JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What is everyone using and what features do they like and dislike about them? I am about to possibly make the change into the SLR world and the research is killing me.

I have an Olympus SP510UZ. The best feature is the 10X optical zoom (the SP570 has a 20X zoom). A friend of mine has an older Olympus and his pictures were the best I had seen in non-SLR digital cameras so I decided to ditch the Minolta for this one. The results have not been disappointing. You can set it up in AUTO mode or you can pick f/stops and shutter speeds yourself. The more I use it the more I get away from the AUTO setting. Great pictures and with it being 7 MP, you are able to digitally zoom and still get very good 5x7 prints.

I haven't gone SLR because the price hasn't come down enough for me to justify it.

• Admin
Yeah, I took a look at that Olympus last week. Many companies are now making larger zoom point & shoot cameras. But I really think I need to go SLR at this point. Panasonic has a similar camera that most of the sites just absolutely rave about. Right now I am leaning towards the Canon Eos. Still not sure yet though.

I have a Nikon Coolpix 7 MP that is a few years old, like Smalls said, I just can't justify the price increase to go to SLR for the amount of pics I take. I think the 7MP point and shot is perfect for me mostly because I don't do a whole lot with it and I can crop away on a 7MP image without any problems. Most of the people I know that have SLR's are using the Canon Rebel and swear by the thing. And for most of them it is more of a novelty to have an SLR than a necessity.

• Admin
Thanks Craig...I meant the Rebel. I really like the XSI model. I really need to go SLR because of the amount of reviews that we are having to do. I need some better shots, especially of clothing.

My brain hurts.

And while I'm quoting Monte Python this morning, the correct response is, "Then we'll have to take it out!"

Thanks Craig...I meant the Rebel. I really like the XSI model. I really need to go SLR because of the amount of reviews that we are having to do. I need some better shots, especially of clothing.

The Rebel is a very nice camera!! I think I could get those quality kind of shots you are needing to take with my 7MP point and shoot to be honest. I think you have seen my cigar stuff on my website??? Those were done with that camera.

• Admin
I have two 9 mp cameras. 1 is the Nikon Coolpix and the other is a Casio Exilim. They both take great pictures but the SLR is needed for some of the details that these manufacturers want us to take.

I have two 9 mp cameras. 1 is the Nikon Coolpix and the other is a Casio Exilim. They both take great pictures but the SLR is needed for some of the details that these manufacturers want us to take.

JB,

Have your found a digital SLR yet? I know that "Fiona" recently bought a Canon EOS 400D recently after looking at a few brands including the Nikon competitor. Apparently the variety of lenses is better also.

Fiona has a background in web design & graphic design. If you have a query, send her a PM.

I know that "Fiona" recently bought a Canon EOS 400D recently after looking at a few brands including the Nikon competitor. Apparently the variety of lenses is better also.

JB, I was in a similar boat to you about 5 months ago. With my graphic design experience though, and the help of trusty Photoshop I could make most of the adjustments I needed. Photo retouching takes a bit of time though so it's alot better to get a great photo to start with.

I researched all the main entry level quality digital SLRs on the Australian market. My choice came down to the Nikon D40x or the Canon EOS 400D. What ended up convincing me to go with the Canon was the variety of lenses available compared to the Nikon which will only take Nikor lenses (great quality but expensive). I went and did a basic DSLR course and it was well worth the money.

That's my 2 cents!

Right now I have a Sony Cybershot, and it's not cutting it for what I am getting into.

I'm just getting into more of action photography, particularly golf swings, soccer games, and hockey, and the delay on most camera's is so hard to deal with. So for my birthday/christmas present this year I'm getting a nicer camera.

Can anyone offer me some help with choosing the right one. I want a good quality camera with no delay, takes high quality pictures, and has different lenses. Thanks for the any help.

Have a look at the post by "Fiona". I know she went through the same process in looking for a camera. Give her a PM with any specific questions. My sister also settled for a Canon DSLR & is happy with it.

For the action shots, you will most likely need a DSLR. I have narrowed my choices down to three. I will keep you all in the loop

I want to thank DDBowdoin for pointing me in the right direction. He gave me the website Kenrockwell.com. After reading that, I purchased the Nikon D40 and am thrilled to death with it so far. I also got a flash and 2 lenses. Thanks to that site it saved me some money and it works great.

glad to hear the site helped... I have been using his site for some time!

I need a new lense, a flash, and some polarization filters (for shooting golf courses, some of the light from the massive amounts of skyline messes with the color distribution)

As for photoshop, it is almost required if you want to maximize your shots. I DO NOT have a copy and am not ready to part with a grand for my amateur photographs.

I agree DD. There are so many good programs out there that are free or less money. For simple tasks, I use Irfanview. Its free and works well. Photoshop is amazing, but I wont use it enough to spend the money on it.

I had the opportunity to get a copy of the full photoshop suite for 400, through a friend and his student discount, but I couldn't get her to pony up and get it done. You have to fax a record of your student record to Adobe and what not but beyond that it's pretty easy.

Apple Aperature is another product I'd like but again, it's roughly a grand!

We loved my camera so much we just went and got GG one of her own before the FL swing tournies we will be attending. Now we have two D40's

I wish my wife would get her own, I had to settle for getting another memory card. I don't take pics with her card and I hide mine from her so she doesn't fill it up.LOL She will take like 300 pics before she downloads or get them developed, it drives me nuts.

I've always been a canon person so:

Canon EOS 30D
Canon SD990IS

I love them both. For my compact I had the SD500 previously and really loved it until it was dropped. The SD990 I got a couple months ago and I was contimplating the G10 but it was too bulky to carry around for my needs. Both the SD990 and SD500 had roughly the same body.

Monty,
I like the Canons too, but since we already had one Nikon, we wanted to stay in the family to share accessories and lenses.

so far I love the camera! I brought it to work with me to play around with the settings and see what kinds of fun and creative things I can do with it. We seriously considrered the Cannon but like JB said, it didn't make sense to buy a different brand and then have to go out and buy all the accessories too. This should hopefully save us money in the long run.

Back