Can you judge a book (golfer) by its cover (clubs)?

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
You’re on the first tee with someone you’ve not played with before and you don’t know their handicap...

You take a peek at the clubs in their bag... What things would influence your assumptions/predictions about their skill set?

Ever done this and being completely wrong? 😊

Played many times with people who have the latest and greatest, but couldn't break 100 if you gave them a shot a hole. Also seen someone shoot a 70 with Ping eye 2's and a Hawkeye vet driver. It's mostly the Indian, not the arrow.

any kind of mixed set - dude knows something about equipment
20 year old putter with everything else brand new - 4 handicap at worst
brand new putter with everything else brand new - sandbagger
Stickers on driver shaft - vanity cap
pxg clubs - will pickup 4 footers and call them good
Staff bag - high single digit cap that thinks hes scratch

Any set of irons with worn out sweetspots and an old putter usually points to someone that can play.

Someone with a small carry bag can usually play also.

There is frequently an inverse relationship between bag size and quality of golf at least in New England where I play. If you live somewhere that is always in carts that might be different.

The actual bag is where I make assumptions now. That can at least tell you if someone is a beginner or been playing a while.

any kind of mixed set - dude knows something about equipment
20 year old putter with everything else brand new - 4 handicap at worst
brand new putter with everything else brand new - sandbagger
Stickers on driver shaft - vanity cap
pxg clubs - will pickup 4 footers and call them good
Staff bag - high single digit cap that thinks hes scratch
My experience of PXG-clad golfers is that they’re either outstanding players or awful players...

You should never assume anything about anyone!

Played many times with people who have the latest and greatest, but couldn't break 100 if you gave them a shot a hole. Also seen someone shoot a 70 with Ping eye 2's and a Hawkeye vet driver. It's mostly the Indian, not the arrow.

This is exactly my experience. I can sometimes tell high index players by their clubs but it's very difficult for me to spot low index players from what's in their bag. Seeing them swing and expecially playing 4-5 holes with them tells me a lot more about their scoring ability.

It can be deceiving; looking at you Mr. All the Gear No Idea

Sometimes older OEM clubs can indicate a decent golfer. The face of the irons might also give a clue - if the wear marks are centered it would be a good sign. As a kid, when I caddied for miscellaneous outings, we would cringe when we saw a brand new bag with brand new clubs. Not a good sign.

After trying to figure out this exact question over the years, I have come to the conclusion to worry more about me than the others in the group.

I love these threads and encourage all these assumptions to be made by everyone, all the time, everywhere. I thrive on them! :p

Don't bet against the guys with worn out spots and carries only 7 clubs.

Last edited:
I love these threads and encourage all these assumptions to be made by everyone, all the time, everywhere. I thrive on them! :p
Your bags look like you are either a + or a 20 plus with $$$$$$ to burn

Not at all

Your bags look like you are either a + or a 20 plus with $$$$$$ to burn
It's the second one. I promise. ;)

I need to swap out my Apex MB's though. They're telling a little too much truth these days.

When the irons have a combined half-pound of grass and dirt caked on them it's pretty safe to say he/she is only a once or twice a year golfer. Although I have one or two guys in my regular group who would defeat that assumption.

Like the chef and GenErr, I'm first looking at the faces to see where they strike the ball. If it's concentrated around the sweet spot that tells me they can play. If not and their driver and fairway clubs are all dinged up where the face and crown come together--not so much.

The age of the grips can be an indicator if they are hard and worn like they were just purchased from a garage sale. No game. But if the grips are new or recent, you haven't learned anything useful.

The age and quality of the clubs tells you absolutely nothing about their game. But it may tell you something about their buying habits.

I usually don’t make assumptions since they can be proven wrong all too easily. I’d rather let play do the talking.

That said, I’ll shoot the breeze with anyone about clubs or gear!

I don’t look at the other player’s gear. Not a concern of mine.

If they spend the first 10 minutes TELLING me about their gear… in my experience, I don’t expect much from their actual game… in fact, those guys tend to be the ones blaming their equipment after a bad shot a few minutes later.

I make no judgments.

His clubs may fit him to a tee.

Some of mine that are new may not fit me. I'm the one who is embarrassed.

Back