Calling all past captains! Looking for advice on pairings for The Freaking Grandaddy of them all!

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am starting to think about the pairings that @dacatalyst41 and I will throw out against the Zoo Crew in December.

How do you go about selecting the guys/gals to go out?
Did you ask who they wanted to play with and felt comfortable with?
Should we go with a poppalooza with some low cap/low cap or a high and low pairings?

@Jman @Canadan @jdtox @OITW @tequila4kapp @McLovin @DataDude

If anyone else on the forum has had some experience pairing teammates in a team competition, let me know what worked for you!

Make sure somehow, if you have any power over it, that Finley goes off with the first group, so he can't get in everyone's head on the first tee :p

Make sure somehow, if you have any power over it, that Finley goes off with the first group, so he can't get in everyone's head on the first tee :p
I think we shotgun start the rounds so I don't think that is going to be an issue. :)

No matter how you pair us up @MattyD-MPLS , I think its safe to say whomever you pair with me is going to feel SOOOOOOOOOOO lucky. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Interested to see what guidance we get from the ex-cap's on this one. I can think of a few different approaches and strategies. But this is the freaking Grandaddy so all bets are off. :)

Love this! Excited to see what some former Captains say!

No matter how you pair us up @MattyD-MPLS , I think its safe to say whomever you pair with me is going to feel SOOOOOOOOOOO lucky. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Interested to see what guidance we get from the ex-cap's on this one. I can think of a few different approaches and strategies. But this is the freaking Grandaddy so all bets are off. :)
We have found our most humble teammate, everyone!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No worries I’ve been told I’m so thick headed I can’t be told anything 🤣

I am starting to think about the pairings that @dacatalyst41 and I will throw out against the Zoo Crew in December.

How do you go about selecting the guys/gals to go out?
Did you ask who they wanted to play with and felt comfortable with?
Should we go with a poppalooza with some low cap/low cap or a high and low pairings?

@Jman @Canadan @jdtox @OITW @tequila4kapp @McLovin @DataDude

If anyone else on the forum has had some experience pairing teammates in a team competition, let me know what worked for you!
Im a big fan of players that compliment the others weakness an vice versa

Note to self: Bring partner a back brace 😂

And it's the internet so here is the gist of it.
Most struggle off the tee.
Most are really good around the greens.
Those will be the answers.

Now pair them up. :ROFLMAO:

It's like you've seen me play before :LOL:

what if you struggle off the tee AND around the greens? Asking for a friend.....

what if you struggle off the tee AND around the greens? Asking for a friend.....
Then you have 3 months to get the game in shape.
That's the beauty of this.

Want to play better? Could there literally be any more of a motivator than heading to one of the best facilities in the world. Being fit by the same people that fit the best players in the world.

Could you imagine going into that and not having the swing repeatable or being at your best? Winter will be upon us, but there are still so many ways to keep working.

This is the route I would go. Try to offset players. That way hopefully you are in every hole.

Want to play better? Could there literally be any more of a motivator than heading to one of the best facilities in the world. Being fit by the same people that fit the best players in the world.

Could you imagine going into that and not having the swing repeatable or being at your best? Winter will be upon us, but there are still so many ways to keep working.

I would l be dropping a decent chunk of change to come in to this as ready as possible.

I would l be dropping a decent chunk of change to come in to this as ready as possible.
Forget the competing part of it too. The fitting with these guys is so awesome.
I regret that fact and learned from my mistake.

My biggest mistake was not having more guys play with different partners throughout the weekend.

My biggest success was having guys play with people they already knew, had already played with, etc.

I think comfort is tremendously important. Everyone is going to be nervous. Anything we can do to make people more comfortable and relaxed is good. That might mean pairing guys who like to chirp together, pairing guys who like quiet together, pairing especially fast / slow players together, etc.

IMHO it can be a mistake trying to make these decision based solely on golf style/skills. EVERYONE will have nerves, will play with new gear, be on a new course together for the 1st time, etc. The human level stuff matters a lot.

Forget the competing part of it too. The fitting with these guys is so awesome.
I regret that fact and learned from my mistake.

Yes.. It is a very positive stress factor.

The regret of going into the Grandaddy without my best stuff or not putting forth my best effort to be my best I think would probably haunt me for the rest of my days.

I’m going to put this on my bulletin board as a reminder of making sure my game is in the best shape possible! I’m hoping a few lessons will give me confidence I need going in!

@MattyD-MPLS I will be scheduling more lesson(s) and that decision is 100% absolutely completely unrelated to this thread. Do what you will with this information 😬

My biggest mistake was not having more guys play with different partners throughout the weekend.

My biggest success was having guys play with people they already knew, had already played with, etc.

I think comfort is tremendously important. Everyone is going to be nervous. Anything we can do to make people more comfortable and relaxed is good. That might mean pairing guys who like to chirp together, pairing guys who like quiet together, pairing especially fast / slow players together, etc.

IMHO it can be a mistake trying to make these decision based solely on golf style/skills. EVERYONE will have nerves, will play with new gear, be on a new course together for the 1st time, etc. The human level stuff matters a lot.
To that point - did you have some sort of questionairre you asked the fellas to fill out to get a better sense of those styles/skills?

Back