Callaway X Utility Prototype Irons Preview

I was a bit surprised at how much of a long iron they looked like especially the face, a very small face of course they do have that hunk of iron/metal low and back to help with forgiveness.

Sorry dude, I still think this thing is as different from a Niblick as possible while still being a golf club.[/QUOT

The sole with the meat of the club low and back, low profile face very similar in my opinion but that is where it ends.
To each his own.

Concept maybe, but more generally they are both made to hit golf balls.

Sorry dude, I still think this thing is as different from a Niblick as possible while still being a golf club.[/QUOT

The sole with the meat of the club low and back, low profile face very similar in my opinion but that is where it ends.
To each his own.

Concept maybe, but more generally they are both made to hit golf balls.

I see the resemblance based on the pictures. They seem long and low with a little something out back.

To me, they remind me of some old "driving irons." Those were incredibly hard clubs to hit. Maybe the hollow back (as opposed to the muscle backs) make them easier.

I do love the way they look. They're not for my handicap though. If I played to a <10, I'd be all over these.

Bump for Nate.

Let's talk some long iron replacement buddy!

Bump for Nate.

Let's talk some long iron replacement buddy!

That's where I think this best fits... replacing the 3i with something that has a bit more heft behind it. Still really want to get my paws on one!

I went to a Callaway demo day when I went to play with SeeMoreGuy, cpljohnst, and lmaz. I was very excited to test this club and I'm not going to lie, I was a little disappointed. The look at address was pretty ugly to me. But I've enjoyed plenty of ugly clubs in my past.

The one thing that stood out to me about this club was the feel. Even when I hit this club really well, the feel was just awful. I have no idea what it was about it, everything just felt like the ball was stuck on the face.

I much preferred the X-Hot Hybrid and would take that if I was on Team Callaway.

Sorry Ryan, didn't see the bump back in April! Ha! Like JT, I hit a Callaway demo day this weekend as I really wanted to narrow down my hybrid thoughts. I was hitting the 21 degree and off the tee it goes straighter than any iron I've ever hit! Just for this reason I was ready to pull the trigger on this iron. However, it was a bit lower for me off the ground than I liked. I had this issue with the RBZ hybrid type 4/5 irons as well when I tested them. Still, it was something I think I could live with because if I moved to the 24 degree, I think that would help fix that issue for me. I know it's the same loft as the forged 4 iron but I would bet that 24 degree utility goes 10-15 yards further for sure. Anyways, like I said, I was sold till I went and grabbed the XHot Pro 20 degree hybrid. I couldn't miss. That was the only thing that knocked me out of the X utility tree. It was like having the best cake you've ever had in your life then getting a bite of the best pie you've ever had. Good problem to have! I'm still in love with these irons and have a feeling one day that I will get one of these for my bag. Roger Cleveland.........thank you for this club!

Lol, glad you are digging it, Nate.

Freddie and I fought like to old women over these two at demo day, so we came to an agreement. He got to check out the 21* and I took the 24*. The 24* is a 5i replacement for me, and I could easily drop a long iron for this club. Absolutely love it. Had a smooth shot out of a fairway bunker with it over the weekend that had me thinking hard and long about getting one.

Not sure how I forgot to try these out this weekend.

OMG is this an awesome club.

I've been pondering a driving iron type club to replace my 4-iron all year long. Actually tried one of these out in Golfsmith earlier in the spring and didn't really like it that much, kind of harsh feeling. I've also been looking at the Adams DHy, but again no feel compared to my CMB 4-iron. A few weeks ago I was in GS again trying out the Mizuno HP4 and DHy when a friend and former coach I hadn't seen in a long time saw me swinging. He stated that he loved the X Utility but only after he replaced the Pxi 6.0 shaft with a 5.5. He had it in the car and was kind enough to let me swing it. BINGO!! Unfortunately, Callaway only sells the X utility in the 6.0 but I went online and now they are also offering it with the KBS Tour stiff - perfect. So I had Pro Shop credit from our Men's Club season and promptly had them order the 21° but they said it might take a while. No worries at this time of year.

So Wednesday afternoon I got off work early and decided to play 9 that afternoon. Met up with a buddy of mine and low and behold my X Utility was in - Happy Thanksgiving! I hit it 3 times on the range and it felt really good, no adjustment needed.

Got a chance to use it first on the par 5 #3 hole. Had a layup that could put my TM 18° hybo in a bunker so I hit the X Utility and it was a perfect little fade about 225-230 exactly where I aimed it. My buddy noted how great the trajectory was.
I got to use it one more time during the round on the par 4 8th hole. I popped up a 3-wood off the tee (no idea what that was all about) which left me about 300 to the hole with a dogleg right fairway flanked by ponds on both sides so I took the X Utility across the edge of the corner and hit the same perfect 225 or so fade to the middle of the FW. (chipped in for par after missing the green left with my wedge ) After the round my friend noted that I hit that club so good from the fairway that "you should use it off of every tee possible and only use your driver a few times and you'll lower your scores." And I LOVE my driver!

From the small amount of time I've had with this club these are the things I've taken away:
1. Even though the club face is smaller, the balance, head feel and look at address inspires confidence.
2. Once you've hit it a few times, all you see at address is the club face and not the big bulge behind it.
3. The soft forged feel of this club is light years ahead of any hybo I have put into play and actually feels better than my CMB 4-iron, which I've always liked a lot.
4. It has exactly what I was looking for in a 3/4-iron replacement - easy to hit off the turf with a beautiful mid-high boring trajectory.
5. Can't say enough about the feedback and feel of this forged club.

I'm playing again today and will report back on how it feels off the tee and performs out of the rough.

Little bump of an old thread. Pondering picking one of these up to mess around with. Anybody still game one?

Buy one NOW!

Buy one NOW!

I actually just did. I am really hoping this will help me tame my very narrow home course and play some smarter golf.

I actually just did. I am really hoping this will help me tame my very narrow home course and play some smarter golf.

Which loft did you get?
I toyed with the idea of getting one, but didn't.

Which loft did you get?
I toyed with the idea of getting one, but didn't.

Picked up the 24*. Should fit perfectly between my hybrids and 6 iron.

Picked up the 24*. Should fit perfectly between my hybrids and 6 iron.

I was considering the 21* as a tool to use from the tee and maybe some running chips. Do you think those clubs would be good for chip/putt type shots around the green?
On the course I play that is the best options sometimes and in the winter especially.

I was considering the 21* as a tool to use from the tee and maybe some running chips. Do you think those clubs would be good for chip/putt type shots around the green?
On the course I play that is the best options sometimes and in the winter especially.

I hope so. I will likely not get to put it in play until April however.

I have the 21° and have just started using it for around the greens and like it a lot. It's much easier for me to get setup and more comfortable for that type of shot than the hybrid.

And it's great off the tee on shorter and/or narrow holes. I call it my secret weapon. I had a big gap between my 4-iron and 18° hybrid and put in the X Utility for the 4. I can choke down on it and use it for those normal 4-iron shots but then can hit it farther from the fairway or tee and bridge that gap perfectly. And it's so much easier to hit from the rough than the 4-iron was (and I really liked my 4)

For anyone who has played these - is this club appropriate for a 20 handicapper? I am very close to scoring in the high 80's, and practice a few times a week. Thinking about a more precise alternative to my 4 hybrid. Is this too much club for me?

For anyone who has played these - is this club appropriate for a 20 handicapper? I am very close to scoring in the high 80's, and practice a few times a week. Thinking about a more precise alternative to my 4 hybrid. Is this too much club for me?

I played one for part of a season, and honestly, I know some of the lower cappers will undoubtedly argue with me here but it is a much more demanding club than a traditional hybrid. Yeah, easier IMO than a standard 4i, but still more demanding than a hybrid. Only way to know for sure is to give it a run if you can, but for me, as fun as it was, it just wasn't worth ditching a hybrid over.

I have a 24* that I use on occasion. I just don't see any benefit over a hybrid. It is a fun club to mess around with however.

I became a full time convert of the driving iron recently, using a 25-year old 1-iron to good effect. Went out to Golf Galaxy and put it up against some newer driving irons. Walked out with the Callaway X Utility prototype 18° with a Project X 6.0 shaft. Just as straight and 30 yards longer carry than the 1 iron. Average carry was 220 compared to 190 for the 1 iron and I was hitting both solid. And I expect the distance to be a little more when I put my gamer balls into use with this.

I tee the ball up about an inch and hit it on the upswing like a driver.

Also the wider sole on the bottom will be more forgiving for punch shots, which I like to employ often in trouble or windy conditions.

This makes me very happy. I'll break out my driver on the longest holes assuming there's room for error, but this will be my first choice for the tee box on all par 4 and 5 holes otherwise.

Back