Can you remember the first club(s) you bought?

camden_kid

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I have just bought my first club today from eBay after encouragement from kind commenters to my Check In Desk post. It is a second-hand TaylorMade Est 79 Putter. It feels good to have started on the road and I'm looking forward to getting it in my hands and knocking a ball.

What was the first club or set you bought?

Big Bertha Warbird driver! I was 15 or 16. Can't quite remember. I worked as a gopher for a handiman and saved up my pennies and bought that bad boy. It was my pride and joy at the time!

I remember buying a bunch of crappy Kmart and Walmart clubs early on. I remember how excited I was when I bought my first titanium driver from Walmart I think it was. Boy that thing wouldn't stay on the planet! Even back then I went through putter after putter too.

I think my first big brand club was a set of Cobra Gravity Back irons. I loved those things and played them for years.

Yep...remember just like it was yesterday.

my grandpa is the one that started me in golf, he bought me lots of clubs over the years, the first clubs i actually purchased myself were the 855 tommy armour silver scot irons.

Taylormade Tour Preferred Irons from a former SR tour player. $200

Garage sale mixed bag of goodies for $35

Wilson Prestige Oversized from K-Mart.

1603736615743.png

King Cobra UFi irons. Straight from eBay hah.

Yes. it was somewhere around 2008/9. I was running a Yellowstone focused science, education, and outreach institute with a national board. One of the members organized a golf "meeting" at the Yellowstone Club in Big Sky. The board provided strategic advice but was mostly about fundraising, and this was an opportunity to meet potential donors. I went to a local golf shop and bought clubs from their floor inventory: a SM bag, a Cleveland driver, a ping hybrid, some GI TM irons, a Callaway SW, and TM putter. I didn't even buy a full bag of clubs. I had a modest intro to golf as a kid decades prior and expected I was just going to go out and be a good golfer. haha. I was terrible and didn't really know what I was doing at all. Played those clubs maybe 2-3 times (all institute related "meetings") and they mostly sat in storage until 2015 when for whatever reason I decided to take up golf. At that point I gave most of those clubs to a buddy for his kid to use. I did keep the g10 hybrid and played it until this year when I picked up a g410 hybrid.

I purchased a set of Top-Flight clubs from a pawn shop when I lived in Houston. The first set I got excited for was a used set of Taylormade R7 TP irons way back in like 08.

Box set of Northwesterns in 2000(ish). They didn't last long. Even as a beginner, I realized pretty quickly that they were crap. I bought a used set of Callaway X-12 irons about two months later from a member on a now defunct golf forum.

I started playing back in about 1965 or so. I used some hand me downs until i was 18 When my dad bought me a new complete set of PowerBilt Citations for my high school graduation. I replaced the woods after my driver broke back in the late 70’s. My next irons I bought were a used set of Nike‘s 4 months ago. First new set of irons I bought was a month ago, Titleist T300’s

So my grandpa bought me a set a long time ago just to get me out there playing. Once I figured out how much I liked it, and got a little more consistent after college, the first set of clubs I purchased myself were Nike Vapor Fly irons. It’s been a big rabbit hole of purchases ever since.

Last edited:
The first used set I bought was a used set of Ping Eye (not 2) clones. The first set I bought new was the original Titleist DCI.

First club I bought myself was a Cobra Fly-Z driver/wood setup

I didnt buy my first set I traded for them. I worked for a company who sold running shoes so I traded shoes for a box set of Wilson Sam Snead irons and woods.

So my grandpa bought me a set a long time ago just to get me out there playing. Once I figured out how much I liked it, and got a little more consistent after college, the first set of clubs I purchased myself were Nike Vapor Fly irons. It’s been a big rabbit whole of purchases ever since.

I can imagine it being a bit of a rabbit hole. :)

I bought my first set in high school around 2002-2003 with money I made from mowing. I think I paid about $600 total for a set of Square Two Powercircle II's with a bag and a $30 putter. I still have those club somewhere in my parents attic. It was a pretty good set to start off with. I played them until about 2012 when I bought my current Cobra S3's.

First set was a half set of 1 and 3 wood and 3, 5, 7, 9 and putter. Then a full set of Spalding Topflite woods and irons used. 2nd set was Wilson Staff Dynapower 1965 woods and irons.

They were Wilson 1200 somethings. The cavity was painted blue, early to mid 90’s.

A Spalding TPM putter. Bought it in the late 70s, I believe.

It was the Summer after 7th grade 1976. I decided I wanted to play for my Jr. High team starting in 8th grade so I bought a set of irons and a 3-wood in a canvas golf bag at the next door neighbor's garage sale - all for $5. They were old MacGregor MT irons and the 3w was a MT persimmon wood with an aluminum face insert.

After the 8th grade, I refinished and rewhipped the 3w and sold it for $35 and I used that money to buy a set of Top-Flite Professional irons and at Toney Penna driver. Those were the clubs I played with through High School and beyond.

Back