Can I get a ruling on this one?

gabuzo

Reaction score
Handicap
I just finished a round of match play where I won 1 up. On hole #5 my opponent hit his second shot from behind some trees. It was a drawing shot but the problem was that there is a water hazard down there and some narley brush left of the water. We couldn't find the ball, and niether of us saw it go into the water due to the trees. He and I both figured it went in the water so he took a drop from where he assumed his ball entered the hazard. Was this correct? I thought he should have declared his ball lost and went back and hit another one from his original spot.

If neither of you saw it enter the water I would agree with you.

Yup. You're right its a lost ball technically. However in that guys defense I would have tried that same move too. "well it clearly went in the water so I'm just gonna drop here." haha
More importnantly congrats on the win

I have to agree with the above. technically it is a lost ball. I thought that if you both agree that it went into the water then he could drop as if it had. but if you were not sure then i don't blame you at all.

nice win btw.

Part in bold answers your question
26-1. Ball in Water Hazard It is a question of fact whether a ball lost after having been struck toward a water hazard is lost inside or outside the hazard. In order to treat the ball as lost in the hazard, there must be reasonable evidence that the ball lodged in it. In the absence of such evidence, the ball must be treated as a lost ball and Rule 27 applies. If a ball is in or is lost in a water hazard (whether the ball lies in water or not), the player may under penalty of one stroke:

Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped. or As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than

(i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or

(ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole. The ball may be cleaned when lifted under this Rule. (Ball moving in water in a water hazard — see Rule 14-6.) 26-2. Ball Played Within Water Hazard

a. Ball Comes To Rest in The - Hazard If a ball played from within a water hazard comes to rest in the same hazard after the stroke, the player may:

proceed under Rule 26-1; or under penalty of one stroke, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the last stroke from outside the hazard was played (see Rule 20-5). If the player proceeds under Rule 26-1a, he may elect not to play the dropped ball. If he so elects, he may: Proceed under Rule 26-1b, adding the additional penalty of one stroke prescribed by that Rule;

or Proceed under Rule 26-1c, if applicable, adding the additional penalty of one stroke prescribed by that Rule;

or Add an additional penalty of one stroke and play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the last stroke from outside the hazard was played (see Rule 20-5).

Back