Callaway's Marketing

Its a great idea to say get this guy or get that guy, but unfortunately it does not work that way. They have contracts. But lets be honest here, outside of TaylorMade with some popular guys and Tiger Woods, is anybody "moving the needle" equipment wise?

Rory & Rickie? Kaymer? Seriously? Maybe in time, but neither guy is out there making people buy clubs in my opinion. Heck, I would say half of Rickie's fans dont even realize he plays Titleist and would assume PUMA/Cobra. Kaymer in the US is not selling a thing. He has been the highest ranking TM staffer for hte better part of 2 years, and most in the US have no idea who he is.

They have the staple with Phil. They have the young bomber in Quiros. They have a large stable of guys and their putter roster is obscene right now.

The ironic part is that the most visible guy on tour is no doubt Tiger Woods, but that has never translated to equipment sales. Quantity makes sales in most cases, and like Cleveland and a few others, Callaway is built on a decent tour presence, but not large enough to get the "count" like Taylormade can with drivers and Titleist can with wedges and putters.

I know people would like to say they need to get that young big star, but lets face it, outside of Dustin Johnson (speaking of doing nothing), what has TM got in their stable that makes US consumers excited?
Wade, the tour van guy?

Perhaps it's not the people but their marketing is what's driving people to the stores to buy the eggs.

I think Callaway should overhaul the marketing, maybe a fresh face is the answer, maybe it isn't, but do some better marketing to consumers overall is my general tone in all of this. What they have isn't working, so take a chance, it can't hurt...what's the worse that could happen, end up where they started?

Perhaps it's not the people but their marketing is what's driving people to the stores to buy the eggs.

I think Callaway should overhaul the marketing, maybe a fresh face is the answer, maybe it isn't, but do some better marketing to consumers overall is my general tone in all of this. What they have isn't working, so take a chance, it can't hurt...what's the worse that could happen, end up where they started?

I agree to an extent, but lets look at the flip side of it.
Callaway does an ad showing making fun of the white driver and it is considered a bad idea.
Taylormade does an ad saying its longer than the RAZR Hawk and different than other drivers and its annoying but popular.

It is about marketing. It is about cool. The Callaway brand is just not "cool" with the younger generation right now, and in this economy, they are the ones spending money on equipment.

I would go after a guy like Nick Watney, I dont really know why. I just like him for some reason

Its a great idea to say get this guy or get that guy, but unfortunately it does not work that way. They have contracts. But lets be honest here, outside of TaylorMade with some popular guys and Tiger Woods, is anybody "moving the needle" equipment wise?
Rory & Rickie? Kaymer? Seriously? Maybe in time, but neither (R&R) guy is out there making people buy clubs in my opinion. Heck, I would say half of Rickie's fans dont even realize he plays Titleist and would assume PUMA/Cobra. Kaymer in the US is not selling a thing. He has been the highest ranking TM staffer for hte better part of 2 years, and most in the US have no idea who he is.

They have the staple with Phil. They have the young bomber in Quiros. They have a large stable of guys and their putter roster is obscene right now.

The ironic part is that the most visible guy on tour is no doubt Tiger Woods, but that has never translated to equipment sales. Quantity makes sales in most cases, and like Cleveland and a few others, Callaway is built on a decent tour presence, but not large enough to get the "count" like Taylormade can with drivers and Titleist can with wedges and putters.

I know people would like to say they need to get that young big star, but lets face it, outside of Dustin Johnson (speaking of doing nothing), what has TM got in their stable that makes US consumers excited?

I would have to agree with this sentence so much!!

Other than Ernie Els commercial. That made me want Razr X irons just for the orgasm affect

Great post (even from a Hackers fan haha, you know I'm kidding!). I loved the performance over paint but I can see where it just gives TM more exposure.

Patience and persistance will get them their share if thats what they want. They have one of the more iconic names in the Bertha line and had a good thing going with the X irons. I wasn't a fan of the Razr X name at first but I completely understand it after reading up on it. How many people are going to do that though? Tough spot though, I mean at some point you'd be at X-32 and that would be ridiculous.

I loved the X-24's but couldnt understand why they put Hot on the name. Things like that make me scratch my head.

At my old course, I saw more people carrying around older Callaway gear I'd love to see them leverage an upgrade program. Reward loyalty.

I also have to say, I'm not a giant fan of the Forged Composite adds that talks about how it's longer than the R11. Yes, you're trying to talk about your product being better but your putting the focus on the other company's club. If I see that ad and then a TM ad, I've just heard about the R11 twice and the Razr once and Callaway has paid for half of that exposure. Seems like a bad dollars to exposure ratio to me.

Then there's the fact that about 3 years TM looked at Callaway's marketing share and went after it hardcore. TM's also the kind of company that once they have their foot on your throat, they don't let up. Yoccos is spot on, if Callaway want's that back, they’re going to have to go after it long term.

Finally, I think they need to bring back the Big Bertha name and the X series. They spent ages building these names and they're the first things I think about when someone says Callaway to me. Before I knew squat about golf if someone said Callaway, I would immediately think Big Bertha and quality. The Diablo name as neat as it is, doesn't seem to be resonating with the consumer nor are the graphics.

Americans dig the long ball. I agree with Biggs and I said it in the other thread as well. Use Quiros to your advantage. He also has a great personality, he would do well over here if they used him more.

There are obviously a ton of components to a marketing strategy and it's really hard to say what needs to be done and what doesnt need to be touched. I don't know why they'd want to compete with TM right now and go after TM's marketshare. Putting your eggs in that basket and you'd get smoked. You can't break what TM has right now. That's a more long term project if thats your goal. And just remember just because a certain group of people are playing TM now, doesnt mean they wont play anything else. Look at our bags usually.

They may not be super active like TM with forum testing but they are a big sponsor for the MC. That's really good exposure there. Only two companies in that one.

Although I would love to see more social media interaction. That's kinda my thing. I want to be posting on their facebook pages and would love more retweets but they arent the only ones who don't respond.

JB would be able to add more insight, but can you really say even if they got a McIlroy that they would move more equipment? It's not a guarantee. Titleist has always been big, I don't know if Rory is exactly spiking the needle for them.

What callaway needs to do is move into the putter market with odyssey. odyssey is already huge in the putting market, it deals with the putter almost individually. obviously its the most used club in the bag. if they can start there and branch out then i would have no doubt in my mind that callaway would be a HUGE player in the golf market again. and im not saying they arent right now, im saying they dont have the touch they did 5-10 years ago.

What callaway needs to do is move into the putter market with odyssey. odyssey is already huge in the putting market, it deals with the putter almost individually. obviously its the most used club in the bag. if they can start there and branch out then i would have no doubt in my mind that callaway would be a HUGE player in the golf market again. and im not saying they arent right now, im saying they dont have the touch they did 5-10 years ago.

Two problems with this scenario.
1. They already are #1 in the putter marketshare numbers.
2. People do not buy putters as often as drivers and other clubs. Therefore less money is made.

If by huge you mean #1, then your right. I think putters are the one thing people hang onto. I mean, no matter how much technology you put in a putter, its still just a putter.

edit: JB beat me to the punch

maybe odyssey should use some of their guys on callaways clubs. there has to be something gained there if you want to move up.

I also have to say, I'm not a giant fan of the Forged Composite adds that talks about how it's longer than the R11. Yes, you're trying to talk about your product being better but your putting the focus on the other company's club. If I see that ad and then a TM ad, I've just heard about the R11 twice and the Razr once and Callaway has paid for half of that exposure. Seems like a bad dollars to exposure ratio to me.

Then there's the fact that about 3 years TM looked at Callaway's marketing share and went after it hardcore. TM's also the kind of company that once they have their foot on your throat, they don't let up. Yoccos is spot on, if Callaway want's that back, they're going to have to go after it long term.

Finally, I think they need to bring back the Big Bertha name and the X series. They spent ages building these names and they're the first things I think about when someone says Callaway to me. Before I knew squat about golf if someone said Callaway, I would immediately think Big Bertha and quality. The Diablo name as neat as it is, doesn't seem to be resonating with the consumer nor are the graphics.
I agree 100% with everything you've said here.

With regards to Bridgestone and their stable of guys, Kuchar is not exactly the most inspiring marketing device. Freddie is easy to relate to, Trevino is always great, and DL3 is ok. To me, Kuchar just seems awkward and nerdy. That said, I think the ad they use with him and his dad is a good one (although I don't believe that his dad swings that fast, but that's another story).

You don't dude. It's a discussion :)

It didn't quote your whole quote but you don't look like what you said.

maybe odyssey should use some of their guys on callaways clubs. there has to be something gained there if you want to move up.

If Callaway could score a McIlroy or a Fowler...they'd be in good shape. They need a young, well-known golfer to draw the younger crowd of golfers towards Callaway.

Great post (even from a Hackers fan haha, you know I'm kidding!). I loved the performance over paint but I can see where it just gives TM more exposure.

Patience and persistance will get them their share if thats what they want. They have one of the more iconic names in the Bertha line and had a good thing going with the X irons. I wasn't a fan of the Razr X name at first but I completely understand it after reading up on it. How many people are going to do that though? Tough spot though, I mean at some point you'd be at X-32 and that would be ridiculous.

I loved the X-24's but couldnt understand why they put Hot on the name. Things like that make me scratch my head.

At my old course, I saw more people carrying around older Callaway gear I'd love to see them leverage an upgrade program. Reward loyalty.
Agreed regarding the Big Bertha name. In terms of paint, what were they thinking with the crown on the Diablo Octane driver? Wow.

I was surprised when they used the RAZR name because of the huge popularity of the Motorola phones of the same name. Granted that was a number of years ago now but EVERYONE owned that phone.

hahaha, yeah and I highlighted a key piece, well to me at least...

Agreed regarding the Big Bertha name. In terms of paint, what were they thinking with the crown on the Diablo Octane driver? Wow.

I was surprised when they used the RAZR name because of the huge popularity of the Motorola phones of the same name. Granted that was a number of years ago now but EVERYONE owned that phone.

I agree almost exactly with what JB posted earlier about no specific players moving the equipment needle right now. As far as US sales, they need an American superstar to boost sales...and there are none. A European star isn't going to make a marketing splash in the US, even if it was Rory. From a personnel standpoint, I'd say the best they can try to do is add a bunch of young tour pros (as contracts allow) and hope one of them catch fire, or at least win a couple of majors...in essence, copying the TaylorMade approach. It also doesn't help when your two best known staffers (Phil and Ernie) are both on the downsides of their careers and are not as competitive as they once were. I mean, this year, I think I've seen Phil more prominently in Arthritis ads than Golf ones.

Their equipment this year is good, but in the realm of white clubs, super-light clubs, etc...they don't have anything that stands out in the ads when others do. While maybe only performance should matter, it doesn't and when there is less descretionary spending on golf and golf equipment, you need all the help you can get.

If Callaway could score a McIlroy or a Fowler...they'd be in good shape. They need a young, well-known golfer to draw the younger crowd of golfers towards Callaway.

I don't agree that this would automatically put them in good shape. The reason for this is we don't know how big of a name either of these will be in the next 1-5 years. Sure, many think they will both be big names moving forward, but we don't know for sure. (I mean, is Fowler ever going to win a tourney, let alone a major?). I guess I relate this to Villegas signing with TaylorMade. There was a huge thread on this and a lot of people said this was great for TM. Well, has it been? Just looked up his stats for the year and he had made 9 of 17 cuts this year. That screams epic fail to me....

Maybe Cally doesn't need a big name/names, it all depends in how big of a player they want to be. More market share doesn't necessarily equal more profit. I would be curious to see what the profit margin of say..Cleveland, Adams, Cobra, etc is vs. Nike, TM, Cally, and Ping. Some might be surprised.

Great post (even from a Hackers fan haha, you know I'm kidding!).

I need to use Dr. Teeth's disclaimer too. Team Hackers and Yoccos as well you crazy Tmex :alien:

Theory: What about doing something like Titleist does with Team Titleist? Maybe this is just the thought of the local's but having friendly reps from Titleist available through a forum, twitter, etc has made the company image go from very stodgy to dignified but not only accepting but encouraging to the younger generation through online interaction.

That being said, Callaway is already in the top three for younger generation sales so maybe that's not enough of a cost/benefit ratio for them.

Maybe Cally doesn't need a big name/names, it all depends in how big of a player they want to be. More market share doesn't necessarily equal more profit. I would be curious to see what the profit margin of say..Cleveland, Adams, Cobra, etc is vs. Nike, TM, Cally, and Ping. Some might be surprised.

Ironically Cleveland has a larger staff than a couple of the others you mentioned.

Hahaha, I'd feel honored! TMex, I actually love that nickname.. Been kicking around a forum name change for a bit. Mainly to just drop the 1981 but Marcawesome and now this.

Anyway, I don't know man. I like the idea of a team but I would just love it if they were more interactive on twitter and facebook. Like had someone and they respond to tweets and make some random comments on fan's pages. I think making the effort to reach out rather than sit back and wait could pay off. Like I said, I'd do that for them for free right now. Social media is a good place to start out small and for the most part it's free. You can beat free advertising that reachs millions.

I need to use Dr. Teeth's disclaimer too. Team Hackers and Yoccos as well you crazy Tmex :alien:

Theory: What about doing something like Titleist does with Team Titleist? Maybe this is just the thought of the local's but having friendly reps from Titleist available through a forum, twitter, etc has made the company image go from very stodgy to dignified but not only accepting but encouraging to the younger generation through online interaction.

That being said, Callaway is already in the top three for younger generation sales so maybe that's not enough of a cost/benefit ratio for them.

Ironically Cleveland has a larger staff than a couple of the others you mentioned.

larger as in larger names, larger dollars, or both? (not trying to be a smart-a with that question, either, I really have no idea and am curious)
Whatever the answer is, I'm surprised by that. I would have guessed that the 4 I mentioned had the largest market share of staffers...

larger as in larger names, larger dollars, or both? (not trying to be a smart-a with that question, either, I really have no idea and am curious)
Whatever the answer is, I'm surprised by that. I would have guessed that the 4 I mentioned had the largest market share of staffers...

Larger as in larger staff of players.
Going off memory alone here, at the start of the 2011 season
Nike had 15 PGA Tour staffers
Cleveland had 19 PGA Tour staffers.
Ping had 20 PGA Tour staffers (although 5 of them were not full PGA Tour schedules)

Hahaha, I'd feel honored! TMex, I actually love that nickname.. Been kicking around a forum name change for a bit. Mainly to just drop the 1981 but Marcawesome and now this.

Anyway, I don't know man. I like the idea of a team but I would just love it if they were more interactive on twitter and facebook. Like had someone and they respond to tweets and make some random comments on fan's pages. I think making the effort to reach out rather than sit back and wait could pay off. Like I said, I'd do that for them for free right now. Social media is a good place to start out small and for the most part it's free. You can beat free advertising that reachs millions.

I think that's the key to the social media. Rather than sit back on your laurels, do something to win more followers or "likes". I know many companies just randomly give away stuff or do it when you reach certain milestones in regards to followers/likes. They were doing that on the quiz side on twitter for a bit but the give away was a mention and a follow. Lame sauce. Something simple as a dozen Tour i(s), (z)'s would generate some activity and get your balls out to the general population. 2 birds with one tweet. Heck Srixon won some fans just hiding a yellow ball in a random location with some clues to give away a dozen Tour Yellows. In the grand scheme of things, that really isn't hard to do.

It really isn't at all. So many possibilities, I just have a couple random popping up in my head. They have a huge untapped resource right there.

I think that's the key to the social media. Rather than sit back on your laurels, do something to win more followers or "likes". I know many companies just randomly give away stuff or do it when you reach certain milestones in regards to followers/likes. They were doing that on the quiz side on twitter for a bit but the give away was a mention and a follow. Lame sauce. Something simple as a dozen Tour i(s), (z)'s would generate some activity and get your balls out to the general population. 2 birds with one tweet. Heck Srixon won some fans just hiding a yellow ball in a random location with some clues to give away a dozen Tour Yellows. In the grand scheme of things, that really isn't hard to do.

Back