Can You Gauge How Good A Player is By Their Equipment & Looks?

TMAdidas

Reaction score
Handicap
So I was up at the club during my luck break and after practicing I went in to say hi to the club pro, and noticed his clubs in the back. I saw how his clubs were a pretty solid mix of newer models as well as some pretty old clubs (he's sponsored by Taylormade, so I'm talking RBZ 3-wood, ATV wedges, an old Rossa Daytona Putter and a rusty Vokey in the mix with some PSI irons and an M1 driver). When I asked him about it, he said that a lot of players with all new equipment are posers. So on the drive back to classes, it got me thinking. Scenario: A guy walks up to you on the first tee, and asks if u wanna play for a buck or two a hole. You haven't seen him hit or put before. You only see his clubs, his bag, and the clothes he's wearing. What makes you think either "I can totally beat this guy", or "this guy is a player for sure". What does the scratch golfer have in his bag/ wearing that a lesser player does not? I thought it would be fun to share our (mis?)conceptions about what a great golfer looks like on the course. I'll go first. In my opinion, I'm scared of a guy who has:

Driver: Titleist, or an expensive shaft
Fairway: Something old like a Taylormade V Steel, or any 13*-14* 3 wood.
Hybrid: Small and compact. Perhaps a 5 wood or a 3 iron in its place.
Irons: Musclebacks or something like a bit bigger like Mizuno Mp-64. But they can't be shiny. Things gotta look worn and beat up, but with a consistent ball mark in the center of the face.
Wedges: Old, worn, rusty Clevelands or Vokey's. Alternatively, anything with custom standings, of a newer Vokey TVD.
Putter: A Scotty, but only an old one. Same thing with a Ping Anser. Also, any smaller name boutique brand (Toulon, Bellum Winmore, Piretti, even Bettinardi). Odyssey #9 style is also intimidating.
Bag: Small, lightweight bag. Ping hoofer, titleist lightweight, Sun mountain three 5 etc. if they're riding, it makes me less scared. If they have a cart bag, I'm not intimidated at all.
Clothes: Pants when it's hot out is intimidating for some reason, probably the PGA tour connotation of no shorts. For some reason, I find a visor instead of a hat intimidating as well.
Misc: No headcovers, or sock headcovers for some reason seem to scream "player" to me. Stock headcovers seem rather poser-ish for some reason. Also, aftermarket grips, especially multi-compounds or anything cord seems inimidating. Classic Footjoys such as Icons also say "I came to play".

These are just some of the things I think of when I imagine a scratch golfer vs an average player. Obviously these are generalizations, and none of them really mean anything more than conjecture. Just curious what someone else thinks of when a stranger asks them for a match and they have to gauge their skill based only on appearances.

I honestly don't assume I can/can't beat anyone. Who knows what golf holds for me that day. One day a guy can shoot a course record, and the next be 10 over par.

If you are thinking all these things about something else, imagine what they are thinking about you.

When a guy drives up with iron covers, a ball retriever, and an xE1 wedge, I'm glad I wear Depends...

I honestly can't. Guys I play with have some gnarly stuff that have been in their bags longer than I've been alive and are shooting in the 70's. Then people see someone like me with all pristine clubs and dressed the part, but I suck.

NO! Just because a guy LOOKS like a Tour Pro and has a Staff bag and set up like a Tour Pro, doesn't mean he's going to play like one! I've seen that time and time again in the years I worked at the golf course I did. Other side of that coin is the guy who doesn't look like one, and plays like one!

If he looks anything like this, I immediately ask for $10 a hole, all the junk, and unlimited presses. Seriously, all newer clubs of one brand are usually a dead giveaway for a poser. If he has lead tape on irons or woods or an old 8802 or Bullseye putter, BEWARE.

TourPoser.jpg

If he looks anything like this, I immediately ask for $10 a hole, all the junk, and unlimited presses. Seriously, all newer clubs of one brand are usually a dead giveaway for a poser. If he has lead tape on irons or woods or an old 8802 or Bullseye putter, BEWARE.

TourPoser.jpg
Yep. I'm a poser.

No way. I routinely play with guy who sports an entire bag of Top Flite (rust on irons) and throws down a Noodle, and shoots a +6 to +12 on any course we step on. Granted, he's been playing for 20+ years straight but it's quite the site. Meanwhile, I shoot 91-95 when it's all going good and I wipe my iron heads down after every hit. It's insane - hahaha. What a great game.

I've been surprised in every which way by guys I've played with, so I'm going to say no.

Can you gauge? Sure.

Is it smart? No...quite dumb to be precise.

Sometimes I find myself assuming that people who have everything from one OEM are newer to the game and most likely just went to a golf store and bought the clubs. But you know what they say about assumptions...

Never! I play golf for fun! That other stuff just gets in the way!!

Yep. I'm a poser.
Good stuff but that #25 kept me from scoring a 0 - hahaha. I scored a 1 so guess I'm safe.

When a guy drives up with iron covers, a ball retriever, and an xE1 wedge, I'm glad I wear Depends...
xE1 wedge? That made me chuckle - haha!

This kind of stuff drives me crazy and I make sure that I never judge a golfer based on his gear or wardrobe.
I've had my ass kicked by guys from all over the "looks" spectrum, and I've seen plenty of guys with worn out clubs play like crap.

What is it about the Golf Course that turns grown men into judgemental little girls I'll never understand. My dad is the worst for this and it's always bothered me.

Who would you rather play with? A fun loving, golf club ho poser? Or a Scratch player with a judgmental attitude?

Misc: No headcovers

That is the exact opposite for me. Because no headcovers to me means you don't care about your stuff (IMO). Most (not all) of the people I've come across that never put headcovers on are really bad at golf and probably only play a few times a year.

Nope, I played last Thursday with a buddy of mine and 2 of his friends I had never played with before. The guy in question looked like the lead singer of the Spin Doctors. His stand bag looked like he dragged it to the course behind a horse and carriage, old Ping irons rust and all. Plays to a 2.9... Had the smoothest swing i had ever witnessed in person. Guy could clean up in money games if he wanted.

This kind of stuff drives me crazy and I make sure that I never judge a golfer based on his gear or wardrobe.
I've had my ass kicked by guys from all over the "looks" spectrum, and I've seen plenty of guys with worn out clubs play like crap.

What is it about the Golf Course that turns grown men into judgemental little girls I'll never understand. My dad is the worst for this and it's always bothered me.

Who would you rather play with? A fun loving, golf club ho poser? Or a Scratch player with a judgmental attitude?
Can't say it any better than this. I was going to just say, I never judge someone's ability by their clubs, good or bad.

I feel like I know someone like this... Guy buys new clubs every other day. I dont want to mention any names (jrex) :laughing:

Amen brotha, I'll take the fun loving golf club poser any day over the judgemental "scratch" playing prick every single time.

Could you guess probably but I've seen old dudes with early 90s equipment shoot even par.

Absolutely not! We have a guy in our men's club that looks just this side of homeless. He wears a t-shirt, cargo shorts and does not wear shoes, yet he's right around par every time. Heck one of my best friends plays with an original GBB and old no-name irons to boot, he plays to a mid single digit cap with ease.

I'd be wary of any stranger walking up and asking to play for money. That seems to scream "this guy is a douche and this will not be a pleasant round".

Definitely cannot - I have seen people with a staff bag, MBs and custom clubs shoot well into the 100s....then on the flip side I have seen a player with "older" clubs shoot near scratch....

v7EJ_f-maxage-0.gif

Back