Can you judge a book (golfer) by its cover (clubs)?

Right?

In college I brought a shiny new Strat, bunch of pedals and a sexy Marshall 2x12 to a blues jam, and proceeded to get taken to the woodshed by a guy with a Gibson 335 and a Princeton, and another guy with a MIM Strat and a Pignose. Stuck with me.
Those are the guitar equivalent of "old wedges with new grips", and, "a guy with a deep tan and a 2-iron in his bag".

Edit: although I bet that 335/Princeton sounded awesome.

When I am on the first tee with people I don't know, I always assume they can play the game until I actually see them play a few holes.

any kind of mixed set - dude knows something about equipment
20 year old putter with everything else brand new - 4 handicap at worst
brand new putter with everything else brand new - sandbagger
Stickers on driver shaft - vanity cap
pxg clubs - will pickup 4 footers and call them good
Staff bag - high single digit cap that thinks hes scratch
Lmao, this is why I leave stickers on almost everything. People make assumptions and it always works out in my favor ;):LOL:

When I am on the first tee with people I don't know, I always assume they can play the game until I actually see them play a few holes.
Pretty safe plan.

Those are the guitar equivalent of "old wedges with new grips", and, "a guy with a deep tan and a 2-iron in his bag".

Edit: although I bet that 335/Princeton sounded awesome.

That is the equivalent; no doubt. I am now the Old Guy with the G&L in a gig bag, a Tube Screamer and a beat up Fender Champ.

Kinda like my 8 clubs in a Sunday bag that I carry around the course sometimes, haha.

That is the equivalent; no doubt. I am now the Old Guy with the G&L in a gig bag, a Tube Screamer and a beat up Fender Champ.

Kinda like my 8 clubs in a Sunday bag that I carry around the course sometimes, haha.
That is a total "OK, kid, let me show you how it's done." rig.

Lmao, this is why I leave stickers on almost everything. People make assumptions and it always works out in my favor ;):LOL:
I thought leaving stickers on was to make it easier for stores to put them back out on the shelf when you take them back because you are quitting golf forever after a bad round????? :ROFLMAO:

I thought leaving stickers on was to make it easier for stores to put them back out on the shelf when you take them back because you are quitting golf forever after a bad round????? :ROFLMAO:
Haha! Definitely a strategy for some, get that playability guarantee :LOL:

The best putter I knew had and always used an Acushnet Bulls Eye Putter. Around a six handicap and an assassin on the greens. Im sure a lot of people who played with him for the first time made assumptions when they saw it in his bag or he walked up to the first green with it. Lol they learned quickly

I usually wait until after a hole or two before I take much interest in a players bag. By then you see how they swing and then I am curious what they are playing.

It is also a One Trip In From the Car rig.
AKA "Old Guy Rig"? Lol. As a bass player, the greatest thing of all time is Class-D power.

I dont know enough about clubs really to do that, so I just wait until after the first hole before judging haha. But you cant judge after the first tee shot, thats not fair.

I play with a guy at our club.... he's probably be 75-76 yrs old.... nice guy, very unassuming.
Look in his bag and many will scoff.... he plays older Warrior Irons (not sure on his "woods", but they're not new either).
I believe his ball of choice is Spalding Strata.... I would venture to guess that not many of us here would choose that setup for our bag(s). This guy is a shark.

Get paired with him and you are going to be amazed with the shots he can hit and length off the tee, at 75-ish years of age, is VERY impressive.
Play a little longer with him and you'll hear stories of his days playing semi pro baseball and basketball.... (all overlapping time periods).
Yeah... this guys a real athlete. Held course records at 3, maybe 4 courses... and still has the course record where I play and that card has been on the wall since the early 90's.

sun faded bag and ping eye2 irons - you're getting taken to school on how to play.
brand new Taylor Made clubs, putter, balls and bag - will be thrilled to break triple digits.
Playing XXIO clubs - solid high single digit that if you have to bet against, play from the tips to minimize the fact they will be 175 yards down the middle from the tee all day long....

You can not. One of the best senior players I have ever played with didn't look like a golfer at all. He wore jeans, tshirts and carried a raggedy old Sunday bag. He then would go out and chip and putt like crazy and kick my ass. So good!

If you walked to him on the tee, you would never guess it.

For the most part- if I see a set of $1500 irons, $700 Gold Driver, $500 putter, staff bag, iron covers and a $400 GPS Watch on a $40 municipal course, I am in for a LONG day. Because every shot will involve a preshot routine that will involve every lesson they took, with 8 or 9 practice swings. And then repeated 30 yds later after the topped previous shot.

Back