can this really be real

texasaggie

Reaction score
Handicap
Have you ever had a friend or playing partner bend the rules so bad that you were totally embarrassed to be playing with him or her.Today my friend hit in a sand bunker, first thing he does is ground his club,another player told him that was one stoke.Then he takes his foot and drags behind the ball.I just acted like I didn't know him.Oh and to make matters worse he argued with the others players till one of them quit. :embarrassed:

I used to play with a good friend (he has since moved to a different city) who couldn’t seem to count his shots correctly. If he really got an 8 it was a 6. Bogeys became pars. On and on. I didn’t really care when it was just us or other people who knew him but when we played with people that didn’t know him it got a little embarrassing.

Was there a bet on the round or was it just a friendly casual round?
started out friendly. But after he drug his foot behind the ball in the sand trap,all kinds of rules started (you can't do this you can't do that)I figured its his game (my friend) but he is the guy that counts strangers strokes so I guess they were trying to get back.I just hated to see the guy quit.

If it was a "for real" round then yea I prolly would have told him to shut up and go home if he was gonna be that way or just make a mental note to never play "for real" with him again. If it was just a goof off round I would have tried to explain what he did etc but not worry aout it as much.

It was a for real round,I guess it wasn't right for the other guy to say anything.He probably hopes he never gets paired with us again.

Your playing partner sounds pretty childish. Id find a new golf buddy if it were me.
Im all for being loose with the rules if its just a casual round.

Your playing partner sounds pretty childish. Id find a new golf buddy if it were me.
Im all for being loose with the rules if its just a casual round.

I think you have some good advice,here lately he has been pretty rude to other people Thanks I just had vent a little

Nothing like a little tension to ruin a good day on the course, I don't count other peoples strokes or tell them if they are breaking the rules. They can play however they want as long as there isn't anything on the line.

The only ones I can remember both involve drinking. Players that get completely hammered and show no respect for the game. First was a guy I worked with many years ago who would show up drunk at 10 in the morning, play terrible, curse and throw clubs, hated that guy and quickly found a different group to play with.

The next was a guy who was a friend of a friend and upon meeting him on the first tee he seemed like a nice guy and was a decent player(bogey golfer). However, he was drunk by the 10th hole and then began his drunken tough guy routine.... Teed off using an empty beer can as a tee on one hole(which was kind of funny, but the other stuff is what got me). Poured beer on one tee box "in honor of his hommies that couldn't be there" as he was teeing off. Then he proceeded to relieve himself on the 18th tee box!! In plan view of the houses and driving range none the less. The first two were kinda funny but in looking back they were just more reasons not to play with the guy.

In most situations it is usually a good thing for folks to just mind there own business. Anything said, or done is not going to help matters. I see things all the time that shouldn't happen on a golf course, and could care less. I'm out there to enjoy myself, and hopefully hit a few good shots. Me thinking about others' actions will not allow me to hit those good shots.

Playing in match that is sanctioned is different story, and there are rules already in place to handle those issues. :cool:

Nothing like a little tension to ruin a good day on the course, I don't count other peoples strokes or tell them if they are breaking the rules. They can play however they want as long as there isn't anything on the line.

I don't think my friend should count other peoples strokes either.These people paid the fee's and in my opinion are in titled to play their round (it's not there fault that the ended up playing with us:smile-big:)anyway looking for a new playing partner.

In most situations it is usually a good thing for folks to just mind there own business. Anything said, or done is not going to help matters. I see things all the time that shouldn't happen on a golf course, and could care less. I'm out there to enjoy myself, and hopefully hit a few good shots. Me thinking about others' actions will not allow me to hit those good shots.

Playing in match that is sanctioned is different story, and there are rules already in place to handle those issues. :cool:

QFT!*

*(As happens frequently I might add! :D)

I don't think my friend should count other peoples strokes either.These people paid the fee's and in my opinion are in titled to play their round (it's not there fault that the ended up playing with us:smile-big:)anyway looking for a new playing partner.

That is probably a wise choice.:yin-yang:

I don't see the big deal with grounding a club in the bunker, sure it's against the "official rules" but I don't see what if any advantage could be gained by it.

I don't see the big deal with grounding a club in the bunker, sure it's against the "official rules" but I don't see what if any advantage could be gained by it.

It gives you a cleaner strike at the ball. Like mashing down rough behind a ball until it stays down. Bunkers are meant to be penal. Grounding the club mitigates that penalty.

If grounding doesn't provide an advantage, why do it?

It's definitely against the rules, but to call a guy out on it in a casual round is a bit over the top. It sounds like there were other things going on before and after this incident though.

It's definitely against the rules, but to call a guy out on it in a casual round is a bit over the top. It sounds like there were other things going on before and after this incident though.

Agreed. Unless there is money on the line, or it is a friend who you suspect may simply not know the rule (that's how I initially learned the rule), why even bring it up?

True this was a match between my partner and myself,the other guy didn't have a right to say anything I guess.I think he may of been mad cause my partner kept counting his strokes .What surprised me was my partner taking his foot and dragging it behind the ball after the guy said it was a penalty I guess he did this to either help his lie or mock the other guy.

It gives you a cleaner strike at the ball. Like mashing down rough behind a ball until it stays down. Bunkers are meant to be penal. Grounding the club mitigates that penalty.

If grounding doesn't provide an advantage, why do it?

Kenny Perry is allowed to do it during tournaments, why not the rest of us?

Back