Can’t Stop Over The Top

And on the way back? Is it as simple as bend your wrist? Or do you think of bending them flat?
The key is the proper direction of the cast, as shown in the video. That will set the wrists, hands, arms and body on the proper path.

Monte said the video gets lesser golfers to "zero out" several key positions / points that good players achieve as recorded through BodiTrak, Hackmotion, GEARS, etc. I know some people will object to $25 video. I found it was worth it.

At the top it's just "SEND IT!" With irons, I "snap" the wrists as in a true casting motion, but need to be less violent with driver. My goal is to get my wrist / hand / arm drop to beat my body turn.
And you're doing the bowing of the right wrist while doing all this? Sounds kind of impossible to do. I know Monte said the bowing is just a feel and won't actually happen, but even to just attempt it while "sending it" and snapping the wrists sounds really difficult. Unless you're talking about snapping the wrists into a bowed position. Is that what you're referring to?

Wow, a 3-iron 150 yards, I'd kill to be able to hit any iron 150 yards, and I'm not being sarcastic, believe me. Just pointing out the depths of my despair.

I think the crux of your problem is right there, though: What do you mean by "add any swing force"? HOW do you try to do that? My guess is with your shoulders and arms. My vote is to go look at Paul Wilson's YT videos. While not the ultimate solution for most (it is for some) it's a way of training your body to add necessary hip/pelvis motion.

Of course, I'm just a random stranger on the net; as others have pointed out, get a good pro's advice (granted, it may be just as hard to find a good pro as it is to find a good swing). Good Luck.
Yeah, by adding force it's probably via the shoulders and arms. I tried the Wilson tips a while ago. I've never had any success with a lower body started swing. Right now I'm just pretty seriously lost. Or to spin it, I'm tablua rasa. Ready for the tip that will transform my game!

I just want to add that for me, the breakthrough with NTC was as much about changing my mental image of the golf swing.
And you're doing the bowing of the right wrist while doing all this? Sounds kind of impossible to do. I know Monte said the bowing is just a feel and won't actually happen, but even to just attempt it while "sending it" and snapping the wrists sounds really difficult. Unless you're talking about snapping the wrists into a bowed position. Is that what you're referring to?

The "hard cast" with my wrists is the first move of the downswing. Not through the ball.

I couldn’t stop picturing Stallone when I see the words “Over the Top” But, this is an area I struggle with as well.

Unless replied to, this is the last I'll say about Monte and NTC in this thread. He has a few Instagram posts from the past few days on the very topic of over-the-top and the direction of the cast I'm talking about. One guy has very similar "before and after" pix as mine. Give them a watch, and if you see the value, I encourage you to buy the video.

Get an Orange Whip and start swinging it. Yes, I’m serious.

Unless replied to, this is the last I'll say about Monte and NTC in this thread. He has a few Instagram posts from the past few days on the very topic of over-the-top and the direction of the cast I'm talking about. One guy has very similar "before and after" pix as mine. Give them a watch, and if you see the value, I encourage you to buy the video.
I tried it. I'd done a similar swing a while back (that didn't work) so I was a little skeptical, but it seems the wrist move (looking to get the right wrist bowed at impact) made all the difference. I yanked some balls left. Came over the top on a shot I forgot to do the wrist move. And hit two or three perfect shots. I think it's going to work long-term because I love the divots it makes even on the practice swings. Thanks very much for the suggestion. Re: buying the video. How do you get it? I mean, I see how to purchase it on his website, but what file format do you get (so that you can keep it and view it multiple times)? PS. Thanks for the Instagram suggestion. It was very interesting.

Probably unpopular, but I weaken my grip to feel flatter and control the clubhead with pad of my right index finger.

I just want to add that for me, the breakthrough with NTC was as much about changing my mental image of the golf swing.

The "hard cast" with my wrists is the first move of the downswing. Not through the ball.
Was it the "Wait, this short of a swing can't be right, can it?" thought? I am a NTC swinger (need to do it more consistently.) and it definitely helped my game. It's just the feel of the backswing makes you think that you are hitting a chip shot with every iron. I've not video'd myself, but the feel I get from NTC is that I'm not chicken winging the left arm nearly as much as I used to. My hands used to "travel" down the target line with the butt of the club, instead of "stopping" at the point where the pivot of the wrists becomes the release. (Using a front view as an image.)

Was it the "Wait, this short of a swing can't be right, can it?" thought? I am a NTC swinger (need to do it more consistently.) and it definitely helped my game. It's just the feel of the backswing makes you think that you are hitting a chip shot with every iron. I've not video'd myself, but the feel I get from NTC is that I'm not chicken winging the left arm nearly as much as I used to. My hands used to "travel" down the target line with the butt of the club, instead of "stopping" at the point where the pivot of the wrists becomes the release. (Using a front view as an image.)

For me, my mental perception of the swing was trying to keep the clubhead on a fairly "linear" path. With NTC, I realized I had to "swing crooked to hit it straight." And, with more power than I had been generating...

For me, my mental perception of the swing was trying to keep the clubhead on a fairly "linear" path. With NTC, I realized I had to "swing crooked to hit it straight." And, with more power than I had been generating...
I can really generate some good speed with it, oddly enough. I have to work on being more consistent in it's use as I said. Sometimes I fat a shot by not getting the timing right. Other times, I feel the squish of the ball and off she goes.

The one thing I'll add to this thread is if you struggle with this, you should have your instructor make sure your club face is sufficiently closed at the top and on the way down. I have historically had a bad habit of fanning my club open on the takeaway. If your club face is too open, you cannot fix your swing path. Your brain won't let you, because if you swing inside out with a severely open face, the ball is going to go 90-degrees right. Your brain will force you to throw your upper body at it and flip to get the club going left in a desperate attempt to square the face.

Seeing whether someone is opening the face or not is difficult in real time. Video is the best way to see.

With a square face, your brain will know you can stay behind the ball, swing out to the right and still deliver a square club face.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE
You can download the Rebellion Golf app, then download the video to your device. Good luck!
Thanks.

The swing key that has worked best for is to think of skipping a stone on my downswing. It seems to achieve all the desired path keys- hips move to the left, right arm stays close to the right hip, and a good spine angle. I sure hope this lasts.

Back