Can I resue an Aldila Rogue Silver 60, tipping question

kuyaariel

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Good morning. Have a quick question regarding the Aldila Rogue Silver 60 Stiff shaft that came standard in a Titleist 915D2 Driver.

The shaft snapped near the top of the adapter. I know I can't reuse it in a driver since it's basically tip trimmed a bunch, but can I now use this in a fairway wood? I have an Fusion 4 wood head (the one that came out in 2016) sitting around. I was wondering if I could use this? Trying to research the Titleist Surefit insertion depth, but getting anywhere from an inch to 1 3/8"? Also looked up tip trimming instructions and it says .5" for a 3 wood, and .75" for a 5 wood, but others say 1" tip for all fairway woods?

So, can anyone provide insight on how deep the Surefit adapter is, and if I can use this for a Fusion 4 wood, or would it play too stiff.

Thanks

Shafting depth on the surefit adapters is 1 3/8" Without the ferrule so you're looking at at least that amount if not 1.5" or so tipped on that shaft. If your shaft broke above the plastic ferrule that's pushing a 2" tip.

I've done that much on a couple shafts over the years. Works best in 5 and 7 woods to be honest, for most amateurs a 3 wood tipped 1.5" will play too stiff if the shaft was originally a good fit for the driver. every golfer varies though, and that's just based on my own experienced and the few friends/clients i've done work for.

I did tip an Aldila NV 2" and put in a 19* 5 wood, and it was an absolute missile that stayed in my bag for a couple years.

I would totally try it in the 4 wood. Which BB Fusion do you have? is it adjustable with an adapter or one of the older fusions that was glue-in? I guess the amount of work required would depend on what you're willing to do.

Or just cut/clean the shaft and save it for a 5 or 7 wood you might want to try.

Thank you for the response. The shaft broke above the adapter, not the ferrule. The ferrule was still on the shaft.
Work will be minimal on my part. I've put together more than my fair share of clubs, just don't know the logistics of this shaft

The Fusion 4 wood I have is the 2016. It's glued in. No adapter.

Inspect the tip and look for any fraying or delamination of fibers. Make a cut as close as you can to the break that leaves you with a clean tip to work with. Add up what you lost in the break and in the cut to see how tip stuff you’ll play in your 4w.

Back