Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

Interesting.. Could this be opening the door to an acquisition of a 5h to replace a current iron?

Looks like it needs to be opening that door!!

Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

Interesting.. Could this be opening the door to an acquisition of a 5h to replace a current iron?

Most OEM's dont make a 5 hybrid in LH.

It appears as if the XHot is available in a 5 HY in LH. Hmmm

Definitely. Initially I thought it would be a problem. But for whatever reason I hit it much better. I'm not sure what it was about the IDEA, but I was always afraid to hit down on the ball and I would top it a lot.

I've had the exact same thing happen with Adams hybrids out on the course. They're seemingly great off of mats and on the sims, but then I end up topping on the course. That is worthless and incredibly frustrating.

For whatever reason, I tend to do better with hybrids (and fairways) with Ginty styled/beveled soles. That forces me to hit down on the ball, which obviously produces far better results. Give me a hybrid with a flat bottom, and I'm going to show you some tops.

Reference Links: Initial Thoughts

First Range Session:

IMG_1691_zpsc03ee093.jpg

Conditions: 40 degrees and windy. Hitting of driving range mats. Not exactly what I would call ideal conditions. Unfortunately, there are no grass ranges around here so I will only get true feedback when I get on a course which will happen frequently over the next few weeks.

Baseline: In order to get a baseline for data from the XHot, I brought my Razr X HL 3 Hybrid with me. I hit the first 50 balls with this club. I brought a little notebook with me and tried to write down some yardages based on the markers at the range. On the 50 balls that I hit, the average distance was 150 + roll. I saw the usually mid-high ball flight that I am used to seeing. Truth be told, I expected it to be worse simply because I was hitting off the mat, the cold, and the range balls. I was still hitting the ball pretty solid and making good contact on the face of the club. It was a good warmup for hitting the XHot.

XHot: After I was warmed up and got my baseline data, I went to work with the XHot. Like I said in my initial thoughts, I hit it some on launch monitors but its always nice to see the ball flight out on the range in the air or on the course. Very first shot I hit was off the toe of the club and it went 160 with a higher ball flight. I proceeded to hit another 49 shots with it and I came away very impressed. The ball definitely gets up in the air quickly and provides the ball flight I definitely desire. While adding a higher ball flight, I definitely also saw an increase in distance as well. The average distance over 50 balls was 175+ roll out. Towards the end I decided to really get after one and hit it 200 with a nice baby fade. I am not used to hitting a draw but I saw a nice baby draw on a majority of my shots with this. It will take some getting used to but I really like it so far. I brought a little notebook with me and tried to draw a little diagram to show the type of ball flight difference I was seeing between the 2 clubs. I mocked it up in Photoshop when I got home. Here is the diagram:
Spoiler
Untitled-1_zps0160bf9c.jpg

As you can see in the diagram, they both start off with a nice penetrating ball flight but the XHot reaches a higher apex and then proceeds forward and down. One thing I do want to make sure I am clear about is that I did not see any ballooning but rather it is the perfect ball flight I am looking for from a Hybrid. I have always struggled with long irons so this is almost essential to my game.

Reactions and miscellaneous: After my first range session, I can honestly say I am impressed with this club. I had some reservations going into this about the offset of the club, the size of the head, as well as the forgiveness of the club. The very first ball I hit was the toe shot I described earlier and that pretty much eased my fears. The offset does not affect me at all and actually helps me with my alignment. I use it as a guide to make sure I am square. Like I have said before, pictures don't really do it justice. You need to hold this club at address and see for yourself. To me, it really is a non-issue. And that is saying alot coming from someone that was a hook machine with the Mashie because of the offset. Hoping to get another range session in tomorrow or Friday and at least 9 holes in over the weekend.

Dev, excellent write up. Talking to you last night about your range session, I could tell you were more than impressed with this hybrid. Seems you had some misses laterally across the face of the hybrid, how was the forgiveness on those shots?

Also, excellent diagram.

2 hundy in 40* weather and wind, sounds like a winner ricky! 5H time!

War Eagle said:
Dev, excellent write up. Talking to you last night about your range session, I could tell you were more than impressed with this hybrid. Seems you had some misses laterally across the face of the hybrid, how was the forgiveness on those shots?

Also, excellent diagram.

The first shot I hit with it was a off the toe of the club and it still went further with a higher trajectory than the Razr X HL. I knew I didnt hit is solid but when I looked and saw the ball just keep going I was a bit in shock. As far as mishits, as you can see, there were quite a few and still saw nice distance out of them. Hitting off mats is always a struggle for me but I can say that I didnt hit a single "bad" shot. Yeah, some went left and some went right but thats just swing flaws. As far as contact goes, I made what felt like solid contact with every ball regardless of where on the face the ball was struck. With a such a small-ish head on the club that was very surprising.

2 hundy in 40* weather and wind, sounds like a winner ricky! 5H time!

Haha. I nearly swung out of my shoes.. haha I might have to go 4H and 5H.

Haha. I nearly swung out of my shoes.. haha I might have to go 4H and 5H.

Definitely 5H for sure. If you 5i flies 165-170 and you're poking the xhot out there 190-200, we have a dilemma.

Definitely 5H for sure. If you 5i flies 165-170 and you're poking the xhot out there 190-200, we have a dilemma.

I'm in a similar boat, my 5i is only good for 175 and I can smash the 4h over 200. It's a healthy gap that's always been that way for me with every hybrid/iron I've owned. I can't commit to a full swing on a 5-6 iron because I have always hit them fat and it's a mental hiccup to me. Not quite Charles Barkley mental hiccup but still.........

Yeah, the dilemma is that I am not very good at golf. Haha

Loving all the feedback you testers are giving so far, especially if you're in colder weather. Can't wait to hear from ALL the testers with their feedback!

Just put a new grip on mine. Making a Saturday tee time tomorrow! Can't wait to go hit this bad boy!

I'm in a similar boat, my 5i is only good for 175 and I can smash the 4h over 200. It's a healthy gap that's always been that way for me with every hybrid/iron I've owned. I can't commit to a full swing on a 5-6 iron because I have always hit them fat and it's a mental hiccup to me. Not quite Charles Barkley mental hiccup but still.........

Its the same for me. Its a mental block. I hit my 4 and 5 iron fat more than any other club.

Just put a new grip on mine. Making a Saturday tee time tomorrow! Can't wait to go hit this bad boy!

Didnt like the stock grip? Its one of the things I like most about the club, the grip is awesome, and thats coming from someone that ALWAYS gets rid of the stock grip.

Sounds like you both might have too long a 5i. Choke down an inch, see what happens.

Didnt like the stock grip? Its one of the things I like most about the club, the grip is awesome, and thats coming from someone that ALWAYS gets rid of the stock grip.

Hated it, actually.

Got out to the range for a quick session to hit this one today, will have a full writeup soon. It was a bit wet out as it rained all day, but cleared up a bit for me to get some swings.

I was freaking blown away. Could be one of the easiest clubs I have ever hit. Turf interaction was perfect, and the ball got up and just flew. Wow.

Got out to the range for a quick session to hit this one today, will have a full writeup soon. It was a bit wet out as it rained all day, but cleared up a bit for me to get some swings.

I was freaking blown away. Could be one of the easiest clubs I have ever hit. Turf interaction was perfect, and the ball got up and just flew. Wow.
Awesome buddy! Seems like this is definitely working well for everyone. Can't wait to get out Saturday and give mine a good run through!

Awesome buddy! Seems like this is definitely working well for everyone. Can't wait to get out Saturday and give mine a good run through!
Having spent time with the Driver and Fairways, I expected it to be good, but, didnt expect that. I think we have uncovered the gem of the Xhot line with these hybrids.

Back