Callaway X Utility Prototype Irons Preview

So have we confirmed that Callaway won't bend the lie angle on these or that it's just not possible without damaging the club?

I should have taken you up on that deal when you offered on the range.....there were 3 holes I would have used that club going into the wind off the tee. These XHOT hybrids better be something special cause if not I know what my decision is going to be. They were just really easy to hit and felt like I had a lot of control with the face.

I really REALLY wanted you to after seeing you hit it!

I'll def take a few swings on the range. I really like these.

It might need a new home...I adore my S hybo's just more than I do this. :alien:

I really REALLY wanted you to after seeing you hit it!

It might need a new home...I adore my S hybo's just more than I do this. :alien:

Keep me posted if it needs a new home...still in the market for one here in RI... :call-me:

So have we confirmed that Callaway won't bend the lie angle on these or that it's just not possible without damaging the club?

Bump for any answers

According to Callaway Customer service, they won't touch the lie angle.

Colt...I think the only way to find out is to send a tweet to Harry&Chad and they can tell you 100% if it's possible or not.
I think they'd be obligated to only give me the answer that Callaway pays them to give. No offense to them. Great guys. Just don't think they'll go behind their employers back and give another answer.
According to Callaway Customer service, they won't touch the lie angle.

Right. I just don't know if it's a Callaway thing or if it's a "not possible" thing.

Right. I just don't know if it's a Callaway thing or if it's a "not possible" thing.

I called Cool Clubs, who I think is one of the most reputable custom club builders and they would not touch it either. I am sure you can find someone willing to do it, but when the best don't seem to want to try, I tend to go with the experts.

I think they'd be obligated to only give me the answer that Callaway pays them to give. No offense to them. Great guys. Just don't think they'll go behind their employers back and give another answer.

I'm thinking if they won't do it there's a good reason why. Otherwise they would sell more clubs because people would buy more if it fit exactly what they wanted.

I'm thinking if they won't do it there's a good reason why. Otherwise they would sell more clubs because people would buy more if it fit exactly what they wanted.
Think I agree with this statement.

Well, i guess I'm out then. Not gonna buy a club that I dig the toe into the ground with. This is disappointing.

So I bought the 18 from an ebay dealer with the stock steel stiff shaft, planning to have it reshafted with a graphite regular flex. Having quite a bit of trouble finding out what tip size I should be looking for in an aftermarket shaft. Has anyone had one of these reshafted with an aftermarket shaft? Any suggestions? I use fujikura shafts in my irons and like their performance. Thanks in advance.

I bent mine 3 degrees flat, there were no issues with it.

Don't know why but my mind wandered to thinking about one of these last night. Anyone have any updated thoughts on these? I'm thinking I need to find one to hit. Could be a killer off the tee, but would have to work for me off the deck as well.

Don't know why but my mind wandered to thinking about one of these last night. Anyone have any updated thoughts on these? I'm thinking I need to find one to hit. Could be a killer off the tee, but would have to work for me off the deck as well.
I was killing it on the range a few weeks ago when a few of us got together before the THP Texas Invite. Jman had one and I only used it with a tee. I hit about 5-7 balls and I loved the feel of the iron/hybrid mix. The one thing I did not do was hit it off the ground. The range was not very good regarding the winter grass so avoided that for now. I am REALLY interested in this club and want to do a few more things with it before I'm sold.

I was killing it on the range a few weeks ago when a few of us got together before the THP Texas Invite. Jman had one and I only used it with a tee. I hit about 5-7 balls and I loved the feel of the iron/hybrid mix. The one thing I did not do was hit it off the ground. The range was not very good regarding the winter grass so avoided that for now. I am REALLY interested in this club and want to do a few more things with it before I'm sold.

I hear you. With money tightening up a little this time of year (thanks Mr. Tax man!), I'm tentative to make any big purchases without being sure. I'd love to demo one of these things for a round or two.

Jman, if you're listening/watching, how did the 21˚ do bridging the gap to your 5I? Was it easy to choke up on and still make good contact?

I picked one of these up about a week back and it is fast becoming my favourite club. It replaced the 23* hybrid I had previously. Doesn't go as far but the dispersion is better and it's a bit more versatile (e.g. when punching out from under trees!). It has a great sound of the face - for some reason at impact it feels like there's a lot of mass plowing through the ball. I went with a custom Fubuki shaft, which is lighter than the stock - so the flight is a bit higher. I also had these bent 3 degrees flat - Callaway Australia made the adjustments. Some picks attached if you're interested.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
Sweet frikkin' club, dude. Now that I know these can be bent they are once again on my ponder list.

They just look so damn mean!

So for those that have these, what spot are these filling in your bag? Replacing a 3-iron?

Bending this club will shift the screw hole and the badging borders.

Oh and by the way, Bridgestone Golf rules!

I picked one of these up about a week back and it is fast becoming my favourite club. It replaced the 23* hybrid I had previously. Doesn't go as far but the dispersion is better and it's a bit more versatile (e.g. when punching out from under trees!). It has a great sound of the face - for some reason at impact it feels like there's a lot of mass plowing through the ball. I went with a custom Fubuki shaft, which is lighter than the stock - so the flight is a bit higher. I also had these bent 3 degrees flat - Callaway Australia made the adjustments. Some picks attached if you're interested.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Looks like an amazing combo!!!

For those that have hit this club, did you like the graphite or steel? How close does it play to an iron or hybrid?

For those that have hit this club, did you like the graphite or steel? How close does it play to an iron or hybrid?

I play mine just like an iron Freddie.

The steel is the PXi, not big on that particular shaft, but I do thing steel in the club is a great fit.

Bending this club will shift the screw hole and the badging borders.

Oh and by the way, Bridgestone Golf rules!

Does this really matter? Serious question.

I play mine just like an iron Freddie.

The steel is the PXi, not big on that particular shaft, but I do thing steel in the club is a great fit.

I could see this for you, with you being a C-Taper guy and all. I'd imagine the PXi doesn't suit swing to a T.

If I pick one up it'll probably get paired with a V2.

Colt, I wouldn't pay any attention to those claiming that a lie adjustment is detrimental to performance, because it isn't. I had mine done by Callaway and the club works just fine.

Back