Can you use too many putters?

I can't see how changing putters does anything for your game. Maybe just scratch the new equipment itch, but the source of putting issues is much more likely due to the person holding it than the putter itself. To each their own, but last time I bought a putter it was because my current gamer got stolen. Collections are great, but switching putters you play is asking for trouble IMO

Last edited:
Yes. If you have/use three, it means you don't have one.

I have two putters that I play with. My Seemore PTM2 is heavier so I prefer to use it on slow greens where I might need a little extra pop. My second is a Cleveland Classic blade putter. It's lighter and I use it on fast greens that require more touch and speed control to roll the ball well.

I've got two that I switch out - a SC GoLo center shaft, and an Odyssey Versa "blade" type. I don't think switching putters hurts an average golfer. I've played with good putters who have used the same putter for 25+ years, and other good golfers who change putters every month or so. Golfers who are good putters can putt with anything. If you're not a good putter, switching things up at least keeps things interesting.

Ultimately I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I think it depends on the person and how you get confidence in your putter. You see it all the time where someone switches to a new/different club and has that honeymoon phase where they can't miss. After awhile that goes away and you may make the switch back to what you were using or buy something new and have instance confidence with it again. The cycle could go on and on. I know I am guilty of that. Heck, I've got 7 putters sitting next to me to prove it!

Ultimately, I believe that if I were to stick to one putter or club and work through my issues it would be better in the long term. But, it always seems that if I make a change it "refreshes" me and I get instant results. I'm sure it's all a mental game. The other thing for me at least is changing clubs every so often is half the fun of golf!

I have two putters that I play with. My Seemore PTM2 is heavier so I prefer to use it on slow greens where I might need a little extra pop. My second is a Cleveland Classic blade putter. It's lighter and I use it on fast greens that require more touch and speed control to roll the ball well.
Now that makes some sense. I bounce around quite a bit too. Maybe I'll add a weight to my current stick for slower greens

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

Back