Can better shafts transform your game?

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Was talking to a GG rep today and he told me it's all about the shaft - flex and weight. I have been experimenting as I do not like my Alta Sr 65 gram shaft for a G400 3 wood. It made me think, we always work on technique. Are we over looking the right shaft and a better shaft? I then tried a Tense AV R 65 shaft in a Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood and I had much better strikes.

I think this double posted:

A different shaft can. Doesn't have to be "better"

I think a "better" shaft is nothing more than a properly fitted shaft. A lot of guys love the HZRDUS black, and I can't hit it to save my life.

I agree with this. Getting fit is the key. Is a 400 dollar shaft better than my stick shaft in my driver? Not if I can’t use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a "better" shaft is nothing more than a properly fitted shaft. A lot of guys love the HZRDUS black, and I can't hit it to save my life.
Ding ding ding. Could be a cheaper or something viewed as “inferior” but if it fits your game it’s certainly better.

I believe a properly fitted shaft helps but does not transform your game. Lots of practice and coaching is normally required to transform your game. When I finally got fit for irons they became easier to hit and my handicap went down a small margin but nothing close to what practice and lessons have done for me

Along the same lines, here's an interesting result. The data below are swings with a T200 6i club on the same day, back to back, with 2 different shafts. One was my gamer at the time. 2nd was the demo 6i with a new shaft.

This is the results of a 6i after getting fiitted originally when I bought my irons. This was the one I started with at the CC fitting.
1582175230794.png

This is the results of the same 6i with the shaft that is now in my irons. Same length, same lie, same loft.
1582175299488.png

That may not be trans-formative but it certain made a hell of a difference. Notice I make no mention of which shaft costs more or if they are off the shelf or exotic shafts. At the end of hte day, you find what works. If you can afford it, do it. If the best fit is the least costly, great. If they are too expensive, find the next best shaft you can afford. In the end, you still have to swing the damn thing so even the best shaft isn't going to fix a crappy swing. :)

Don't know about transform, but are certainly a big piece of the puzzle.

It’s all part of the grand scheme. There is a reason there are so many options for shafts, heads, etc. Everyone swings the club differently and finding the right combination of everything by being properly fit will certainly make an impact on each individual’s game. It is not the end all of course because practice, lessons, etc. all make a big difference as well. It is the same with putting. Your stroke can be fine but if you are gaming a toe hang putter and need a face balanced putter then you will suffer. The bottom line get fit for your game regardless and then put in the work.

A few playing partners said the TPT Golf Shaft transformed my driver game. I get a lot out of a 91-96 SS.

As to fairways, stock usually doesn't work - I want the feel to be lively and smooth, and get that darn ball in the air. GD AD F 55 and 65

Same with hybrid - a Tensei CK Pro Red 70 transformed my PXG hybrid to a smooth, high in the air club on which I can rely.

It is proper fitting, which gives you confidence.

I love getting fit and trying new shafts. I’m with the group here though that ultimately a “better” is simply one that fits your swing better. Historically for me personally, I always seem to find THE single most expensive shaft that gives me the best numbers :LOL:

Was talking to a GG rep today and he told me it's all about the shaft - flex and weight. I have been experimenting as I do not like my Alta Sr 65 gram shaft for a G400 3 wood. It made me think, we always work on technique. Are we over looking the right shaft and a better shaft? I then tried a Tense AV R 65 shaft in a Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood and I had much better strikes.

Assuming the player has a respectable, repeating swing, shaft weight is the most likely to "transform" one's game. Specifically, moving to a 10 grams heavier (or lighter) shaft may cause shots to carry longer (or shorter), improve (or worsen) accuracy, increase (or decrease) shot height trajectory.
After shaft weight, flex and design characteristics such as the shaft's torque rating, bend point, kick point etc... will transform shot making a bit.
Both of the above factors (weight and design characteristics) influence the player's swing as much as the shots.
Regarding expensive aftermarket shaft vs stock shaft, those differences are more relevant to feel (impact sound) than they are to transforming a player's swing or shot making.

That song...It's all about the base, about the base...…..Golf club is all about the shaft, about the shaft

No such thing as a 'better' shaft, just one that fits you and gives you the best out of your swing

I think a proper fitting can certainly help your game and give your equipment the ability to perform at it's very best for your swing. Transform your game though, man I'm not going to buy that unless you are putting in the work on your swing and have something consistent(which doesn't mean consistently good or textbook). I've played with @Desmond he's got a consistent swing and I believe that TPT shaft helped him get the most out of his driver.

Clubhead is more important that shaft
Shaft can help maximize performance for a club
Ball plays a huge roll in the whole thing as well

Simple answer is no. A shaft will not change your game. Your swing will still be your swing. A proper fit can minimize mistakes though.

Like others have said not necessarily better shafts but better fitted shafts is the key. Still got to put a good swing on it either way. I just got re-fitted at a Callaway Performance Center and ended up in the same heads but different shaft. Improved distance, increased spin, and ball height.

@DannyLe at UST Mamiya changed the way I get off the tee a few years ago and I haven't looked back since. Shaft change to my swing and it has been wonderful. If you have the opportunity to try different shafts when buying new equipment I highly recommend it.

I disagree with the idea that "getting fit" is a good method to find the best shaft for one's game, especially a driver shaft.
For example, if a player played two rounds of golf with a 50 gram shaft, two rounds with a 60 gram shaft, and two rounds with a 70 gram shaft he/she would learn a lot more about the effect those different weights have on his/her swing and shot making than he/she would learn by visiting a fitter and spending 45 making dozens of consecutive driver swings.

If we start questioning if better shafts don't transform our game - then we have to start to question why we are even"here"
If they don't physically, the do mentally, don't they?
IIRC - Club Champion starts with finding the Shaft and then adjust the heads to fit that shaft.

I think a proper fitting, with proper shafts will help better your game. Transform may be a bit of a strong term, but I do think it will help you play more consistent golf.

Listen to my instructor's current podcast episode - he addresses your question pretty well.

Club Champion TV ads mention something like a 2-3 shot benefit from fitting. I think that sounds about right for all but the low cappers who didn't get there with mis-fit equipment. It is very interesting how different shafts (matched with specific heads) can help people more consistently hit the center of the face. We all adapt -- the golfer is not an independent variable when it comes to equipment options -- but having the confidence from a fitting can go a long ways. I was watching a driver fitting a few days ago. Guy hit zero shots on target with his current driver. Massive spin killed distance too. After a few head and shaft adjustments, fitter had him in a setup where he was hitting consistent shots that would put him in the fairway a lot. Spin improved, better distance. Same swing. For right now that shaft with that head was a best for him. I think they also switched up ball too. Now if he gets over confident and goes out to play and starts swinging so hard his teeth fly out -- a sadly common thing we golfers do -- no fitting is going to help. :cool:

I think a proper fitting can certainly help your game and give your equipment the ability to perform at it's very best for your swing. Transform your game though, man I'm not going to buy that unless you are putting in the work on your swing and have something consistent(which doesn't mean consistently good or textbook). I've played with @Desmond he's got a consistent swing and I believe that TPT shaft helped him get the most out of his driver.

Clubhead is more important that shaft
Shaft can help maximize performance for a club
Ball plays a huge roll in the whole thing as well
Thank GAWD, another 2-3 years of lessons, and all of a sudden, the lessons are taking -- I actually look good swinging a club.

But yes, you will get the most out of your club with a shaft that performs and you enjoy - confidence is everything. I've changed every shaft in my bag - lol - and for valid reasons ... I like it smooth and lively.

But the clubhead is the beginning, then find the shaft.

Back