RNG

Reaction score
Handicap
Now I go to the range almost every time before I play. Sometimes I hit the ball well on the range and play terribly and vice versa. So my question is can you tell based on your pre-round range time whether you will play up to your standards or not?? I know I can't!!!

I just hit a few to get loose and don't have a real set routine other than using a driver, 7 iron and a wedge. I found in the past that if I did poorly warming up it would mess with me the first few holes. If I hit some well it would carry over but not often enough to keep up a habit of hitting an entire bucket of balls. Good luck in whatever you plan to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use the range pre round to gauge how the round may go. I had bad warmup session and played great and vice versa

Now I go to the range almost every time before I play. Sometimes I hit the ball well on the range and play terribly and vice versa. So my question is can you tell based on your pre-round range time whether you will play up to your standards or not?? I know I can't!!!
No. Though to be honest, usually I'm so pressed for time that I get to the course, tee it up, and swing away. Range time? Ain't got no time for range time!

That's not to say that range time can't be important. At Regional Rivalry I was having a hell of a time controlling my driver on the range, and after calming down and consciously choosing a slower swing, I got it straightened out with great results for the day. So while the range might not be an indicator, it can prove useful to iron out some problems that could crop up before they plague the round.

I don't use the range pre round to gauge how the round may go. I had bad warmup session and played great and vice versa

Same way. I can warm up beforehand and hit the ball great, only to have a terrible round and vice versa. I am more interested in getting the blood flowing, feeling loose and getting the tempo in my swing feeling right.

I usually don't warm up before I play. When I do warm up, if I hit it well on the range, it's usually a sign for a bad day of golf. When I can't find the clubface at all, it's gonna be a good day.

I usually don't like to hit balls before a round off mats, if it was grass that would be a different story. Range will most likely be just to warm up and stretch though.

Absolutely I can. Are there some days where I warm up hitting it well and stink and vice versa? Absolutely. But for the most part I know.

I usually try to spend as little time as possible on the range before a round.. Most of my time is around the green.

There's no range session safe of a swing change for this guy, so no, I don't have much of a though on how I'll play based on my pre-round swings.

I try to use the pre round range to get my body to turn properly. The strike quality can change at any moment haha

It doesn't help me at all. I tend not to use the range and if I do, it's only to help stretch out.

Absolutely I can. Are there some days where I warm up hitting it well and stink and vice versa? Absolutely. But for the most part I know.

^^^^ This. I have a good feeling of how my day is going to go after I leave the range before my round.

All I know is when I can't drop putts on the practice green before the round.. I putt really well. And vice versa

For me nope. i can hit great on the range and terrible on the course or both good, both bad. Has no bearing on my round. How my round goes greatly is determined by my focus and how fluid of a swing I can make that day.

I try to warmup before I play but don't always have the time. When I do I always start with short irons until I'm loose, then I'll swing big. I try not to focus on the quality of my range shots as much as direction and control. And, I always end my range session with my 'money club'; the club I'm most confident with for approach shots. After all, the range session before a round is for getting loose, not for working on my game.

I used to feel that way, a great range session led to poor play. Now I understand it is just a warm up and once I'm warm I'm done hitting balls.

At times I'm a stud on the range. Straight ball all day;then on course I am fighting a hook. My range session and round never equal eachother.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

Per round range time is to get loose and do a quick assessment of ball flight to determine if it will be a day of fades or draws.

It may be handicap based but I expect to hit it well on the course and the range.

A couple of summers ago I really had control of my ball flight. Starting on the range after a few iron swings to get loose I would start hitting some easy swinging draws. Then after that became repeatable I'd swing harder and the ball would straighten out. Then I would hit a few fades also swinging hard. Then finish with a couple straight ones again.

It seemed to be a formula that worked. I'm sure it was all tempo & ball striking but for a few months I played some good golf for me.

I use the range to warm up my body and feel the ball on the club face. When I feel warm I hit all my evens or odds once each 75-80% power and see what ball flight is and go from there. So to the question, not sure if range is any indication of how I'll play. My range sessions always seem to be exactly the same with maybe a touch of fade or draw creeping in.

I think what you need to do is find a solid pre round warm up and just do it every time. And I'd center it around feeling the club on the ball and feeling a good tempo vs hitting shots and distances.

I usually don't warm up before I play. When I do warm up, if I hit it well on the range, it's usually a sign for a bad day of golf. When I can't find the clubface at all, it's gonna be a good day.

That's the exact same with me... played golf with the CEO Saturday and had a great pre- round range... CEO saying he expects me to shoot in the 70's etc... Just to shoot a 94.... and vice versa, I've had a range session where the farthest shot goes all of 20 yards... and shoot an 82

Nope, and it seems every time I hit the range pre-round I've played like crap so I shy away from it and just swing the orange whip to warm up.

Range time before i play is really more for stretching and warming up than an indication of where my game will be that day. Of course if contact isnt as great or ball flight is off, I will just figure out how to play with it that day versus trying to fix it.

I can't tell. I've had great range sessions lead to poor play and I've had no range sessions lead to good play. No correlation for me.

Nope, I don't put much stock in it, I pretty much just go to get the driver warmed up.

Back