Can you remember the first club(s) you bought?

I quit baseball in '04 and a friend suggested I try golf, so I joined our company league. Found my dad's old bag in the garage. It was a mismatched set of garage sale clubs from the 80s. Took all of 9 holes to realize I absolutely hate golf and couldn't wait to get back out there again. Bought some no name anti slice irons from ebay and a beta-ti Walmart driver. Broke my 7 iron shaft on the first hole. Think the driver made it 5 or 6 before the face caved in. My buddies thought the whole setup was hilarious. One of the guys led me down a path into some "real" golf clubs. Bought a 4-PW set of Nike Slingshot OSS irons and a set of Nike Sumo fairway woods. I don't know if I've ever found a driver straighter than the Sumo, but my ears still ring occasionally from the godawful sound.

Big Bertha Warbird driver! I was 15 or 16. Can't quite remember. I worked as a gopher for a handiman and saved up my pennies and bought that bad boy. It was my pride and joy at the time!
I worked at the pro shop at our local course and bought a War Bird 5 wood as my first. I still have it.

Summer I was 19 in 2000, I was just getting into golf because my college buddies took me along for a couple of rounds and I thought it was fun. I bought a Wilson Killer Whale driver at Golf Dimensions (if I remember right) in Myrtle Beach. That club did not survive long as it was in a friends trunk when he was in a car accident.

A cheap Wilson box set with 'wet noodle' flex shafts purchased just before my first round ever. Snapped two heads off on the front nine. Traded what was left for a set of Square Two's, which were surprisingly decent clubs.

My first set was around 1985-86 - it was a garage sale set of muscleback irons, persimmon woods, a Bullseye-style putter and a tan faux leather golf bag. I want to say the irons were either Tommy Armour or MacGregor, but can't say for sure.

Some sort of box set from Sports Authority.

It was a Northwestern Tom Weiskopf 303. I needed a putter to go with the Maxfli irons and mismatched set of woods. I can't remember how I got the Maxflis or woods, and I don't remember where I bought the putter.:confused2:

Dunlop box set. 189.99. Good starter kit.

I bought a full set, bag, and pull car from a garage sale the summer after 7th grade for $35

2 years later I bought new from Nevada Bob's the Cleveland VAS irons with my grocery store job bagging groceries.

Mine were Ram and loved em still once in awhile put a Tom Watson special grind Ram lob wedge in bag just for memories.

Set of Top Flite irons

Wilson GE1200. I bought them used from Riverside Golf in Coquitlam back in 1995.

Mine was a Knight Virage Oversize set from Walmart back in '99. I think that I payed around $100 for the whole set, with a bag.

Yes, Powerbuilt Citation Irons and Woods about 40 years ago. Seemed quite expensive at the time.

Adams A12 OS. Happy to say THP was the reason I purchased them.

i'm pretty sure the dual rossie ii was the first club i bought with my own money.

Spalding XL4 irons, Powerbilt woods

Sure do and had no idea what I was doing and bought the wrong ones.

first ones i paid for were Adams Redline iron/hybrid set. the hybrids had UST Mamiya ATTAS shafts in them. :cool:

just donated them last year to my wife's aunt who is a high school golf coach.

Wilson Staff blades (2-PW) in 1972 from the pro shop at my neighborhood course. First purchase I made when I started working. I didn't hit fairway woods that well back then, but learned how to stripe that 2i. Played them for almost 20 years.

I bought a set of Bobby Jones driver, 2,3,4 woods (laminated) Irons (blades) 2 - 10. Made I think by Spalding, swing weight E2 with leather wrap grips. at a garage sale for $50. Included a bag.

Last edited:
My first set included Ram Gene Littler irons with aluminum shafts, laminated woods and a very cheap putter.
buddy of mine has a set of Gene Littler's actual irons. Not sure how he acquired them, but he worked at the pro shop at Singing Hills CC....Marco - - -Polo- - - "Scusa, ma Io sono Marco Polo". "Sono qui".

Last edited:
Back