I have a nikon d70 and have really enjoyed it. Over 20,000 images and counting in over 4 years. I believe it equates to the D90 now.

I like the larger nikons, easier to hold (big hands) and control. The d40 IMO is too small. If I could justify the D300 or D3 cost, I would love to upgrade to them. A friend did comment that the D70 was faster in auto focus with a single focusing spot versus the 56 spots on the D300/D3. Thus the D70 was better for action photography. But she loves the D300 for all her professional work (animal portrait work)

The biggest issue for SLR is the lens. This is where the most cost and features come from. I really like nikon's fast professional lens lines. I have the 28-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 nikon lenses and others. I really like their speed to focus and weight. Really great for shooting indoors. Expensive but really great performance. I carry them everywhere -- like right now at Crufts in Birmingham, England.

Most of my images are travel and ad hoc photography. (http://troublescottie.smugmug.com) Typical outings are 100 images. Intense outings can generate 300+ images. I seldom post process any of the images. That said, I do have several inexpensive programs that I use when I feel in the mood.

Recently I have added a Mamiya RB67 medium format film camera. Really an interesting addition. All mechanical, auto nothing -- very different feel. The only significant issue is the cost. To use, develop and scan a roll of 10 images is about $20. A bit pricey versus the near free cost of digital. Granted the camera, 2 lenses and some add-ons is under $500 used. Versus the $6000 I have in my Nikon.

Michael Krolewski, Seattle WA

Who declares the winner and on what grounds? Is it based on consumer only like the D90?

I believe that is a Nikon owner (which I am one) D90 is a good, middle of the road dSLR - lot of features, reasonable price (around $1000). Canon is really the only other dSLR company. Canon has a similar model (40D or 50D?). Nikon and Canon are the big players. Most (majority?) photographers use one or the other brands. Both Canon and Nikon produce a very nice set of lenses for their cameras. Typically you find people in one or the other camps.

Obviously, people get into Leicas and Hasselblads and others.

Dont forget Panasonic, Sony, and Pentax. They are great cameras too.

For the money here is the winner of 2008 SLR digital camera, Nikon D-90
http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/best-digital-slr-of-2008.html
I saw it on sale at Costco.

Consumer Reports recommended the Pentax K200D (MSRP $600) and Canon EOS Rebel XSi (MSRP $650) over the Nikon D-90 (MSRP $1,300) The Nikon's overall score of 71 beat the Pentax (67) and the Canon (67) but they didn't feel the difference was worth recommending the Nikon. There are three comparably priced advanced DSLR's that score even higher (the Nikon D300 has an MSRP of $1,500; the Olympus E-3 Digital is $1,300; and the "Best Buy" of all DSLR's is the Canon EOS 40D Digital at $1,100).

I've owned the Olympus E-510 SLR for about 18 months now. No complaints. I've owned a digital rebel in the past, and several Nikon SLR film cameras over the year.

The E-510 is slightly more compact than many- but big enough to get around the button and dials. Lots of nice features. And Zuiko makes GREAT glass!

That Olympus is a good one Pinged. We were looking at it the other day.

Back