so 'too much'?

Probably not enough forgiveness and the fact that they are 4* weaker, but that is an easy fix to club up so not really an issue.

Probably not enough forgiveness and the fact that they are 4* weaker, but that is an easy fix to club up so not really an issue.
If you can repeatedly hit greens with hybrids and fairway woods like I saw you do, I have a feeling you're going to be hitting the center of the face more often than not with an iron in your hand.

They're more forgiving than I think you.. think. lol The sole and cavity probably wouldn't be ideal in the longer stuff for you, but you hybrid there anyway. I don't know how anything after your irons wouldn't feel like a step down in distance and forgiveness though. Those things are pretty special.

The more I hit them (which is turning out to be a lot for not buying them yet) makes me think @JB nailed it for you a few pages back, @radiman , that you're the market. I think it every time I hit them now and it feels more true each time.

Its kind of strange this is the 1st Callaway release in a long time I have no interest in, mostly I need more help loft wise but the looks are good to my eye.
Just no excitement or desire to seek them out.

They're more forgiving than I think you.. think. lol The sole and cavity probably wouldn't be ideal in the longer stuff for you, but you hybrid there anyway. I don't know how anything after your irons wouldn't feel like a step down in distance and forgiveness though. Those things are pretty special.

The more I hit them (which is turning out to be a lot for not buying them yet) makes me think @JB nailed it for you a few pages back, @radiman , that you're the market. I think it every time I hit them now and it feels more true each time.
Just have to club up one, I looked at the lofts already. It would make me concentrate a bit more to have better contact. I'm definitely gonna hit them.

So the good news is the new clubs have arrived...the bad news El Paso may have shut down golf again due to the dumb A$$3$ that can't stop contracting COVID. I have my fingers crossed that they will leave golf alone or the state will step in.
WIN_20201030_07_35_32_Pro.jpg

So the good news is the new clubs have arrived...the bad news El Paso may have shut down golf again due to the dumb A$$3$ that can't stop contracting COVID. I have my fingers crossed that they will leave golf alone or the state will step in.
View attachment 8971691
Boom! Great looking bag! Hoping you can get out and play soon.

View attachment 8971691
I'm really hoping those beauties not getting dirty is the saddest thing I see today. I'm about to head out, and I don't like to cry in public.

Looking tough!

Happened to be at a Golf Galaxy tonight picking up my new S62 watch and they had a 7i and 21 deg utility in the demo bay and I had to give them a few wacks. They definitely look better in person and feel damn good. Shaft choices weren't great for the demo club but was able to put some good swings on them. Definitely impressed. On an gc2 and stiff flex shaft and old maxfli balls, 7i carried 158 yards and spun at 6900.

Happened to be at a Golf Galaxy tonight picking up my new S62 watch and they had a 7i and 21 deg utility in the demo bay and I had to give them a few wacks. They definitely look better in person and feel damn good. Shaft choices weren't great for the demo club but was able to put some good swings on them. Definitely impressed. On an gc2 and stiff flex shaft and old maxfli balls, 7i carried 158 yards and spun at 6900.
What is your normal 7i carry

As much as these are not for me I really want to give them a go

What is your normal 7i carry

Normally 170ish with my 30 deg T200. Spin rate at around 6k. The xforged cb is 33 degrees. I am sure I could get the ball speed/distance up a bit with the right shaft.

Last edited:
Holy smokes Mitsubishi MMT's are a no upcharge graphite option. Was not expecting that.

Holy smokes Mitsubishi MMT's are a no upcharge graphite option. Was not expecting that.
yeah they have some awesome no upcharge options this release

:unsure:

Where to split? The new Apex MB 7i feels AMAZING. I'm tempted to go all the way to 5i on the MB based on feel alone. The X Forged CB is rock solid on spin numbers and flight window, as is the MB. CB feel is very good, but the MB is unspeakably good. The very last set of the day I hit the CB's with MMT 95S and dropped into a serious groove hitting tiny fades and draws on command, all within a few yards of intended target line. Really good.

I hit the Apex MB with face tape during the first 6 of 9 shots, affecting the launch parameters. It brought down ballspeed & spin, and raised launch. Then I took the tape off and hit three with normal bare face. The numbers below are an average of all nine. The three without face tape saw much more typical launch numbers on a stock draw of 118 BS - 19.2 Launch - 5700 Backspin - 167 carry - 48* Descent - 34 yds peak height.

The Apex MB had ProjectX LS 6.0 shaft and I also hit the CB with Project X IO 6.5.

IMG_8576.jpg

Well I'm just chasing @GraniteRoost around the forum as soon as I get home tonight I guess. lol

The writing has been on the wall for me with the X Forged since my first thoughts on hitting them. The offset bugs me. I don't have enough speed to burn to bend them weak. Love the feel, and the look, but they're going just bridge the gap to the Apex MB's in the bag for now. Think I'm going to order 4-6 so I have some options, but every time I hit them the seem like more of a compromised fit for me as a set.

Think I made some TM decisions for me too. I don't need P7MB's anymore.

Last edited:
So the courses did not close in El Paso, thankfully! I was able to get these new babies out for three-rounds, For some clarity - I have been playing the 18' X Forged since their release. I got these with the same shaft I have in my last set (NS Pro 950GH neo). I was last fit at a Callaway Performance Center in Phoenix (FEB 20).

First thing I noticed about the 21' X Forged is that the ball flight for me is much higher and I assume that is from the weighting system in them and the offset. I tend to have a slightly negative attack angle so any extra height is welcome and the reason I went blind on these. They are just as forgiving as the previous version. The sound is a crisp "thwack". The offset is noticeably more but it does not bother me in the slightest. It provides plenty of stopping power on the green. The weirdest thing I am noticing is that the 21' X Forged seem to be better balanced. I know they are the same swing weight (D2) but the new version seems more balanced. With the 18' they seemed heavy in the head.

I also got the 24* X Forged UT. I previously was playing the 18' X Forged UT. Again great performance from this club. It does have a more hollow sound at impact than the previous version. Again with this club it seems to be better balanced. I also have a much better ball flight with this model.

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't change my mind on the purchase. There is better ball flight for me with these and that is what I tend to look at when it comes to selecting clubs.

I hope this helps anyone sitting on the fence. By the way I shot a 74 on the first round with them.

62570972298__638EF9A5-9AB5-4A93-A6AC-84121687A4B4.JPGIMG_0898.JPGIMG_0901.JPG
X Forged 18' on the outside.

X Forged 21' on the inside.

X Forged 21' 7-iron on the left - X Forged 18' 7-iron on the right.

Back