Can this putter shaft be fixed?

KEV

Proud 2018 The Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
This week I bought an Odyssey Rossie and tonight I noticed that the shaft has a little bend in it. When standing over the ball you can see a curve in it. There doesn't appear to be a kink or anything, it's just a gentle bend. I'll post some pictures but not sure how visible it will be.

Does anyone have any suggestions on if or how I might be able to fix this or is this likely going to require a reshaft?

6B243665-8FB5-4454-8C88-C4AD41BAE63A.jpeg5141073D-9FD4-40B2-A323-F8E7135FF874.jpegD8A411C3-D23A-4F98-B31A-BF9AFB85C20D.jpeg

I can see it but don't have any suggestions, unfortunately. I would probably either ask for a replacement, refund or at least partial refund to cover the cost of the fix or reshaft.

Definitely noticeable. My guess is it was laying on the ground and the shaft got stepped on. Not sure how you could straighten and get that to stay straight again.

I'd reshaft.

Reshaft would be a option although being a double bend shaft it could be finicky getting the proper positioning or stick in a vise (rubber clamp or towel) to slowly work the bow out by bending little by little at the bow working from the head side to the grip end applying pressure to bend the bow out slowly.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I figured replacement was what it would probably come down to but was hoping for a cheaper alternative. Oh well, I guess it gives me something to do.

Metal has memory. It will never be straight again. A re-shaft is the only way to fix it.

Metal has memory. It will never be straight again. A re-shaft is the only way to fix it.
It can't remember when it was straight? :ROFLMAO:

That's a reshaft.

Maybe I should just try sending it somewhere to make my dream come true and have a center shaft welded on.

In the 1980s, when you bent a shaft, we would rub a towel down on the bend really fast to create friction and heat the shaft up. Don’t know if it would work but worth a try if your buying a new shaft anyway. Unless it’s under warranty.

Maybe I should just try sending it somewhere to make my dream come true and have a center shaft welded on.
Hahaha. Like a putter wizard

How's that for a sophisticated shaft bender? It's actually quite a bit better, I may have overdone it just a smidge but I think I can get it back. I just need to get to a putting green to really tell how close it is.

BB5D0969-822C-4CDB-AE50-886012F8BE88.jpeg

I had the same issue and fixed it with 4 crisp $100 bills ..... bought a new one

How's that for a sophisticated shaft bender? It's actually quite a bit better, I may have overdone it just a smidge but I think I can get it back. I just need to get to a putting green to really tell how close it is.

View attachment 8965727
What kind of a setup you got going there, what is all that, take a picture of that table, what is that a torture device?

Odds are you need to replace the shaft. I've only had this type of subtle bend 3 times or so and once I was able to correct it by luck.

Rub the shaft with your hands pretty aggressively to warm it. You can use a towel too. Set the putter at address and put your foot in front of the face, hold grip with one hand, place free hand on shaft and gently "push" on parts of the shaft to try to bend it back. you might soften that bend a bit but I doubt it will be perfect. you might have to go back and forth between "warming" the shaft and bending, but they do move. Don't be too aggressive and bend over your knee or something because you could just end up snapping it. Putter shafts generally aren't as strong as iron shafts.

One time, on a 5-iron...I got it so that it didnt look bent at all. Might not have been 100% but my eye couldn't spot it. Other times I just created more bends.

What kind of a setup you got going there, what is all that, take a picture of that table, what is that a torture device?

It's a pretty simple bench I bought from Harbor Freight awhile back. I put some wheels under it to make it portable.
DE97F1E8-2C58-49E5-A140-18DDC0EF91E0.jpeg

Back