Callaway X2 Hot Hybrid Preview

I play the RazrX hybrids (non pro) and absolutely love them. I have zero reason to change them out but they are the oldest stuff in my bag and I occasionally get twitchy about going with something newer. These are on my radar. Please share what you see, I'll be following along.

I'll keep you posted. I'll probably go hit some this week. It's really going to take a lot to sway me from the Razr X's, such a great club that flew under the radar.

Everytime I get out to use these, I am amazed at them. Just so easy to hit well. Good spacing between the lofts and blend in well with my Apex irons irregardless to where I start with them. Such a major step up from the XHots.

Couldn't agree more. My X2Hot pros saved me this weekend & I hit a few on the screws that just went straight & long.
Easy to hit & distance is great. Can't see moving on from these for a while.

Have any of you compared these to the 588 hybrids?

I have, and they are pretty similar. The x2-hot is a little longer for me but the lofts are also a little stronger as well. I only hit the x2-hot "pro" in 18* and it could be a real weapon from the way it performed for me, I will say the smaller footprint of the pro is not as forgiving as either the x2-hot or the 588. I would say that overall the 588 was more accurate than either of the x2-hot models. The tour blue and tour green shafts in the x2-hot hybrids are both really good shafts and for me I think one of these shafts in the 588 might be the best combination. I am still trying to decide between the 588, x2-hot and ping G30 hybrids as all are very good hybrids for me. The Ping G25 is also a very good hybrid.

I think next season I am going to add the 25 degree.

If I can't find a FW I can hit consistently I'm bagging a 18* or 16* pro and be done with it. These are too solid to ignore the help they can offer at the top of my bag.

I did that post MC, and I have not been sorry in the least. So much easier to hit than a 5-iron, and stops just as quick for me.

I have been reading all about hybrids today and the thought of a 16 and 20 sounds like it could be fun. I'm just nervous about them holding a green.

He Scrap if you are looking for a 16 I have one I could send your way if you were interested.

Pretty thoroughly.

I'd take this one any day of the week. Higher flying in the lower lofts, sounds better, a little longer to me. Still easy to hit. I get a good amount of leftward movement on both of them, but the X2 is at least a little more controllable for me - barring the times when we just don't get along.

The 588 proved to be a consistently way left misser as a 5h and way too low flying as a 3h.

Definitely on the lookout for a smoking deal on a X2Hot 3H. Wanting to move away from the 16* and 4H as they are overlapping for me distance wise with other clubs.

Loved my Mashies, so much in fact that I bought new ones and then got rid of them (one without even hitting it) because the X2Hots came to me.

Definitely on the lookout for a smoking deal on a X2Hot 3H. Wanting to move away from the 16* and 4H as they are overlapping for me distance wise with other clubs.

Loved my Mashies, so much in fact that I bought new ones and then got rid of them (one without even hitting it) because the X2Hots came to me.

I still bag the Mashie hybrids and love them. I do like the 588 and x2-hot hybrids as well, I just haven't convinced myself I'm getting much more out of them than the mashies.

I may have one on the market soon. It's holding a spot in my bag that will be overtaken by a V-Series Heavenwood once I put some scratch together.

I may have one on the market soon. It's holding a spot in my bag that will be overtaken by a V-Series Heavenwood once I put some scratch together.

Do you have the pro or regular hybrid? If it's a pro let's talk when you are ready

It's a regular, sorry. I may have to move them over to a pro. When my swing is solid with the rest of my bag, they start to get a bit too much of a right to left shape.

For me, these hybrids have been huge game changers. I don't see the need to remove the 18 and 23 pros or the 4w out of my bag any time soon. I've had a lot of success with them.

For me, these hybrids have been huge game changers. I don't see the need to remove the 18 and 23 pros or the 4w out of my bag any time soon. I've had a lot of success with them.

Agreed Brad. With the 815 line coming out and the Big Bertha hybrids already out, these can be had for silly prices because they are worth more (to me) than what we pay. Best hybrid I have ever hit and it is a slot in the bag that won't be up for challenge soon.

There's a reason that, when I had to sell some clubs for cash, these (along with the 5deep) did not go anywhere.

I've been a longtime fan of the driving iron style hybrid but keep trying new hybrids to give them a chance. I've had the 18* X2 Hot Pro now for a few weeks and although it is very long, maybe 15 yards longer than my old Titleist 19* 503h, I'm switching back to the Titleist. I'm just not as straight with the Callaway and can't control the trajectory as well. I have an Adams pro hybrid that plays almost exactly like the X2 Hot and that one didn't stay in my bag long for the same reasons. I honestly only use a hybrid on par 3's over 205 yards or occasionally as an approach on a short par 5. The need on par 5's is not very great because I usually play courses at 6600-6800 yards which doesn't leave many short par 5's that I can reach in two. I may try the Callaway Apex utility iron next just because I feel like there should be something that is better than my 7 year old Titleist.

The hybrids are so good, and the stock blue shaft performs so well for me, that it makes me ponder the X2Hot 3 Wood that I didn't spend a huge amount of time with. Don't know that I will scratch that itch because Bertha works pretty darn well also, but it's one of the very few ponders in my bag.

It's a regular, sorry. I may have to move them over to a pro. When my swing is solid with the rest of my bag, they start to get a bit too much of a right to left shape.

I had the same issue - I was ready to give up on them. But I asked the golf pro at the range one day if he had any advice. He told me to move it up a ball or so in my stance. I did that and it was a night and day difference! And off the tee I tee it up a bit higher than I usually do with a hybrid, and I often hit this within 15 yards of my driver. When I get quick, or have it a bit too far back in my stance, it still wants to go left. There is no question to me that this was made for that ball flight. The only remaining issue I have with this club is height - or lack thereof. I bought the 3 in stiff flex, and since then my SS had dropped because of some nagging injuries. I tend to hit this a bit low, so some of the lower ball flight is because of that, and some is because even with hybrids, I tend to have them de-lofted at impact more than most.

He Scrap if you are looking for a 16 I have one I could send your way if you were interested.

Appreciate the offer. I need to go and hit them first. I will keep you posted after this weekend.

Curious...16 degree hybrid seems intimidating. Was it hard to hit? Why did you give up on it?

Curious...16 degree hybrid seems intimidating. Was it hard to hit? Why did you give up on it?

I bought it used off of mikeg_74, the 16* and the 4 hybrid. Its not so much that it is hard to hit, but I really seem to prefer the regular X2Hot headshape. The larger head gives me a lot of confidence when it is time to make a swing.

Willing to move on from it/them, but mainly due to gapping. The 16* I just never found a situation where it suited me better than my 4wood, or for that matter the 4 Altitude or the 4 hybrid. Looking for a 3H in the X2Hot just so there is a better gap between it and my 4i Altitude.

No huge reason that I am moving on from the 16*, other than the different headshape puts me a bit more at ease.

I bought it used off of mikeg_74, the 16* and the 4 hybrid. Its not so much that it is hard to hit, but I really seem to prefer the regular X2Hot headshape. The larger head gives me a lot of confidence when it is time to make a swing.

Willing to move on from it/them, but mainly due to gapping. The 16* I just never found a situation where it suited me better than my 4wood, or for that matter the 4 Altitude or the 4 hybrid. Looking for a 3H in the X2Hot just so there is a better gap between it and my 4i Altitude.

No huge reason that I am moving on from the 16*, other than the different headshape puts me a bit more at ease.

10-4. I have always been skeptical of the 16 degree hybrid. Afraid it would be hard to hit and defeat the purpose of a hybrid.

Glad to hear that is not the case.

Its one of those things where I didn't think I could hit one either. That definitely wasn't the case. The issue more and more was becoming "in what situation would I use this that I wouldn't hit another club". Sadly in most cases I would pull another club. I really just wouldn't be at a yardage often enough that the 16* would be a benefit to me. I would either be hitting a wood instead, or laying up.

Back