Can a lighter shaft cause 14mph drop in club head speed?

BuffaloPlunger

2024 GolfTEC Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just hit the ZX7s with Modus 120 shaft. I normally play an S300 in my p760s. My club head speed dropped 14mph. Did the shaft cause this or maybe the sim is reading wrong?

my money is on the sim. those two profiles aren't that dissimilar. i have s300 in my 56 and modus 120 in my 50. gap perfectly.

14 mph drop is significant. Was the speed measured with both clubs on the same device? I'd usually expect to see an increase in swing speed using a lighter shaft (to a point).

my money is on the sim. those two profiles aren't that dissimilar. i have s300 in my 56 and modus 120 in my 50. gap perfectly.
Also wondering what type of simulator. @MONTANTK - how was club head speed measured?

14 mph drop is significant. Was the speed measured with both clubs on the same device? I'd usually expect to see an increase in swing speed using a lighter shaft (to a point).
That's what I was thinking - a lighter shaft should equate to an increase in swing speed, not a decrease.

My P760s have been measured on GC2 GCQuad and trackman. The ZX7s were on a GC2 at golf galaxy. All the other numbers seem accurate except clubhead speed and ball speed

My P760s have been measured on GC2 GCQuad and trackman. The ZX7s were on a GC2 at golf galaxy. All the other numbers seem accurate except clubhead speed and ball speed
Interesting, and did both GC2 have the HMT add-on?

The GC at Golf galaxy is off I would think. No way there should be a 14mph drop.

Out of curiosity what was the ball speed drop? Obviously it’s a reading issue or something odd going on, but curious on the ball part because it has to be massive

I will take a wild guess and say "no" to your question.

Sometimes a light shaft will cause you to not engage other muscles which may cause a loss in speed. But the differences in weight in your case are not that significant.

Out of curiosity what was the ball speed drop? Obviously it’s a reading issue or something odd going on, but curious on the ball part because it has to be massive
Ball speed was around 7-9mph slower

Interesting, and did both GC2 have the HMT add-on?
I don’t think so. I switched over to the s300 and clubhead speed did improve but it was still off by about 9mph. The sim is super old but their trackmans aren’t installed yet

Are you saying the clubhead speed was down 14 MPH, but the distance stayed the same?

Are you saying the clubhead speed was down 14 MPH, but the distance stayed the same?
Well no distance was down which was implied

Club head speed was 14 slower and ball speed was only 7-9? Weird.
I have a slightly higher launch so I would imagine that has something to do with it and I tend to average a 1.4-1.5 smash so that seems about right

Back