Can I shorten a Stroke Lab shaft

Thank you for the swing weight info- very formative and useful.
I’ve decided to go with the 30 gram weight as it will make the head feel heavier- I prefer heavier over lighter.
So if I’m understanding correctly I’ve decreased SW by 12 by cutting it down 2", and increased by 4.5 by using a 9g heavier grip end set-up for a net of 7.5 SW decrease? Or are my calculations off?
Will that feel significantly different?
Flip that. Any weight you add to the butt end of a club will reduce the swing weight. The basic math is adding 2g of head weight = 1 SWP increase change, or adding 4g of grip end weight = 1SWP decrease. So adding weight to the head increases swing weight, while adding it to the butt end decreases it (by a smaller factor). The head weight rule moves around a bit based on club length also. Adding say 4g to a driver will change the SW more than adding 4g to a PW.
All that being said, SW is a very subjective thing. Some people will pick up on it far more than others. Some people will notice a total club weight change more than a swing weight change. Golfer dependent. But again regardless of what some people on here try to say, the putter is a different animal and the impact of swing weight will be less obvious in it. That is why if you look at pro golfers who put lead tape on their putters, it's almost always large amounts of it, not just a piece or two. It just takes more weight to make a difference with a putter.

Old thread. But I am bored and curious. Has anyone ever tried tip trimming a stroke lab shaft?

I didn’t shorten one but I pulled the grip off and the plug out. There would be no problem shortening one. I see @templeton80 has already done it but a little heat and the weight plug comes right out. Cut it down put the weight back in new grip and you are good to go.

I didn’t shorten one but I pulled the grip off and the plug out. There would be no problem shortening one. I see @templeton80 has already done it but a little heat and the weight plug comes right out. Cut it down put the weight back in new grip and you are good to go.
I am talking about trimming from the top end.

I am talking about trimming from the top end.

The end where the grip is or the end that goes into the head? I was talking about the end where the grip is. There was a weight plug in the top of the grip in my shaft made of brass.

Didn’t change it much if at all.

Gotcha. Just ordered a OG 7CH with a Stroke Lab that’s at 35” even though I play 34”. May leave it at 35” and use a 13” grip and see how little counter balance feels.

I think this is the one!!

🤣

Back