Can you use too many putters?

Akh223

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, serious question guys....Do you think you can hurt your game by having too many putters? Not talking collections, but rather the number of putters you practice with and the frequency with which you change them out?

I have only 5, but I sometimes wonder if I should pick just one and only practice and use it? Obviously if the putters were virtually identical or with only minor differences I wouldn't see how switching between putters could mess with your game. However, if you have substantially different putters, does switching back and forth cause you to putt at a lower level than if you just stuck with one putter?

I am beginning to think that I need to stick with a single putter, and it reminds me of the saying; "Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

What do you all think?

I would say that having too many different style putters would be a negative thing. You could ingrain muscle memory better with one putter/similar putters, although many of us are tinkerers.

I only use one. I have several.

Play what you want, when you want. If you feel it's hurting you, change. Or done change and keep it consistent. It seems to be going alright for our staff testers!

Nope. No such thing.

Ask Justin Rose. He seems to do ok golfing and he switches putters (even complete styles) frequently. On the other hand, people like Zach Johnson and Steve Striker are some of the best putters on tour and they have used the same putter for a long time.

IMO, and it may be wrong, but I fully believe as long as you have a solid putting stroke, and you use a putter that fits your eye, that it won't really matter. I've used a bunch of different putters/styles this year, and I always seem to have about the same number of putts no matter what I use.

Depends on how mental you are with switching. I think you can have as many putters as you want but if you have ones that are all very similar in style(all anser style) I don't think it will effect your consistency as much as having 2 mallets, 2 anser and a center shafted.

I usually try to stick to one. But I have switched time to time to grubbed ones out and seem to putt fine that way too. Putters for me are so personal. Really have to fit my eye. Probably mostly a mental thing, lol

As a one putter man, I'd have to say yes

I have always felt that putting is such a feel thing. I know personally for me I could never play more then 1 putter because I am just now getting to a comfort level with what the putter will do for me. Everyone is different tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree I couldnt play with more than one at a time. It takes time to get used to the feel of one, even just at the start of a round. I would imagine switching week to week or round to round would be very annoying.

I don't think so.

Is there such a thing as "too many putters"?

This is the first season in a long time that I've used the same putter for the entire season (although it's not over yet...) and have had generally favorable results. I guess that makes me a putter monogamist.

I developed some serious putting issues (i.e. the yips) when I started putting to many putters into the rotation. I'm pretty sure that spending hours at a time practicing with different style/weights in the garage during the winter was the source of my problems.

My putting has gotten way better now that I've forced myself to stick with 1 shape/style/weight putter.

I only use one. I only change, which is not often, when I find something I feel more confident with. I know I will be in the minority here, but I don't see the benefit of switching between putters.

No you can not have too many putters... Keep them as a collection. I have roughly 15 putters. And have gamed the M6 for a couple years now.

I only use one. I only change, which is not often, when I find something I feel more confident with. I know I will be in the minority here, but I don't see the benefit of switching between putters.

In all honesty I wish I could find one and just stick with it, but I have a hard time with that haha. Not sure anyone would argue that there is a benefit to switching. I just don't think it's as detrimental as some say. But that's obviously going to be different for everyone.

I have 3 and am looking for one or two more right now. Some for collection and others to use.

In all honesty I wish I could find one and just stick with it, but I have a hard time with that haha. Not sure anyone would argue that there is a benefit to switching. I just don't think it's as detrimental as some say. But that's obviously going to be different for everyone.

There is nothing wrong with having a nice collection, plus it helps the economy :).

I just narrowed my "collection" down to a single putter. I have gone thru 7 in the last year with as many as having 4 in my arsenal at one time. I had to purge because having the others had me second guessing and constantly changing. I finally determined the head style that worked best for me and found 1 that felt the best. It's giving me fantastic results and I don't have any concerns about changing it. Now...about the driver....

Justin Rose put a mallet putter back into play at the Tour Championship after using a blade in previous tournaments. He must be a THPer

I've got a small collection, most are very different in style. For whatever reason I just like to try something different every now and again. In my match play tournament this summer I think I used 4 different putters. This works for me, right now.

Back