Camilo possible rules violation... Phoned in?

johndeere10

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry I don't know the details and missed seeing it on tv yesterday. But I've seen little bit of talk of Camilo moving a loose impediment on 15th hole while ball was still moving or something along that line? Sounds like someone saw it on TV and called in about it? I believe he made a 7 on the hole if it was a rules violation it would be a 2 stroke penalty = 9 and since he has already signed his scorecard he would be disqualified for signing incorrect scorecard.

Phoning in when you see something is a little bit extreme! If it was missed by player/rules official then the player was just lucky. But a viewer calling in and a player getting disqualified from someone on the couch shouldn't be allowed. Other sports don't allow outside refs to call in!!!

Interesting. I didn't see it happen so I don't know the whole story. But if the rules officials missed it during the round, then it must not have been a violation. Those officials can be like hawks. And fans on their couch have no business affecting the happenings of the tournament.

Looks like a violation to me, but it could be construed as repairing his divot and say the intent wasn't there but it doesn't look good

It's the players responsibility to call violations on himself, unless it was something he inadvertently did, or just didn't realize it was a rules violation.

According to the rule, it looks like a violation to me.

I agree, it's extreme to have viewers phone in violations. It's been going on for a couple of years that I can recall.

The only way I can see this not being a violation is that the ball did not come through the path of the loose imprediment that was moved. If the ball went through the area with the divot that Camilo moved, then I say that it was a violation.

The only way I can see this not being a violation is that the ball did not come through the path of the loose imprediment that was moved. If the ball went through the area with the divot that Camilo moved, then I say that it was a violation.

Found this in the rule book. When a ball is in motion, a loose impediment that might influence the movement of the ball must not be removed.

I think it's a penalty.

Jeez, it's a bit extreme for a guy to lose his potential earnings due to a TV viewer calling in a violation!

Sure, he should be calling it on himself, but if we're being scarily pessimistic, the potential for things like this is awesome. Should viewers be allowed to do this/should the tournament take these calls?

Found this in the rule book. When a ball is in motion, a loose impediment that might influence the movement of the ball must not be removed.

I think it's a penalty.

Yup. I would say it is then. It would take some serious lawyer-type speak to get out of this one.

<Right now I picture the scene from 'Role Models' when Sean William Scott's character says, "Yeah do whatever you got to do. Lawyer the s__t out of it.">

I think it's a penalty.

Based on this wording, it was definitely a violation, as the sentence you used does not even reference intent, just the action itself. That being said, after watching the video, it actually looks like he intended to move the divot out of the way as the ball was rolling right back at him. Unfortunately, he should probably be disqualified from the tournament for signing an incorrect scorecard.

Just like the DJ situation with the "bunker", I think this is where the caddy should really come into play. The caddy should know the rules like the back of his hand, so when a player, in the heat of a crappy hole does something impulsive like this, the caddy can immediately help the player make the correct call and avoid a DQ, or hopefully avoid taking the offending action in the first place (in the case of DJ).

Just like the DJ situation with the "bunker", I think this is where the caddy should really come into play. The caddy should know the rules like the back of his hand, so when a player, in the heat of a crappy hole does something impulsive like this, the caddy can immediately help the player make the correct call and avoid a DQ, or hopefully avoid taking the offending action in the first place (in the case of DJ).

I could be wrong on this since I only vaguely remember reading about this during the summer - but isn't it illegal to technically "coach" a player while on course? ie: acting as their conscience?

I could be wrong on this since I only vaguely remember reading about this during the summer - but isn't it illegal to technically "coach" a player while on course? ie: acting as their conscience?

I didn't think so as long as it comes from the caddy. I believe that players cannot discuss with each other their shot or club selections.

I didn't think so as long as it comes from the caddy. I believe that players cannot discuss with each other their shot or club selections.

Ohh ok that makes more sense. Thanks!

Some players don't want any outside influence from their caddy, other than to hand them the club and carry the bag. That's their job description. My uncle was that way on tour.

Some players have more open relationships like you see with Bones and Phil.

Maybe Camilo's caddy (who is new with him this year) can't tell him anything and he's paid to just hand him clubs and stay out of the way.

There was a story on this a while back and Dan Patrick has discussed this on his show how when he was doing golf broadcasts people would phone in all the time to say they saw a rules violation or correct him on something he said. Really people? Do you have nothing better to do? Just watch the show, enjoy the game, and stay out of the way.

"Found this in the rule book. When a ball is in motion, a loose impediment that might influence the movement of the ball must not be removed.

I think it's a penalty."

What a bogus rule. What the heck does might mean? I hit a shot, while in the air I flick the divot. The ball might hit an object and come back but it didn't so did I violate the rule. Until the ball comes to a complete stop, it "might" be headed to the impediment in question.

If the ball rolled across the spot he touched then I can say it is a penalty. You cannot see it on TV, he is blocking the view. The ball is clearly rolling of to his right when he flicks the divot, then makes a turn back to the left.

There was a story on this a while back and Dan Patrick has discussed this on his show how when he was doing golf broadcasts people would phone in all the time to say they saw a rules violation or correct him on something he said. Really people? Do you have nothing better to do? Just watch the show, enjoy the game, and stay out of the way.

How the heck to people know what phone number to call anyway? :wtf: It's not like NBC or TGC posts a public message at the beginning of each broadcast with a number to call. Here's an idea NBC and TGC, if the phone rings.....DON'T ANSWER IT. Let it go to voicemail.

If I had that phone number, I wouldn't be calling about rules violations. I'd be calling them about broadcaster violations. LOL! Oh ya, and tell the camera guy on #9 green to zoom in on the babes in the corporate tent. :zdance: :popcorn:

I saw it while watching and I thought that it could be a rules violation but didn't know. Even if I did know the rules I would never call to a tournament about a violation.

It seems to me that is a man law violation .

Camilo was having a tough time with that hole, it was his second attempt to get on the green.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'm afraid that that is just the nature of some people.
Some people thrive in pointing out others' flaws and revel in being able to be "the one" who caught someone in the wrong.
I'd be that the person who phoned in will be telling that story for years to come, and still have the same odd look of pride on their face when they do it.

The viewer must have been very interested in the round.. It wouldnt even occur to me to call in, and even if I wanted to, I would have no idea of who to call or how to go about it. Took a lot of effort on the viewer's part.

Forgive me because I am on an iPhone and can't watch any of the videos, but did camilo notice this, should have noticed it? Did he try and get away with it? Just an honest mistake?

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

Forgive me because I am on an iPhone and can't watch any of the videos, but did camilo notice this, should have noticed it? Did he try and get away with it? Just an honest mistake?

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

From what I saw, it honestly looked like he deliberately tried to clear the path of the ball.
The ball was rolling back down the hill, and he removed debris that was there in front of him and the ball. The ball did not travel over or exactly near the debris he removed, but I think the action was still there.

Honestly, it never occurred to me that this was a rules violation, I just assumed he was fixing the divot he left, and I'm pretty sure that's what he was thinking too. I honestly can't see how he would know the exact roll of the ball coming back down the hill. I think fans or PITA's for that matter should not be allowed to call in and report rules violations, they have officials on the course for that. No other sport allows it, why should golf?

Completely off topic, but - Happy Birthday Camilo! haha

Sorry, continue!

Back