Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
Just received word that Callaway has sent out the XHot Hybrids to those selected to take part in the Forum Testing here on THP. With the testers receiving their clubs soon, this thread will be for them to post their long term reviews, thoughts, results and experiences. Feel free to join in on the conversation on the latest Hybrid offering from Callaway Golf!

Last edited by a moderator:

SharkHat

Aquatic Headwear Fanatic
Reaction score
Handicap
My swing
I was thrilled to find a box on my porch yesterday for my birthday. Due to having my son and dinner plans, I didn't get a chance to do much more than rip open the box yesterday.

Inside I found a 19° XHOT 3 Hybrid standard with Regular Flex shaft. Here are some pictures and my initial thoughts.

Spoiler

I've handled the XHOT hybrids in the store before, but was excited to get this club in hand for real. There are a few things that I like right from the start. These hybrids set up at address with a fair bit of forward shaft lean (offset perhaps), which falls perfectly in line with where I'm at in my lessons. This inspires quite a bit of confidence for me, as I currently struggle to keep my slice under control. I would say that these set up like an iron, but feel and look like a small fairway wood. The stock Callaway grip is the same as the Razr X Black fairway woods, and has a nice feel to it, with a hex pattern for texture and strong lines for grip alignment.

In the appearance department, the XHOT is in no way lacking. The sole plate is a mix of shiny and matte surfaces, with a combination of black, white, red, and steel gray. It all works very well in concert. The steel gray crown is simple and understated, and blends well with the pearl white shaft and gray shaft graphics. This is head to toe a good looking club. The only negative I can find so far is the lack of an alignment mark on the crown.

Spoiler

The headcover that comes with the XHOT hybrid is a simple sock type, with embroidered XHOT logo. It comes with two interchangeable club tags, which give the options of 2-7, 16/18/20/23/X/XX.

Spoiler

It appears I'm not the only XHOT fan in my household. This club is exactly one (1) Jonah tall.

I can't wait to get to the range tomorrow to put some real swings on this club.

Darren K.

Pittsburgh Panther
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 14.3
Great start Shark! Can't wait to see mine! I wonder if we all got the same loft?

Hawk

Master Painter
Reaction score
Sharp looking club Shark. Good luck with it!

Tadashi70

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Enjoy the club Shark, I took my 16* for a ride today and saw exactly what I was looking for. I'll share once all the testers have had a chance to post

GregDan

#DreamTeam
Reaction score
Handicap
Looking good so far shark. Great initial thoughts and I hope the clubs works well for you.

LargePhil

Tiny Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.6
Mine was waiting for me this morning before I left for Monroe. I will have a full write up tomorrow.

T0AD

2020 ups to 2021 downs
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Mine was waiting for me this morning before I left for Monroe. I will have a full write up tomorrow.
Let me start your review for ya, since I got a few in with it....

This thing is for real!

Pkielwa

Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing some results as I really liked this at a demo day two weeks ago. High and straight!

slodsm

Hybrid hooker
Reaction score
Handicap
Let me start your review for ya, since I got a few in with it....

This thing is for real!
I agree. I've only taken a few swings with my 19* but it's a monster.

Taptaptaparoo

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
This is one area that Callaway is under rated. I think some people are going to be very surprised with Callaway hybrids.

Buckjob

My Friend's Call Me Drew
Reaction score
Handicap
Nice pics shark looking forward to your review. I'm not sure if I'm going fairway woods or hybo at the top of my bag. They both sound great but I think the hybo might be more versatile.

LargePhil

Tiny Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.6
#bringit arrived today

#bringit arrived today

I got home late Friday night and did not check the delivery bin we have for FedEx and UPS. I had to got up early to head to Monroe, for the impromptu THP outing. I saw the flag up, opened the bin and what did I find, a box from Callaway. I didn't have time to take pictures before I headed to Monroe, so I took it out of the box, put it in my bag. I spent about 20 minutes messing with the box, so I only got a few putts in before the round. I was waiting for a chance to hit the XHot, but I did not get a chance until the 4th hole. I had not touched it so, I took a big whiff and hit it about 30 yds.

That was the last bad swing I put on it. I hit it solid the next several times I hit it. Three times in the first 18. Straight with a penetrating flight. I had to concentrate on swinging smooth and accelerating through the ball. This is now the lightest club in my bag. The new Project X shaft is very light, compared to the shafts I am playing in everything else (65grams). I am not displeased with it, I just have to get used to it. It definitely does not hurt the solid feel that I get from this club. There is a distinct difference from my Altitudes. This club has a lower flight. I will have to get to a LM, but, I suspect a significant differences in launch and spin.

I purposely tried to hit the XHot more during the extra nine we played in Monroe. From the tee, too the greens I struck the ball pretty well yesterday so I felt like I could go ahead and try to work the XHot. I hit it off the tee, straight down the middle right on 180. I aimed at the 150 stake and was about 5' from it. I hit it on a 160 yd. par 3 and tried to hit a 3/4 swing high cut and it did exactly what I envisioned. I was just off the front of the green, but, pretty impressive that it was that easy to execute. The rest of the shots were just straight at my target.

Once the round was done we went to the range, for everyone else to hit my other clubs and for me to get more familiar with the XHot. I hit it solidly on the range. Tried to hit draws and cuts and straight and it responded well to good swings. I will spend the next couple of weeks getting 'friendly' with the XHot. Once Toad got a chance to hit the XHot, I didn't get it back until we left the range. I think he liked it.

This has been a bit disjointed, but, that is how the day started. I usually have a plan when I test a club, and that will be the case as the testing goes on. I plan on doing direct comparison with my existing clubs over the next several weeks. I will do distance, ball flight, launch and spin comparisons. I plan on going to PGASuperstore, where I bought bay time to do these comparisons. I also will use my laser range finder to compare distance at the range. I am really excited now that the XHot is here.

I took pictures after the round and will post them in their own post. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

T0AD

2020 ups to 2021 downs
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Phil, I felt bad I bogarted your club for a bit, but it's just so easy to hit. My V4 might be getting the boot.

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
Got a UPS delivery alert, should have my Xhot hybrid tomorrow!

LargePhil

Tiny Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.6
Phil, I felt bad I bogarted your club for a bit, but it's just so easy to hit. My V4 might be getting the boot.
I was enjoying watching you hit it. Glad other THP'rs got a chance to hit it.

JConn

Proud 2013 MC Participant
Reaction score
Handicap
Good initial write ups shark and Phil, and great pics shark. I hate walking straight on to the tee without hitting the range first, it can make for a long day. Hopefully you guys get some good time with them soon. I look forward to your thoughts!

LargePhil

Tiny Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.6
Pictures after Monroe

Pictures after Monroe

A very pretty club:

The face:

The shaft:

The hosel:

The headcover:

The Sole:

A view from my perspective:

HandyManny

This Is Paradise
Reaction score
A very pretty club:

The face:

The shaft:

The hosel:

The headcover:

The Sole:

A view from my perspective:

I'm loving the photos Phil. I'm freaking jealous that mines hasn't got to me yet:/

HandyManny

This Is Paradise
Reaction score
Your first initial write up on the club was great Phil:) at anytime did you try and get as much yardage as you could from it?

LargePhil

Tiny Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.6
Your first initial write up on the club was great Phil:) at anytime did you try and get as much yardage as you could from it?
I did on the range. I didn't have the range finder out, so I was estimating about 190-195 yds. Short of the 225 stake, but, solid for my swing speed.

HandyManny

This Is Paradise
Reaction score
I did on the range. I didn't have the range finder out, so I was estimating about 190-195 yds. Short of the 225 stake, but, solid for my swing speed.
That's pretty solid bud. I know you'll get more out of it with more time with it. It seems to be giving you what you want out of it.

JConn

Proud 2013 MC Participant
Reaction score
Handicap
That's not bad at all Phil, definitely solid. Keep up the good work.

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Some truly amazing details, even the headcover is classic and nice!

beardog

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm most interested to see how they compare to the Razr X Hybrids. I currently game the 3 & 4.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in