Can somebody please explain this to me? Rules/putters/grips related...

thepete

Reaction score
Handicap
+3
As some of you know, I recently got a SeeMore SB-1 bellyputter. I couldn't get exactly the length I wanted without going through their custom shop, waiting for shipment/assembly etc, so I got a 43" from a pro shop here in Sweden and just have to lengthen it to 45" which is what I want. I asked the pro at the tournament I'm at if he could help me and he told me that it wouldn't be legal to just stick a plug in it and put part of another grip on top. I looked something like :bulgy-eyes::bulgy-eyes: and later double-checked it with my mother, who is a referee.

Apparently you CAN have two grips...if they're both circular. But the grip on my putter is rounded with a flat top (ie where your thumbs go). So according to the rules I can't just plug on 2 inches, even if it's a similar looking grip, because I'd be in violation of The Rules(tm). I also have to have a 1.5 inch gap between the two grips, for some reason. So my only option now is to remove the grip, stick in the plug and put on a new grip.

This. Does. Not. Make. Any. Sense. To. Me. I also wanted to curse but I shall refrain.

that is an interesting rule. I never heard of it. At least all you have to do is remove the one grip, stick the extender in and regrip

I dread the part of trying to align a 21" grip.

I dread the part of trying to align a 21" grip.

I little tough, but not hard. I have shafted and gripped several long putters, but mainly with the round two piece grips. With those, I have found it much easier to install the longer lower piece before reshafting the head, pushing the grip up the shaft from the thinner tip end. I've had a few one piece long grips that were tough to push on, but with plenty of solvent, it works out.

As for the OP, the rule is what it is I guess. In your case, I would just pull the grip, which in itself can be tough given its length, but it can be done. Then simply lengthen the shaft and re-install the grip.

I have heard of this rule. I believe it is the same rule that forces you to have to completely remove the original grip from a putter in order to put on one of those super size grips. It can't just slip over the top of the existing grip. I don't know why this is important, maybe the thinking is that someone would hide a gyroscope or a katana or other device in the handle which would give them some advantage of some kind, not sure what but I agree it doesn't really make any sense to me either, and it is the reason I didn't want to ruin my putter with a super size grip if I decided later that I really didn't like the bigger grip.

I little tough, but not hard. I have shafted and gripped several long putters, but mainly with the round two piece grips. With those, I have found it much easier to install the longer lower piece before reshafting the head, pushing the grip up the shaft from the thinner tip end. I've had a few one piece long grips that were tough to push on, but with plenty of solvent, it works out.

As for the OP, the rule is what it is I guess. In your case, I would just pull the grip, which in itself can be tough given its length, but it can be done. Then simply lengthen the shaft and re-install the grip.

How do you remove the grip w/o cutting it off? Is there some kind of solvent?

Back