Can someone recommend a cart for me?

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
At some point, I need to start exercising more and walking on the course might do the trick. However, I've always taken an electric cart. Plus, I have a chronic bad back. I suspect a push cart is better for a golfer with back pain? Also, what is a good cart for smoothness with less effort to push it? Also, from a cost perspective and performance and based on a quick look at DSG, I may have to spend $250.00 for a good one? This is a totally new space to me despite many years of golfing. Thanks! CG

If you don’t want to spring for a Bag Boy or Clicgear, I can definitely recommend a CaddyTek! Got a pair for my parents this year and they’re big fans.

Caddytek CaddyLite 11.5 V3 3 Wheel Golf Push Cart - SuperLite Deluxe, Lightweight, Easy To Fold Caddy Cart Pushcart

I’ve had my CaddyTek for 3 years now and aside from lubricating the wheels, it’s been great!

I have used two in the past and both were awesome, Sun Mountain 3 Wheel and the Bag Boy Quad. I still have them both along with a MGI Remote cart, needles to say the push carts have been sitting since i bought the remote. I bought the Sun mountain, The Bag Boy was a gift and i used it for 5 years, still in good shape.

Bag Bou Nitron and it’s not close barring going with electric like MotoCaddy

Bag Boy Nitron and it’s not close barring going with electric like MotoCaddy
That was my choice as well. They seem to be the best option! I would be willing to upgrade if I walked more/friends walked

FIFY

Reactions: JB
Fwiw, I also got one of the MGI remote ones and I definitely think was well worth the investment. I got some hills I need to go up and down and pushing/carrying gets old quickly.

If you don’t want to spring for a Bag Boy or Clicgear, I can definitely recommend a CaddyTek! Got a pair for my parents this year and they’re big fans.

Caddytek CaddyLite 11.5 V3 3 Wheel Golf Push Cart - SuperLite Deluxe, Lightweight, Easy To Fold Caddy Cart Pushcart

I bought that one as a “like new” item on Amazon for $80

agree

My nitron is rock solid and the locking system with a bagboy bag is so legit. For years I had a great cart but with bag twist. The Nitron with a bagboy bag ended that situation for ever. You don't even need straps to hold your bag on the cart

Another vote for Bag Boy Nitron.

At some point, I need to start exercising more and walking on the course might do the trick. However, I've always taken an electric cart. Plus, I have a chronic bad back. I suspect a push cart is better for a golfer with back pain? Also, what is a good cart for smoothness with less effort to push it? Also, from a cost perspective and performance and based on a quick look at DSG, I may have to spend $250.00 for a good one? This is a totally new space to me despite many years of golfing. Thanks! CG
I got a TGW brand and it is awesome. Have had it for about 2 years. I noticed the other day they no longer sell it and thought that was odd as the reviews were excellent. It is easy to push and I think I paid under 200 on sale. IMO parking brakes, cooler, adequate storage, quick setup/take down, and swivel front wheel are a must.

Have an old Sun Mountain that works well, three wheel. Also have an Orlimar that doesn't roll nearly as easy.

I have a ClicGear 3.0 that my wife surprised me with at Christmas a few years ago. It's probably 4-5 years old, and it is a TANK!!
I did replace the hill break last winter (you can buy a kit from ClicGear's website), but it is not as effective as the original....probably
"installer error!" Otherwise, I love this thing....easy to push, easy to open, and folds down into a relatively small hunk to tuck away in the trunk.
I think it costs a little more than other carts, but it is really sturdy and has held up well....

For the bag boy nitro peeps what makes it so much better than the clickgear? I love my CG but it’s the only one I have ever tried and I’m in the market for a new one.

Wow! I wouldn't begin to make a recommendation without knowing more about your play and requirements. If you are planning to use it with your current bag, it would help to know the specifics of that bag. If you are planning to get a new bag to use with the cart, your bag preferences and requirements would be helpful.

Knowing how often you play and on what kind of terrain would also be helpful. Push/pull carts vary in terms of stability and the types of wheels they have, which makes them well suited for some environments and I'll suited for others. Also, some carts are built for long term reliability others not so much, or focus on a low cost. If you plan to play with a cart 5 times a year or 100 times a year that will matter in your selection of a cart.

Finally, what are your space constraints for your vehicle and other storage plans? Some players always have their cart in their vehicle. Others only do so for transport and have another place at home or work they use to store their cart and other golf equipment.

For the bag boy nitro peeps what makes it so much better than the clickgear? I love my CG but it’s the only one I have ever tried and I’m in the market for a new one.
Stability and balance slightly and one button super charged open the other.

Agree with @JB on this, remote cart is best option if you want to walk and minimize back strain and walking will strengthen your core thus your back will over time be better. Pushing a cart will be more work on your back especially if course is hilly (up and down).

I have had remote carts for almost 10 years and my latest cart bit the dust at the beginning of this year and can’t afford to replace so I have been pushing my original Clicgear most of this year (est. 80+ rounds) and I am definitely more tired and stiff after pushing a cart vs. using a remote cart.

I'm an analysis paralysis guy and spent much time looking at the clicgear and the Nitron, while the seemed to be a bit more solid I opted for a Caddytek similar to the one below. Ive seen all three units side by side, and while i could see the clicgear especially and the Nitron may have had a few more refinements, I didn't think any of those would impact usage or durability. Found it for 169.99 seems durable, zero problems after using it all year. Honestly never once during usage or after use, wished I purchased the Nitron or clicgear. It's a fine unit.

Also i have walked 100% of my rounds this year, so it does get used.

https://caddytek.myshopify.com/prod...z-v8-ez-fold-3-wheel-golf-push-cart-version-8

Last edited:
Bag Boy looks good. I've got a brand that looks similar without the power assist - don't really need a power assist with mine, it's light.

Bag Boy Nitron here, and its been rock solid.

Just know that some bags don't fit on it (my Titleist) and require adjusting straps and clamping them down. It works, just might bother some that it won't sit perfect.

Stability and balance slightly and one button super charged open the other.
That one button open would be really nice, open/close mechanism is the only thing I don’t like about the cg. It’s so awkward and I always look like a fool in the parking lot.

Electric Carts
You've indicated exercise is your main motivation for wanting to get out of a riding cart. Just know that an electric or remote controlled cart will take away much of those exercise benefits. A few studies have been done comparing the exercise benefits of various ways of playing a round of golf. Riding in a cart consumes about 400-600 calories per round. Walking with a caddie carrying your bag or a remote controlled cart increases your calorie consumption by about 200 calories over riding. Using a manual push/pull cart is in the range of 800-1200 calories used. Walking and carrying your bag is in the range of 1800-2400 calories. There are similar differences in heart rate elevation and other exercise benefits. Now with your back I know walking and carrying is out. But the exercise benefit from pushing/pulling a cart is substantial.

I owned a sun mountain for 20 years.. When I was in the market, I looked at the nitro and the GC. The reason I went Nitro was twofold. I wanted the option of putting a bag on the cart and eliminating bag twist. bag twist was my reason to give the 20 year old sunmountain to my friend. the second reason was that the CG has the umbrella mount in the center of the grip. I put my left hand in that location and push with one hand most of the time. The Nitro let me do that. So I bought the Nitro sight unseen.

what surprised me about the nitro is that it is built very solid even if it does not look like a ford 350 and the nitrogen shock impresses all my friends. Like 3 seconds to setup the cart. maybe 15 to take it down. Fold down to a simliar size as a propain tank for your grill

I owned a sun mountain for 20 years.. When I was in the market, I looked at the nitro and the GC. The reason I went Nitro was twofold. I wanted the option of putting a bag on the cart and eliminating bag twist. bag twist was my reason to give the 20 year old sunmountain to my friend. the second reason was that the CG has the umbrella mount in the center of the grip. I put my left hand in that location and push with one hand most of the time. The Nitro let me do that. So I bought the Nitro sight unseen.

what surprised me about the nitro is that it is built very solid even if it does not look like a ford 350 and the nitrogen shock impresses all my friends. Like 3 seconds to setup the cart. maybe 15 to take it down. Fold down to a simliar size as a propain tank for your grill
Does the nitro keep a stand bag stable?

I have a stand bag and it always twists on the cg. My friends have cart bags that are stable on the cg but the stand bag just doesn’t sit well with the legs.

Back