Callaway X Utility Prototype Irons Preview

I wish you all knew me, but I attest, these prototype irons are the real deal. I am skeptical about buying clubs because of purchases in the past did not turn out what I expected, BUT the X Utility prototype irons are true weapons. Off the tee, in the rough AND around greens these clubs will not fail you, unless you need swing lessons. I purchased the 18 degree iron and off the tee "I" hit it the ball consistently 265 yards and out of the rough about 250 yards. The club is a little heavy, but its ok as long as I am hitting the ball consistently straight or maybe 10-15 yards off my target, I really can't complain. I would highly recommend these clubs especially if your tired of hitting traditional hybrids.

In the bag:

Driver ...............
nike.jpg
VRS Covert 10.5*
Fairway ............
callaway.jpg
Callaway Squareway 3 Wood
Hybrid 1 ...........
adams.jpg
Idea Boxer 3 Hybrid
Hybrid 2 ............
adams.jpg
Idea Boxer 4 Hybrid

Utility ................
callaway.jpg
X Utility Prototype 18*
Irons .................
ping.jpg
G15 Irons
Wedges ............
ping.jpg
G15 Wedges

Putter ..............
scotty.jpg
41" Spider Putter 2011
Ball ..................
titelist.jpg
Pro V1

Last edited:
Does this really matter? Serious question.

I could see this for you, with you being a C-Taper guy and all. I'd imagine the PXi doesn't suit swing to a T.

If I pick one up it'll probably get paired with a V2.

I just bought Jman's 21* XProto. I took the PXi out of it and put in a UST Mamiya V2 hybrid shaft. And I like it so much better.

I really need to hit one of these. My dad had an old driving iron that I used to bag before I got a hybrid and didnt mind it.

This is an intriguing club for sure

I wonder how the THP testing went on these:

I will have one of these come July.............

I wonder how the THP testing went on these:
I was hitting these on the range, and was absolutely loving them. Fun to hit, and love the way they set up.

For me, they are an interesting club, and am not sure where they would fit in the bag between long irons and hybrids. While I hit them well, and I was hitting consistently good shots, I find that a regular hybrid in these lofts are a bit easier to hit when it comes to turf interaction and results.

I was hitting these on the range, and was absolutely loving them. Fun to hit, and love the way they set up.

For me, they are an interesting club, and am not sure where they would fit in the bag between long irons and hybrids. While I hit them well, and I was hitting consistently good shots, I find that a regular hybrid in these lofts are a bit easier to hit when it comes to turf interaction and results.

I thought they were a lot of fun to hit as well buddy. For me, not nearly as "scary" as they apparently are for some, easy up and soft down.

Very interesting, I wonder how maybe it would do as say a 5 iron replacement in my bag, where I carry 3 & 5 woods and 3 & 4 hybrids?

War hit them significantly better than I did. Good looking club, but just not something that would fit into my bag.

I thought they were a lot of fun to hit as well buddy. For me, not nearly as "scary" as they apparently are for some, easy up and soft down.
I didnt find them scary at all. Distance was good, as was the ball flight.
Very interesting, I wonder how maybe it would do as say a 5 iron replacement in my bag, where I carry 3 & 5 woods and 3 & 4 hybrids?
Well, the length and gapping would be something to take in to consideration. I would think if you are carrying a 4 Hybrid, that would be a seemingly good transition to a 5i vs the transition of a 24* Utility Club to a 6i.

That makes a ton of sense, I used to have a hybrid iron type club when I first started playing golf, and thought these might fit into that category, I just haven't had the chance to hit them yet. Thanks for the update.

I'm hoping this club shows up at the outing. I'm really looking to replace my 4 iron with a utility like this...and keep it steel shafted to thr same shaft to match my iron setup.

Its a THP Outing. Of course it will be there. :D

i think i could see myself getting a 4 iron replacement if i went with the X forged irons just something with a little more confidence at address for me or something better out of the rough. i'd def want to match my iron shafts with the shaft for this though. i wasn't a fan of the PXi in it though.

That makes a ton of sense, I used to have a hybrid iron type club when I first started playing golf, and thought these might fit into that category, I just haven't had the chance to hit them yet. Thanks for the update.

That's kind of how I feel about them as well. If you had hybrids (say 2, 3) then have one of these as an easier to hit 4 iron and then and irons from say 5 down, it might be a nice setup. I was hoping the line was 5 iron loft, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If I were a better player, I'd probably have these in place of hybrids. They are one sweet looking club.

I'd kind of like to hit them one day.....

They look a little like the niblick from Cleveland. I know for me the niblicks are great on full shots. Do they have similar turf interaction as the niblicks? Great looking club. I didn't notice any at the demo day I was at last Saturday.

They look a little like the niblick from Cleveland. I know for me the niblicks are great on full shots. Do they have similar turf interaction as the niblicks? Great looking club. I didn't notice any at the demo day I was at last Saturday.

These are a long iron replacement, completely different concept than the niblick.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I really, really want to hit one of these! I can't find one anywhere around me right now. I think this would be exactly what I want/need to fill the last gap in my bag (based upon where I normally play and how I'd use a utility/hybrid) but I'm not in a position to shell out $200 and hope for the best at this time.

Anyone relatively close to RI have one in their bag?

I can't believe that I didn't hit these at the Callaway demo day! :banghead:

Well, since they are a hybrid club and long iron replacement vs a wedge replacement...no, not really.

Turf interaction is similar to a...long iron.

These are a long iron replacement, completely different concept than the niblick.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOT

Yes, I realize that. I saw one today at a golf galaxy and it doesn't really resemble a niblick as much as I thought. I did pick up the 18* (only loft they had in the store) and just took grip and let it sole itself and it lays out at a 45* angle and looks like some kind of crazy low lofted short iron. Not sure if anyone would want to open the blade up on this thing and hit a low lofted, hybrid flop but it looks like it can be done with this club.

Well, since they are a hybrid club and long iron replacement vs a wedge replacement...no, not really.

Turf interaction is similar to a...long iron.

I believe I have seen the niblick described as a wedge hybrid....hehe

Really wish I had gotten to give this club a shot during my testing/fitting, but I fell in love with the XHP 5 wood too quick to even try it. Had been looking forward to this for months too.

Posted via Tapatalk.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOT

Yes, I realize that. I saw one today at a golf galaxy and it doesn't really resemble a niblick as much as I thought. I did pick up the 18* (only loft they had in the store) and just took grip and let it sole itself and it lays out at a 45* angle and looks like some kind of crazy low lofted short iron. Not sure if anyone would want to open the blade up on this thing and hit a low lofted, hybrid flop but it looks like it can be done with this club.

Sorry dude, I still think this thing is as different from a Niblick as possible while still being a golf club.

Back